Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AN/DP depth limit is 150 ft. That is the standard. If it went beyond 150 standards were not followed. From the TDI Standards available online.

"8.1 Introduction This course examines the theory, methods and procedures of planned stage decompression diving. This program is designed as a stand-alone course or it may be taught in conjunction with TDI Advanced Nitrox, Advanced Wreck, or Full Cave Course. The objective of this course is to train divers how to plan and conduct a standard staged decompression dive not exceeding a maximum depth of 45 metres / 150 feet. The most common equipment requirements, equipment set-up and decompression techniques are presented. Students are permitted to utilize enriched air nitrox (EAN) mixes or oxygen for decompression provided the gas mix is within their current certification level.

AN/DP depth limit is 150 ft. That is the standard. If it went beyond 150 standards were not followed. From the TDI Standards available online.

"8.1 Introduction This course examines the theory, methods and procedures of planned stage decompression diving. This program is designed as a stand-alone course or it may be taught in conjunction with TDI Advanced Nitrox, Advanced Wreck, or Full Cave Course. The objective of this course is to train divers how to plan and conduct a standard staged decompression dive not exceeding a maximum depth of 45 metres / 150 feet. The most common equipment requirements, equipment set-up and decompression techniques are presented. Students are permitted to utilize enriched air nitrox (EAN) mixes or oxygen for decompression provided the gas mix is within their current certification level.

OP posted a dive log to 160.3 feet. Two other dives were less than 140 feet.
I will be sure to monitor to my 45m max depth during my course and post the dive logs.

I really appreciated your write-up. Certainly anyone interested in taking training from this instructor will get a good idea of they operate from this post. The difference in your trim and positioning from the start and end of the course was huge!

I'm kind of perplexed about some things that happened though. For one, I found it a bit surprising that after just 1 day of in water skills, you immediately went and did a dive requiring 30min of decompression. Not a huge thing, but the pace seems a lot quicker than any OC or CCR tech training I've done. The second thing I found a bit surprising is that you were performing wreck penetrations during training. Do you have a cave diving background already?

I really appreciated your write-up. Certainly anyone interested in taking training from this instructor will get a good idea of they operate from this post. The difference in your trim and positioning from the start and end of the course was huge!

I'm kind of perplexed about some things that happened though. For one, I found it a bit surprising that after just 1 day of in water skills, you immediately went and did a dive requiring 30min of decompression. Not a huge thing, but the pace seems a lot quicker than any OC or CCR tech training I've done. The second thing I found a bit surprising is that you were performing wreck penetrations during training. Do you have a cave diving background already?

That's great! So happy to read your post! Made my morning :)

The progression is fast, because the skills should already be dialed in prior to AN/DP. This is handled/assessed as part of Intro to Tech. My first dive was essentially an evaluation, but I've already "passed" Intro to Tech and have about 30 dives in doubles, since January, constantly working on skills.

This is probably a good time to reiterate that paying the money doesn't guarantee a C-card. This wasn't at all like rec classes. This video might be a better way to answer your question (start at the 2-minute mark):

Regarding wreck penetrations, I'm wreck certified, but more importantly, I dive deep wrecks pretty exclusively and have lots of hours going through them. We didn't do much there that I haven't done before. I was very clear with Jimmy about my interests/goals, so I'm not sure if I got any type of special treatment, but I had lots of input into our dive plans. Being inside a wreck also offers lots of protection from the ripping currents.

I'd say, now that I'm having this retrospective, I'm realizing more and more the value of taking the class with him. He wasn't professorial/authoritative... he guided me to think and plan/execute my own dives. Again, unlike Open Water where you sort of get the certification and THEN learn to dive, I think Tech is the opposite. You learn first, the certification comes when you can demonstrate you're at the right level.

All my opinion, of course...

That's great! So happy to read your post! Made my morning :)

The progression is fast, because the skills should already be dialed in prior to AN/DP. This is handled/assessed as part of Intro to Tech. My first dive was essentially an evaluation, but I've already "passed" Intro to Tech and have about 30 dives in doubles, since January, constantly working on skills.

This is probably a good time to reiterate that paying the money doesn't guarantee a C-card. This wasn't at all like rec classes. This video might be a better way to answer your question (start at the 2-minute mark):

Regarding wreck penetrations, I'm wreck certified, but more importantly, I dive deep wrecks pretty exclusively and have lots of hours going through them. We didn't do much there that I haven't done before. I was very clear with Jimmy about my interests/goals, so I'm not sure if I got any type of special treatment, but I had lots of input into our dive plans. Being inside a wreck also offers lots of protection from the ripping currents.

I'd say, now that I'm having this retrospective, I'm realizing more and more the value of taking the class with him. He wasn't professorial/authoritative... he guided me to think and plan/execute my own dives. Again, unlike Open Water where you sort of get the certification and THEN learn to dive, I think Tech is the opposite. You learn first, the certification comes when you can demonstrate you're at the right level.

All my opinion, of course...
I recently did AN/DP here in Minnesota (actually the dives were in Wazee in WI). We don’t have a lot of instructors, but thankfully I was able to find a good one. Our dives were to 60/60/60/106/153. There is a training platform at 60 that we used, hence the repeated trips to that depth.

When I taught DP dives were to 50, 100, 100, 110, 115, and 125. The deepest part of the quarry was 130 and water temps were 38 - 40 at the bottom. No need to go to 150 anyway. Set the dives up for proper run times and decompression. Decompression Procedures courses often get too hung up on depth. The objective is to have the skills and build up to max depth over time.

All abbreviations aside, I always found it more intuitive to put the last stop at the top and the deepest stop at the bottom when writing out slates, cause I'm going up . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom