Technical Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys,,,I am nothing more than a certified 'Skin Diver' cause my original 1971 scuba c-card says thats what I am....so there! :)

Crazyduck:
Unfortunately, we have recently seen an evolution of tools/toys and it has allowed the affluent divers to buy mixed gas computers, HID lights, high end scooters, and rebreathers. Now, divers can easily outpace their personal experience compared to their gear.

Andrew

Tell me about it but I don't think we have to go as far as scooters and mixed gas computers to find examples. I think the two day OW class has also put the regulator and the BC in the category.

Crazyduck:
Unfortunately, Now, divers can easily outpace their personal experience compared to their gear.
Andrew

Darwin has a way of sorting these things out. Sad but true.

Dave

FIXXERVI6:
I asked for a definition because I've been seeing a lot of people stating "lets go do a tech dive" or "I was out at Travis doing some light tech diving" and such, so therefore I asked for a definition to see what people are considering "tech diving" or "tech lite". With the term popping up all over the place, it has to mean something, and I'm not sure what kind of diving people are putting that label on.

I dont think its unreasonable to expect some kind of definition. I think the name kind of sucks -- what the heck is "technical" supposed to mean.

The way I see it is you have a couple of characteristics of what makes a dive non-recreational.

1) any kind of physical overhead (cave, wreck penetration)
2) any kind of virtual overhead (mandatory decompression which means you cannot make a direct ascent to the surface)

Then within that you have "levels" of complexity.

For Open water (virtual overhead) I really see it split into a few levels (loosely based on the GUE model I guess)
1) Dives where a single deco gas can be used. Typically 50% nitrox or 100% O2 in the 100-170 ish range for say 15-30 minutes bottom times
2) Dives where at least 2 deco gases are needed. Probably around the range 200-260 feet or so
3) anything else :)

Wreck is much harder to characterize I would say due to the complications of penetrations, and cave would probably have its own scheme.

Things I do not see as being "technical"

- using a backplate/wing
- diving nitrox
- diving doubles
- diving long hose
- diving without a computer

Everyone else will probably feel more than free to violently disagree with me :)

Nice point Limeyx, and like the Duck said, some people equate their gear set-up to experience. I have been looked down the nose at for diving my "recreational" set-up by people who consider themselves "tech" divers because they use a BP/W and doubles.

I would propose that the idea of technical diving comes from the fact that diving 'beyond accepted recreational limits' should be preceded by additional training and experience which is more technical.

The specific area(s) of exception (deco, overhead, gas other than air, deep ...) determine the specifics of the training and experience.

This is analgous to the difference in a basic BA degree and post-graduate study. Post graduate study is more specific and detailed depending on the subject you are studying. There are many different types of Master's degrees and Doctoral degrees. They are all advanced (technical) degrees, but vary significantly.

I am specifically NOT saying 'getting more cards' - mentoring is a good option in my opinion. But this paragraph is a different discussion, IMO.

I have on more than one occasion met a person with an advanced level of certification that doesnt exibit an advanced level of competence. In fields such as diving or flying, the level of certification is important, it indicates some commitment to further training and that some standard (the certifying instructor's) has been met. But it doesnt guarantee competence.

Just my opinion.

Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXERVI6 I asked for a definition because I've been seeing a lot of people stating "lets go do a tech dive" or "I was out at Travis doing some light tech diving" and such:
Ted green hit the nail on this one:

A technical dive is when the planning exceeds the bottom time, the cost can't be rationalized, the gear weighs more than you do, the liability waiver is too thick to fold, and 95% of the dive shops don't pump what you need in your tanks :

Dave

Thought of this thread when I came across the following last night. ... Willie
Definition: "Technical diving is a discipline that uses special tools and methods to improve underwater safety and performance enabling a diver to conduct operations in a wide range of environments and perform tasks beyond the scope of recreational diving." technicalDIVER 3.2, OCT92
From aquaCORPS Journal archives

Back
Top Bottom