Technical Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's still tentative but I should know in the next two weeks. I'll be there from mid September to Thanksgiving with a couple of weekends off at a minimum.

Hijack alert, but not trying to on purpose :)

I'm rather curious here but what is a "tech dive" or what defines a tech dive for example, is simply diving doubles a tech dive? is diving deep air a tech dive, to perform a tech dive do you have to have at least one gas switch?

Now I'm not an old timer so I feel like I missed some info someplace, when I first started diving I never heard anyone say or ask "lets go do a tech dive" but now I see it all over scuba board, not just this thread so can someone please define the lingo for me :)

Thanks

Obakesan82:
It's still tentative but I should know in the next two weeks. I'll be there from mid September to Thanksgiving with a couple of weekends off at a minimum.

For Texas inland waters, the dates you indicate are usually fairly good for some reasonable water column conditions,,,,hope it works out in your work schedule. Take care,,, AK

Well from my perspective I am looking to do advanced diving with gas switches and decompression stops to continue practicing (oh and have fun). I am also looking at logging more hours on my rebreather. Depths do not have to be beyond 130 but I am not all that thrilled about spending extended times at the bottom of a very cold quarry just to hit a mild decompression obligation. 130-160 is great because you can easily do a short decompression dive, practice skills, and not freeze your butt of if the bottom temp is in the 40s. Of course deeper would be nice to sort out Trimix skills but I'll take whatever I can get :) Equipment in my view does not make it a tec dive unless you are talking about rebreathers.

FIXXERVI6:
Hijack alert, but not trying to on purpose :)

I'm rather curious here but what is a "tech dive" or what defines a tech dive for example, is simply diving doubles a tech dive? is diving deep air a tech dive, to perform a tech dive do you have to have at least one gas switch?

Now I'm not an old timer so I feel like I missed some info someplace, when I first started diving I never heard anyone say or ask "lets go do a tech dive" but now I see it all over scuba board, not just this thread so can someone please define the lingo for me :)

Thanks

I know the training agencies and insurance company does have a definition for tech diving. I don't know what the exact wording is but it does include exceeding a certain depth and/or having deco beyond a few minutes or a safety stop. It may also mention ceiling diving, real or virtual.

Obakesan82:
Well from my perspective I am looking to do advanced diving with gas switches and decompression stops to continue practicing (oh and have fun). I am also looking at logging more hours on my rebreather. Depths do not have to be beyond 130 but I am not all that thrilled about spending extended times at the bottom of a very cold quarry just to hit a mild decompression obligation. 130-160 is great because you can easily do a short decompression dive, practice skills, and not freeze your butt of if the bottom temp is in the 40s. Of course deeper would be nice to sort out Trimix skills but I'll take whatever I can get :) Equipment in my view does not make it a tec dive unless you are talking about rebreathers.

While some thing rebreathers are technical, I don't think that are classified that way by insurance/training agencies. Would love to educate some fishing people that rebreathers are just another form of SCUBA and don't give me an advantage when collecting lobster.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Get with Duggan Diving in Universal City (NE San Antonio), they are a Technical Training Center and teach rebreathers, they will have some people to hook up and dive tech with.

Duggan is a great tech shop to hook up with. You can also make a weekender to South Padre and dive with American Diving.

Standard Def is
1. Diving in an overhead environment (decompression, wreck, cave.)
2. Using more than one breathing gas.
Closed Circuit rebreathers usually meet this criteria by mixing the gas on the fly.
Only systems such as basic SCR that use a single gas do not meet that.
As a side note flying a rebreather without any PPo2 reading is mass insanity. :confused:
3. Diving beyond recreational limits.
Under current guidelines- for Ow that is 60ft, AOW is 85ft and after deep then 100ft.
Limited to a max depth of 130ft. How long till extended range moves to recreational agencies?

Should be included in technical def-
Diving Hypoxic mixes that are not breathable at the surface.
Diving dive gear that is totally inappropriate for the environment.

Personally rebreathers should be a parallel option to divers once they meet the following an agreed upon criteria.
Such as-
1. Advanced Nitrox rating
2. Diving long than 45 minutes or large doubles.
3. Diver is limited by Depth or Overhead restriction with open circuit.
Note: This will still require open circuit bailout but if not used then the gas is conserved. Recent closed circuit dives in Eagles Nest (250ft dive) consumed $30.00 of gas compared to open circuit at $200.00.
4. Nature photography. Slight gain in approaching wild animals, a lot less noise.

Andrew

Definately hook up with Duggan Diving in Universal City when you get to San Antonio. They are the tech diving guys in the area.

Stormbringer:
Definately hook up with Duggan Diving in Universal City when you get to San Antonio. They are the tech diving guys in the area.

I have heard some nice commets before on the SA shop,,,,hope to visit them in the future myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom