Technical Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Jack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Greetings, I am headed to San Antonio this fall for about 10 weeks for work and I'd love to find out what sort of tech diving options there might be (if any). I've read posts of lake travis being around 100 feet or so but nothing else and wondered if there were any deep quarries/springs or any tec charters that leave out of Galveston? I originally got my OW cert in Houston many years ago but have been on the NC coast for the past decade. Ideas would be appreciated. I anticipate being able to take a few weekends and run as far as possible to get some dive time in. Thanks!

I see by your bio picture you enjoy catching some of our Texas crawfish!! LOL

We would welcome you to the state and for fall diving. You don't really mention what type technical diving you are looking to do,,,,but as mentioned Lake Travis does offer some of the states deepest freshwater diving,,,,on a good day in the 'right spot' you can dip to the low 150's with the lake level so low as now. The Gulf offer some dive options,,,both sport and tech.. Many Texas divers find tech sites in Ark./Mo./Fl. as close road trips. Galveston offers almost nothing in terms of charters,,,,Freeport Tx. does just down the road.

Just wanted to keep diving in the fall but I have to stay relatively close to SA because of the Army. I am looking to do some rebreather diving with my dolphin (rec depths) and wanted to do some more deeper diving with mild deco obligations (just finished TDI trimix and want to continue). 150 will work fine and I figured that Galveston would be a bust but thought this would be the place to ask. I'm betting that Lake Travis at 100-150 is like NC quarry diving in terms of temp and vis. Another option I am looking at is quick flights out of SA to somewhere else on long weekends but I am not sure how many flights go out of SA since I'm from Houston. Thanks for the info!

Right now Travis is running at 150ffw,,,hmmm... 64f and as or 2 weekends ago 3-5' vis at depth.

Travis should clear up below 130' sometime this fall... really looking forward to it.

According to some old topo's and current lake level the deepest portion of the lake should be around 170 - 180 feet deep, one of the most popular areas called windy point there is a river channel out there that should be around 150's with the lake down so low.

When are you getting to San Antonio? I may be up for meeting you in Austin for a couple of tech dives at Lake Travis..

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom