Technical Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go with some of the above. With only a few dives and starting on the basic courses forget a computer at all. Get used to cutting tables on a PC and following those. Its something most people do and something you'll need to do in some shape or form as a backup as well.

Blindly following a computer isnt good - it can be wrong, it can stop working and letting the computer work your deco DOESNT mean you have enough gas to complete the dive (or a lost deco gas plan or any other contingencies).

Eventually after a few years of self-cut tables if you decide you still need a trimix multi-gas computer then consider an X1, shearwater, VR3 or whatever but not before.

Get used to diving and the discipline required to strictly adhere to run times and not relying on a computer.

Both string and Jimmer (and others) are correct that all you really should need is BT+Tables. As a matter of fact it IS better to run those before 'following a computer'. Knowing and being able to run a RT schedule is crucial. But after a number of dives and with increasingly LONGer run times on complex profiles , a computer will make life easier.....

I think the real problem here is that we have someone with <50 dives who wants to take advanced nitrox and deco. Dude, go out and get some experience first. Go smell the roses and enjoy simple NDL diving. You sound like you're going Too Far, Too Fast...

I had a VR3 and made the mistake of loading their VPM algo on it. That algo is NOT vpm, but a very apparent approximation. While the computer is a rock solid platform that can handle 10 gases, I was disappointed at the misleading sale. This computer does work well with Buhlman. The screen can be difficult to read at some angles.

I currently have a X1 and used it for both OC and CCR dives. This platform just rocks with VPM Live. It can be read from very far away.

A week ago I compared the X1 and VR3 with VPM side by side on a 250' dive. The X1 has VPM live set at a plus3. The VR3 has the VPM algo and is set at zero. When I left bottom, the TTS for the X1 was 79 minutes and the VR3 was 81 minutes. The stops were the same and time difference was maintained consistently to the surface. I was surprised at how close they were.

The X1 has everything beat, hands down, from a easy to read standpoint, and from ease of use as well, IMHO.

I think the real problem here is that we have someone with <50 dives who wants to take advanced nitrox and deco. Dude, go out and get some experience first. Go smell the roses and enjoy simple NDL diving. You sound like you're going Too Far, Too Fast...
As I have said before I am buying a computer that can do rec dives and also tech dives. I plan on moving into tech this summer. I just don't want to have to buy gear twice. I assure you I want to do some more deep NDL dives before jumping into tech. I want to be trimix certified in 5 years. That seems like a reasonable goal to me. For my rec setup I plan on using a Halcyon BP/W with Apeks regs. Then when I go to tech just buy a second set of regs and a new wing.

Best bet is to buy a normal computer like a vyper or similar that has a gauge mode.

Then you have a computer for normal no-stop diving and then in gauge mode its a working backup or a primary for self cut tables. So the money isnt wasted and you wont have to buy twice.

I am looking for a technical dive computer that can do at least 3 gas blends. What are all of ya'll diving and why. I have been looking at the Suunto "Vytec DS". Thanks for the help.

I cannot see why these Nitrox-only multiple gas computers are wanted by anybody.

They cannot do Helium.

The real tech computers that I know of are the Cochrane, the VR3, and the Nitek HE.

I have a Nitek, and it works beautifully. Best computer that I have ever owned, even better than the Suunto's (which are NOT tech computers).

I use my older Suunto single-gas computer in gauge mode as a back-up for the Nitek.

I cannot see why these Nitrox-only multiple gas computers are wanted by anybody.

They cannot do Helium.

The real tech computers that I know of are the Cochrane, the VR3, and the Nitek HE.

I have a Nitek, and it works beautifully. Best computer that I have ever owned, even better than the Suunto's (which are NOT tech computers).

I use my older Suunto single-gas computer in gauge mode as a back-up for the Nitek.

The Nitek He isn't made any longer. It's being replaced by the eventually-to-be-released-but-not-yet-available Nitek X.

Hi Battles, thanks for the good info. I have a Vytec now but have been looking at the next level past its capabilities as I progress into Extended Range and Trimix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom