Technical Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opti12206

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a technical dive computer that can do at least 3 gas blends. What are all of ya'll diving and why. I have been looking at the Suunto "Vytec DS". Thanks for the help.

With 25-49 dives, why do you want a 3 gas computer? You can do some really big dives on backgas and a deco gas. Also realize that vplanner and decoplanner with a bottom timer are routes that some people choose to take.

Perhaps a little more description of what you're looking to do would help here, my apologies if I'm looking too far into it.

To answer your question, I know a LOT of people are ohh and ahh'ing over the liquivision, but it's way out of my needs and budget right now.

I am wanting a dive computer that can be used for technical dives. I am planning on starting advanced nitrox and deco procedures this summer. I was talking with my LDS today and he recommended a computer that does 3 gas blends. He also said that AI was important, but I was under the impression the AI was not really part of technical diving.

Suunto's have a very conservative algorithm. Also, a 3-gas computer is going to have limited use w/ Nitrox. By the time you need 2 deco gases, you will likely be in trimix territory. If you are just going to dive nitrox, I would get a Nitek Duo or one of its clones. If you are stuck on a three gas computer, pick up a used Nitek 3. If you plan to get into Trimix down the road, you may want to bite the bullet and get a computer that will grow with your needs, like a X1, Shearwater, or VR3. I have a Shearwater Pursuit that I use for trimix and OW technical dives but I still use my Duo in the caves.

I am wanting a dive computer that can be used for technical dives. I am planning on starting advanced nitrox and deco procedures this summer. I was talking with my LDS today and he recommended a computer that does 3 gas blends. He also said that AI was important, but I was under the impression the AI was not really part of technical diving.

You must have wrote this as I was typing. I have a feeling that the LDS sells a 3-gas AI computer that they make a good margin on. Take a look at the serious technical computers (HS Explorer, VR3, X1, Shearwater, Cochran) and you will not find 1 with AI. Perhaps that will help you with your buying decision. While it is wise to seek the guidance of a good instructor when purchasing technical gear, I would be wary of anyone that tries to push you towards a certain brand or specific model of anything.

You must have wrote this as I was typing. I have a feeling that the LDS sells a 3-gas AI computer that they make a good margin on. Take a look at the serious technical computers (HS Explorer, VR3, X1, Shearwater, Cochran) and you will not find 1 with AI. Perhaps that will help you with your buying decision. While it is wise to seek the guidance of a good instructor when purchasing technical gear, I would be wary of anyone that tries to push you towards a certain brand or specific model of anything.
That is exactly what I thought might be the case. He seemed really knowledgeable on the phone, but I know he is in the business of selling gear. He was recommending some $1400 dollar AI computer. When I asked him about the VR3 he said not to get it. The VR3 seems like the holy grail of dive computers and in the basic config cost just about as much as the AI one. He also said that buying a used Halcyon backplate and wing was not a good idea. It seems to me that is a good way to save a few hundred dollars. Not too much can go wrong with a steel plate and a wing or so I thought.

Your instincts were correct. You cannot go wrong w/ a good BP/W. The VR3 was the front runner for a long time. The X1 and Pursuit I think are up there now. The Pursuit is very simple and straight forward. MUCH easier to use than the VR3. Plus, it is upgradeable from home the customer service is outstanding. The X1 is smaller and has more whistles and bells, is more expensice, and is brand new and relatively unproven in terms of reliability. I got my trimix-enabled Pursuit for quite a bit less than what your LDS is charging for that AI computer. You have some time to rack up dives before you start your class. Use that time to research your gear purchases. This is an expensive undertaking and the less stuff you have to re-buy due to poor advice, the better.

Don't need a fancy gas mix, AI computer for $1400 --the money would be better spent on something else like a good canister HID/LED Light.

All you need is a bottom timer and decompression software profile written on a slate/wetnotes, or better yet, a seminar class on Ratio Deco. . .

Honestly, I was thinking that the Zeagle N2ition would be a good dive computer for rec use, up to mixed gas tech.

Ya, that's one of the Nitek Duo clones. That will get you pretty far and acts as a pretty good bottom timer/ back-up once you move to mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom