Technical Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, I was thinking that the Zeagle N2ition would be a good dive computer for rec use, up to mixed gas tech.

There are a goodly number of people who do 2, 3, even 4 gas switches without computers at all. Of all the gear I take on "technical" dives, its the one I use least of. Except to give me depth and runtime.

The X1/VR3/HS Explorer/etc. have their place, but you have a great many other things to worry about. Like taking care of your exposure protection, lighting, and basic buoyancy needs.

If you really need a computer later, you'll have a far better idea of what you actually need as you go forward.

I am wanting a dive computer that can be used for technical dives. I am planning on starting advanced nitrox and deco procedures this summer. I was talking with my LDS today and he recommended a computer that does 3 gas blends. He also said that AI was important, but I was under the impression the AI was not really part of technical diving.

Your LDS is trying to get you to spend $1400+ on a computer when all you really need are a bottom timer, tables/v-planner, and a brain, which will cost you less than $500 for the top of the line bottom timer or around $200 for one that provides everything you need to do the dives. (Did I mention those are for buying NEW? I just bought a used bottom timer for $90 as a backup timer) Forget what you LDS is telling you. He/she is squeezing you like a sponge trying to get every last dime out of you instead of providing you with what you need to do the dives safely.

V-planner - $85
bottom timer - $90
total: $ 175

I'd much rather pay $175 and have all the functionality that I need instead of paying $1400 and have limited functionality.

I am wanting a dive computer that can be used for technical dives. I am planning on starting advanced nitrox and deco procedures this summer. I was talking with my LDS today and he recommended a computer that does 3 gas blends. He also said that AI was important, but I was under the impression the AI was not really part of technical diving.

Your LDS is full of it.

Unfortunately it is a standard business model.Fleece the new diver before they wise up.

Where are you going to be doing your technical dives? If they are square profile e.g wrecks then a computer is really not needed.If multi level then a computer might be useful,but do the course and learn the basics before even thinking about laying down $$$ for a real technical computer.

I've been diving a Vytec for 6 years and love it. For diving air as a backgas, with one or two deco mixes (e.g. 50% and 100%), it is fine. I like the bigger display digits for readbility, easy download of data to a PC. It doesn't have a stopwatch function, which a good bottom timer would provide, and as battles2a5 said, it doesn't accomodate trimix. In any event, I dive my tables and use the Vytec (and my Nitek He) as backups to the deco tables. I haven't used the AI function with my doubles. But, my dive buddy has a Vytec and put his transmitter on one of his regs, and likes having his pressure on his wrist, so I am going to try it. Is AI important / essential? No.
opt12206:
When I asked him about the VR3 he said not to get it. The VR3 seems like the holy grail of dive computers and in the basic config cost just about as much as the AI one. He also said that buying a used Halcyon backplate and wing was not a good idea.
I agree with the impression that the VR3 is expensive / overpriced. Not trying to start a war, just my opinion. I am curious why buying the used H BP/W was not a good idea for the LDS guy. Was it because it is H? Because of the wing size? All of my BPs and wings were bought used, and all have performed well.
PerroneFord:
... but you have a great many other things to worry about. Like taking care of your exposure protection, lighting, and basic buoyancy needs.
Very good advice. I find my drysuit and can light to be more useful than either computer.

I am curious why buying the used H BP/W was not a good idea for the LDS guy. Was it because it is H? Because of the wing size? All of my BPs and wings were bought used, and all have performed well.

If I were a betting man, its because that's one more piece of equipment he won't be buying at the shop. I'm sure he has a nice BC "rigged for tech" that he would love to sell him instead.

I have had/have the VR3, X1, Shearwater GF (pursuit is the same) and Apeks Quantum (= DR duo, Cressi archimede, and other re-badged).

Apeks Quantum is a two gas deco computer I used initially for many dives when I started off. Later on, and I still do now, I used it in gauge mode. These things are rock solid and keep working. Never had any issue with it. You can read it's screen well.

I had a VR3 and made the mistake of loading their VPM algo on it. That algo is NOT vpm, but a very apparent approximation. While the computer is a rock solid platform that can handle 10 gases, I was disappointed at the misleading sale. This computer does work well with Buhlman. The screen can be difficult to read at some angles.

I currently have a X1 and used it for both OC and CCR dives. This platform just rocks with VPM Live. It can be read from very far away.

My CCR has a Shearwater GF attached. I like this platform as well. It is well thought out and the menus are so intuitive. It can handle more gases than you will realistically need. The unit is quite large (I head that the pursuit is 1/3 smaller, but that still is a significant unit) but works well.

Regardless of anything, when I dive, OC I always have my trusted Apeks Quantum with me in gauge mode. These things will serve any diver well as a computer AND/OR a gauge.

The very best non 'TMx' computer on the market for any diver IMO is the DR Nitek Duo or siml. branded models. No fluff just hard working easy to read and operate 2 gas computer//bottom timer.....can take you from O/W through Adv. Trimix. :)

Don't need a fancy gas mix, AI computer for $1400 --the money would be better spent on something else like a good canister HID/LED Light.

All you need is a bottom timer and decompression software profile written on a slate/wetnotes, or better yet, a seminar class on Ratio Deco. . .

I'll second that. If you want to spend $1,400 get a good canister light or a drysuit if you don't have one already. Or another set of doubles. All of those are going to be MUCH more valuable to your technical diving than a $1,400 computer.

I've just moved into technical diving and my primary time/deco is a Uwatec BT and V-Planner tables on a wrist slate. I have a Nitek Duo as well that I use as a backup in the event I end up doing a profile that I didn't cut a table for. Highly unlikely since my tech diving is square profile wreck diving, but I have it if needed.

I currently have a X1 and used it for both OC and CCR dives. This platform just rocks with VPM Live. It can be read from very far away.

My CCR has a Shearwater GF attached. I like this platform as well. It is well thought out and the menus are so intuitive. It can handle more gases than you will realistically need. The unit is quite large (I head that the pursuit is 1/3 smaller, but that still is a significant unit) but works well.

Jeez Meng, I think you're single handedly keeping the Canadian dive computer industry alive.:D

For what it's worth, I've just started down the tech road this summer, and use a Cressi Archimedes II. I bought it before I headed down this path simply because I liked how easy and intuitive it is to use. When I started my intro to tech course, my tech instructor was very pleased to see I had it and suggested I'll never need more than that and a bottom timer the rest of my OC diving life. After going through intro and talking to some tech 1 and tech 2 guys I found out that none of them were using a computer, except one who had a VR3 that was backup to his bottom timer.

After I started in the class, I picked up a Uwatec BT on blowout when the shop was getting in the new versions. I did a couple dives in Lake Erie wearing both it and my Cressi in computer mode, and noticed an interesting thing. I had gotten so into fully planning my dives like I learned in Intro, that I found myself almost never looking at my Cressi, and doing the dives almost exclusively by reading the bottom timer.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom