Tech Diving and Air Integration

Does Air Integration have a place in tech diving?

• Currently use AI on tech dives.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Would use AI on tech dives given the opportunity.

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • AI has no place in tech diving.

Votes: 50 47.2%
  • Previously used AI on tech dives, but no longer do.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Indifferent.

Votes: 21 19.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The AI computer will tell you pressure for Tank #2, 3, etc.

But in all seriousness... Putting additional AI transmitters on your deco bottles is a bit much IMO, but even still... If you suck your deco bottle dry, you planned your dive poorly, or you switch to one of the other gasses you have on you and finish your dive... yes?

I generally use the AI on my back gas only, just for the convenience of having the pressure readout on my wrist with everything else I frequently check it's super easy that way. A deco bottle is right in front of you anyway, and the SPG should also be almost in vision range at any time when you're decoing out... yes?

Absolutely yes, it doesn't matter what method you use to determine tank pressure if you can't plan your gas properly. I was really just curious whether there was any added benefit to a computer and a bunch of transmitters, which is what a couple of people were saying was possible. You've actually confirmed my thinking by saying the SPG on a deco bottle is pretty much right in front of you when you're using it - I was wondering whether there's any benefit to having to toggle through readouts on a computer rather than glance at an SPG, and I still can't see it.

Other than the fact that my own experience with AI didn't work well, I don't see any real issue with monitoring back gas that way, but I don't see that the extra expense is worth it for the marginal convenience of looking at my wrist rather than an SPG.

With SPGs, no matter how many tanks I'm carrying, I can tell the pressure in any individual tank by looking at the SPG attached. Reasonably foolproof, even for a reasonably talented fool like myself. For the sake of argument, if I want to know the remaining pressure of the gas I'm actually breathing and I've managed to get confused about which tank it is - please remember, this is for the sake of argument, there are so many ways I'm not breathing from a tank without knowing exactly which tank it is, try not to get distracted and start flaming me - I can trace the second-stage hose to the tank and look at the attached SPG. Still foolproof.

With a ten-transmitter AI set-up, how do I know which tank goes with which read-out on my computer? I ask in all seriousness, since I've never used a computer that could track more than one transmitter. Do you have to number the tanks, or assign each gas a transmitter code before diving, or what? In the event of a gas-management problem, is the AI computer going to add stress because you can't do something as simple as look at the SPG attached to a tank?

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I forget to tell multi-gas computers that I've made a gas switch. I've fixed that problem - I've gone back to diving runtime with bottom timers. Can't see myself swapping SPGs for AI any time soon. Oh, and the AI computer I did own? It's a paperweight. endless synching problems, two transmitter failures, followed by a catastrophic failure of the computer itself. I could have bought so much more interesting kit for the price of that computer...

As for the data-gathering argument, if I want to know how much gas I consume during the bottom phase of a dive, I look at my SPG when I get to the bottom, keep track of average depth, and look at my SPG before beginning my ascent. I use a pencil to write it all in my wet notes, which have yet to flood/crash/spazz out for no apparent reason. Call me a Luddite.
I still find dive computers about as user friendly as TV remote control, which means not so friendly. Tapping through screens and figuring out how to get from one place to the next can make my head hurt. I struggle with getting from window to window, changing from air to nitrox, etc. On the surface! Not that I can't do it but it's not something fluid and easy for me. I'm not a techno geek by any means. I cannot even begin to think of trying to add that kind complexity to a dive ( haven't started tech diving, yet, but getting close to starting the training). I feel that when I start making more advanced, deco dives, I'll be challenged and task loaded enough without having to add running a complex computer underwater.
When dive computers become as friendly as an IPad, then I could see myself using AI and asking it to track multiple tanks, do gas switches, etc, underwater. I would absolutely love it, then!
Until then, I'm probably safer using a bottom timer and SPG.

i have seen a couple of them. kinda large, no tech diver i have discussed them with thought they would like them. initially i thought i might want one, but with my astigmatism i cant read the display...also i have heard too many stories of them being lost.

Is this a common practice that I'm unaware of? I can't recall ever "showing" my buddy how much gas I have left rather than communicating with hand signals.

When I started diving I was alway taught to show the SPG to my buddy and they would reciprocate, I frequently use signals too, however as I usually have a camera in one hand it is difficult to make a T sign for 100

I probably prevented an OOA for a novice diver last year when I noticed their gas was at 50 bar and they were at 30M, signaled to the DM who was leading that person and her buddy (As part of our dive group of 4) to end their dive after 10 minutes. IMHO the buddy pair should not have been diving to that depth given their appalling buoyancy control during the check out dive the day before but that is another story.

Because of her poor diving skills the day before I was keeping my eye on her gauge, my daughter who was my buddy, had been discussing how long she would last earlier on.

Anyway I digress, sorry about that, now I am wondering if the T sign is universal for 100 Bar especially as many people on this site probably use psi

When I started diving I was alway taught to show the SPG to my buddy and they would reciprocate, I frequently use signals too, however as I usually have a camera in one hand it is difficult to make a T sign for 100

I probably prevented an OOA for a novice diver last year when I noticed their gas was at 50 bar and they were at 30M, signaled to the DM who was leading that person and her buddy (As part of our dive group of 4) to end their dive after 10 minutes. IMHO the buddy pair should not have been diving to that depth given their appalling buoyancy control during the check out dive the day before but that is another story.

Because of her poor diving skills the day before I was keeping my eye on her gauge, my daughter who was my buddy, had been discussing how long she would last earlier on.

Anyway I digress, sorry about that, now I am wondering if the T sign is universal for 100 Bar especially as many people on this site probably use psi

Generally speaking, if someone asks about my gas and I have not yet reached turn pressure all they're going to get back is an OK signal. Otherwise we'd be turned and headed back and there'd be no need to ask.

now I am wondering if the T sign is universal for 100 Bar especially as many people on this site probably use psi
From my training the T sign can mean either half tank ie. 100 bar or termination of the dive. It is better to agree on the meaning with the buddy first.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom