Tech Diving and Air Integration

Does Air Integration have a place in tech diving?

• Currently use AI on tech dives.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Would use AI on tech dives given the opportunity.

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • AI has no place in tech diving.

Votes: 50 47.2%
  • Previously used AI on tech dives, but no longer do.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Indifferent.

Votes: 21 19.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Suunto Cobra (air integrated with no transmitter) in about 2000, and I used it for hundreds of recreational dives. I still have it, although it has not been in the water in a few years.
I just put a battery in mine and found out I had incurred three minutes of deco. It indicates that I am at 400 fsw so I am going to try another battery before throwing this one out. :D

So let's say that we have a hypothetical fool proof AI computer that can read a different indestructible transmitter on every tank you use. Would I use it? I am trying to think why I would. What benefit do I get from this that would make it worth while?
I really like having the information about my PSI right on my wrist. So shoot me! :D

So I have a couple of questions for those who use AI in their tech diving:

If you are using an AI computer with all functions operating for deep or prolonged air/nitrox diving with decompression on different gases, did you purchase the computer for that purpose, or was it one you already had been using for recreational purposes?
We use the Galileo Sol for Open Water students and we use it with all functions for deep and deco dives.
If you are using an AI computer with all functions operating for deep or prolonged air/nitrox diving with decompression on different gases, do you plan to get trimix training in the future, and, if so, will you be getting a new computer when you do?
The Galileo Sol trimix upgrade is available and free.
If you feel AI is valuable for one gas, why is it not valuable for the other gases? If it is not valuable for the other gases, why is it valuable for the first one?
The Scubapro Galileo Sol will monitor all gases when you switch to that specific gas.

---------- Post Merged at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Excuse my ignorance--it will track 10 different transmitters on 10 different tanks?
Yes, the Scubapro Galileo Sol will track up to 10 different transmitters on 10 different tanks.

I use two Galileo Sols when doing tek dives with two transmitters each. Redundancy.

On my Sea of Cortez trip a few weeks ago, we had two high pressure hoses fail and one SPG.

No hoseless air integrated dive computers.

On my Sea of Cortez trip a few weeks ago, we had two high pressure hoses fail and one SPG.
I remember doing emergency surgery on one of them (not mine). It's good to know that the Sol can track so many devices. I think Oceanic has that ability as well.

So I have a couple of questions for those who use AI in their tech diving:

1. If you are using a computer originally purchased for recreational diving and are using it for tech diving in gauge mode, would you have bought the computer new for that purpose (which is understandable), or would you have instead gone with a bottom timer and spg?

2. If you are using an AI computer with all functions operating for deep or prolonged air/nitrox diving with decompression on different gases, did you purchase the computer for that purpose, or was it one you already had been using for recreational purposes?

3. If you are using an AI computer with all functions operating for deep or prolonged air/nitrox diving with decompression on different gases, do you plan to get trimix training in the future, and, if so, will you be getting a new computer when you do?

4. If you feel AI is valuable for one gas, why is it not valuable for the other gases? If it is not valuable for the other gases, why is it valuable for the first one?

Computer is Uwatec Luna w/PMG upgrade
1) I dont use it in gauge mode. I would not buy an AI comptuer for tec diving, but not a bt/spg combo alone either.

2) Already was using it for recreational.

3) I can get the TMx upgrade for my computer, but plan to move to a different computer that is not AI for both rec and tec. Something like a new Shearwater Petrel.

4) It's value in technical diving to me is just the convenience of a quick glance at my arm to see remaining backgas supply and very accurate SAC rate calculations. That said, it's certainly not a need. I don't see AI as a benefit for deco gasses. I have what I have plus the SPG on deco regs is easily visible - not that my SPG for backgas is in any way difficult to unclip and look at. That and the cost for the transmitters required to monitor multiple tanks with AI for a multi-gas dive is an extra 800 bucks that doesn't pass my cost/benefit test. I'd rather spend that money on airfare to Coz or something.

OK -- I am (in theory) a technical diver although the reality is that I'm a "Line Following Cave Tourist" and I don't really like diving that deep and doing mid-water deco (and I find wrecks pretty uninteresting for the most part). So maybe my opinion doesn't particularly count.

a. I use two (gasp) AI "computers" when diving doubles -- my "beloved Cobra" off my left post and transmitter/Vytec off the right post. I suppose there is a slight risk increase that the transmitter could catch on something while in a cave (or wreck) but given how it is arranged, the bigger risk is having the first stage broken than the transmitter (it points down)

b. Both "computers" are in guage mode.

c. I like having my PSI easily seen on my wrist -- just as I get time and depth -- all the info at the same time.

d. IF (and it does happen) the Vytec doesn't sink or goes T.U., then I'm back to my Cobra and I can't think of any reason why the Cobra is any better/worse than a brass/glass SPG. Both are on a hose and clipped off. (OK, yes I replace the battery once a year -- big deal.)

(And yes, I have needled TSandM about her catching her brass/glass SPG on a line more than once when my Cobra is designed NOT to catch!)

Reactions: Jax
I think the question needs to be revised a bit. I would say 'Is AI a feature that would appeal to you in a technical computer?'.

Will an AI computer kill you? No. Will brass and glass kill you? No. Realty is its not a dangerous situation, but is it a feature set that is appealing to tech divers?

As I said, it's a $$ thing to me. I can set up my gear much more fiscally conservative with SPGs. If my SPG craps out, I'm more likely be able to get a replacement for it than a transmitter (at a lower cost). And finally, I love technology, but not for technologies sake.

Well I did not know that any of the tech computers could read such a variety of transmitters. I stand corrected on that issue.

My questions now would center upon the cost/benefit ratio, the potential for failures of mutliple transmitters, the potential for failures to synch with multiple transmitters, etc.

The most important question is the overall benefit--is it merely that I can at any time see the amount of gas in each of the cylinders by looking at the wrist rather than the spg?

My questions now would center upon the cost/benefit ratio,
It's diving man. Unless you're an instructor, you're doing it for fun. Even as an instructor, a lot of my gear configs are for fun. No, I can't afford every piece of kit I want, but that doesn't mean I don't want it.

If you want to come up with more benefits you can.

Let me see...
IF I had a failure w/my left post reg and had to shut it down I could use the AI on the right post to still read how much gas was available. Also, I can compare my SPG and AI computer to ensure they match up, which tells me my isolator valve is open.

Now to be fair both of these are a bit of a reach: I would know within a couple hundred psi how much gas I have in the shutdown scenario, and it's easy enough (and should be done as a pre-dive check anyway) to make sure isolator valve is open.

Just as easily you can come up with all kinds of "failures" too...

You could hit the transmitter in a wreck and break it (I read that a few weeks back somewhere). My transmitter is pointed down on the right post. The right 1st stage would hit, or my head (eek!) more likely, before the transmitter. Also, I am not sure I could possibly swim all those cylinders fast enough, inside a wreck mind you, to hit that hard anyway. Maybe some people scooter around on full speed inside a wreck, but I sure don't.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom