Tech Dive on the Clipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My buddy and I are going to be setting up a tech trip to dive the Texas Clipper. We don't have any specifics or dive plan put together yet but we are thinking about it for mid to late Feb.

Would anyone else be interest in going down with us. I would like to fill the boat so we could do what we want.

Any interest?

thanks

Layne

IANR33 what tech trips are you referring to in the gulf that restrict you to 130 feet? I only know of the Spree doing tech trips in the gulf a few times a year and they do not restrict you to 130 feet. The Oriskany does not restrict you either.

My buddy and I are going to be setting up a tech trip to dive the Texas Clipper. We don't have any specifics or dive plan put together yet but we are thinking about it for mid to late Feb. Would anyone else be interest in going down with us. I would like to fill the boat so we could do what we want. Any interest?
thanks
Layne

I know 3 or 4 people who might be interested but the Feb timeframe is a little to close and the weather can be volatile. It woudl suck to get all your mixes, planning, gear and everything ready and then the trip get cancelled due to weather. Any interest in May or June? How many do you need to fill a boat for tech?

I am not sure what type technical diving the Clipper site would allow you....it is in shallow water good for 'extended range' air or mix and of course a bit of prepped structural overhead. I know SI Scuba is trying to put together a trip on 2/23...$200. I am on the same basic page with Debra as to a different/better date...at least for us here in north Texas facing a bit of a drive each way.

As I recall the sand is 135 feet where the Texas Clipper is reefed.

Yeah, there's a definite cap on depth around 137 I hear. I'd be game to get in on the trip, just give me a price, date, and time!

IANR33 what tech trips are you referring to in the gulf that restrict you to 130 feet? I only know of the Spree doing tech trips in the gulf a few times a year and they do not restrict you to 130 feet. The Oriskany does not restrict you either.

I went to Geyer Bank on the Sea Searcher and they had a limit of 130. The Sea Searcher is now history and it sounds like the 130 limit died with it. My Bad

Ahhh 135 feet, I forgot about that on the CLipper. Nah the guys I know will want to go 150 plus.

Just talk to Tim O'Leary at American Diving on SPI, you'll be diving in his backyard, AND he is the Technical Diving Director for NAUI - if there is anyone that can profile some technical dives for you, he can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom