Tech Dive on the Clipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahhh 135 feet, I forgot about that on the CLipper. Nah the guys I know will want to go 150 plus.

Just tell them it's 130 feet down and 100 feet in for a total of 230 feet. :wink:

Just talk to Tim O'Leary at American Diving on SPI, you'll be diving in his backyard, AND he is the Technical Diving Director for NAUI - if there is anyone that can profile some technical dives for you, he can.

I have visited with Tim several times, he seems like a nice fellow and wants to make the most out of your diving experience on his charters.

I hope to hit the Clipper later in the year, Feb. though is just not worth the planning and waiting to see if the trek makes, very similar to the FG trips in yearly season.

My buddy and I are going to be setting up a tech trip to dive the Texas Clipper. We don't have any specifics or dive plan put together yet but we are thinking about it for mid to late Feb.

Would anyone else be interest in going down with us. I would like to fill the boat so we could do what we want.

Any interest?

thanks

Layne

I might be, depending on what you're planning to do that would make the dive technical. It's only about 130' deep at it's deepest point. What makes the dive technical? Extended bottom time with deco? Wreck penetration? I'd be up for those. Is there anything else you had in mind?

OK, here is what I found out.
First, American diving can provide the following - helium, oxygen, nitrogen and soda sorb if needed. They do not mix recreational divers with gas divers. The logistics, surface intervals and top side support do not mix well.

They provide trimix and hyperoxic trimix, nitrox, oxygen, or heliox. The Clipper is a relatively shallow dive and EAN 32/36 is great on the top side with 26/17 being more ideal on the port side.

A technical diving trip is $200 per diver for two dives with a three hour surface interval. Technical divers maximum is 10 divers. Recreational diver maximum is 20 divers.

Boat cost is $2000 per full day from Monday through Thursday. Friday through Sunday is $3200 per full day. Full day trips include all beverages, breakfast, lunch, and snacks.
Vessel has been remodeled and is currently air conditioned, heated and a new lavatory.

Last week they took Sea Sports from Houston Texas out on recreational dives. Visibility was 30 feet on the first dive. Second dive the wind changed to the north and the current changed and came from the north. Sea state was one to three. Visibility went down half way through the dive to 10 feet. Visibility will likely remain 30 to 40 feet until March.

Yesterday the water temp on bottom was 66 degrees and seas were 5 to 7

So, what do you think

Layne

I might be, depending on what you're planning to do that would make the dive technical. It's only about 130' deep at it's deepest point. What makes the dive technical? Extended bottom time with deco? Wreck penetration? I'd be up for those. Is there anything else you had in mind?

I know depth is fun and all but so is extended time on the wreck. Not saying you have to dive mix, just saying I want to go to the bottom and stay as long as I can... and yes, wreck penetration.

Layne

I know depth is fun and all but so is extended time on the wreck. Not saying you have to dive mix, just saying I want to go to the bottom and stay as long as I can... and yes, wreck penetration.

Layne

That's what I figured you were shooting for. I'm in as long as I don't have a conflict with the date.

Hopefully, the weather will work with us for our trip to the Clipper this weekend and I'll have a little more info to share about the wreck after we dive it.

Back
Top Bottom