Tech / Deep Diving at Mansfield Dam - 22-23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fixxervi6:
texdiveguy:
... Wreck penetration diving involves all the skills and risks associated with cave diving and then some ..

Sorry but this is not correct, some risks are similar some are different, but wreck penetration does not involve all of the skills and risks assocated with cave diving and then some, this statement is simply not correct.

just for a quick example do think you will ever find yourself 3,000 feet inside a wreck from an exit? Due to the penetration range of cave dives some of the rules change, this doesn't make a cave diver more of a "man" than a wreck diver, it just means not all of the risks and skills in cave diving apply to wreck diving - different, just like in a cave you don't have to worry about the current shifting on you or the cave colapsing on your, its just differnet environments with unique risks.

Give the guy a break, he's neither adv wreck nor cave certified; he's just making a point.

texdiveguy:
Also a class which I am going to do is a basic Cavern Diving class,,,,you will pick up good line and reel skills//propulsion techniques and some gear configuration ideas (althought wreck is a bit different in the req. gear).

I do agree here, cavern is a good class

FIXXERVI6:
Sorry but this is not correct, some risks are similar some are different, but wreck penetration does not involve all of the skills and risks assocated with cave diving and then some, this statement is simply not correct.

just for a quick example do think you will ever find yourself 3,000 feet inside a wreck from an exit? Due to the penetration range of cave dives some of the rules change, this doesn't make a cave diver more of a "man" than a wreck diver, it just means not all of the risks and skills in cave diving apply to wreck diving - different, just like in a cave you don't have to worry about the current shifting on you or the cave colapsing on your, its just differnet environments with unique risks.

Hey Rick... I think you took my statement the wrong way.....you are very much 'correct' in that wreck and cave diving have unique and differnt skills involved--no dought! My point was that so much of recent wreck diving training/skill development has been taken from the skills developed by cave diving over the years and then modified to better address the nature of the wreck diver enviroment. The good natured rivalry between tech wreck and tech cave has been on going for a long time. We could both spend hours throwing 'what if's' back and forth which is silly. Both full cave and full wreck penetration diving are highly tech and involve high levels of risk. You are very much into caving and has taken the proper training to allow to expand your experience,,,I have found that just getting the cert. is just the beginning (book knowledge and basic/adv. skill dev.),,,continue your learning and practice of your sport and that is what diving is all about. Keep up the good work and your willingness to help educate divers interested in caving.

This is probably a topic for another post, but as long as we've tangented -

Recommendations for good wreck class in texas? (Basic wreck is pretty much the same at most places, I would suspect. (Ideally I'd like to get my basic wreck cert somplace other than CSSP or Travis - something more along the lines of real world stuff.)

Any MAJOR differences between PADI, NAUI, TDI, DSAT (I'm sure I forgot a few) wreck training?

I'd be interested in cavern as well, but not full cave -

I think there's an outfit down in South Padre that does Adv. Wreck training (American Diving - South Padre?)

Anyhoo - just thinking out loud.

Daylonious:
This is probably a topic for another post, but as long as we've tangented -

Recommendations for good wreck class in texas? (Basic wreck is pretty much the same at most places, I would suspect. (Ideally I'd like to get my basic wreck cert somplace other than CSSP or Travis - something more along the lines of real world stuff.)

Any MAJOR differences between PADI, NAUI, TDI, DSAT (I'm sure I forgot a few) wreck training?

I'd be interested in cavern as well, but not full cave -

I think there's an outfit down in South Padre that does Adv. Wreck training (American Diving - South Padre?)

Anyhoo - just thinking out loud.
I could be mistaken but I don't believe that PADI has a wreck class besides their speciality which depending on the instructor there may not be a whole lot to it. I don't think there are many wreck diving opportunities off the Texas cost, at least not comperable to what you'll find in Florida or the North East. The Big-O is only 8 or so hours away off of Pensacola. Can't wait to hit that on my next cave trip.

From what I've heard cavern is a very good way to learn the skills needed for advanced wreck. You'll learn reel use, anti-silting techniques, gas planning and some other skills applicable to wreck diving. Plus since so much of the focus is on proper trim and finning you'll enter adv wreck with a serious advantage compared to the typical AOW diver.

Might want to talk to some instructors; I know Tucker's Dive Shop in Grand Prairie offers TDI advanced wreck which will give you the needed skills to do full blown penetrations. I'm not sure if Bruce, the owner, or Kurt, my next door neighboor oddly enough, teaches the class. I did cavern and intro with Bruce; he's a good instructor and my full cave instructor thought he did a hell of a job :D.

By the way, cavern sucks. Let me elaborate on that: cavern really sucks. Florida caverns are fairly small compared to the Yucatan caverns and many of them are fairly high flow. Fighting the flow while laying line on the way in and then trying to reel in the line faster than the flow is blowing you out is too much work for the two hundred feet of cave you'll see, imho. My advice is even if you didn't care for Mexico, stick around for an extra two days and take intro as well where you'll get to tie into the main line and you'll have a lot more fun.

Crazyduck:
There is nothing worse than looking up from deep water and starting a conversation with yourself that opens with ‘Dear God.’ I have had one of those and it is not somethig you never want to do ever again.

Care to share??

D.,,,,I will tell you that finding available full Advanced Wreck Diving programs that are not booked by other students way in advance is rough,,,,at least around Lake Superior. I am going to do my Adv. Wreck training on the Great Lakes for several reasons,,,,,we have a family cabin in WI.,,,,some of the worlds best wrecks lay in the cold fresh waters of the lakes (and I am a lover of fresh water diving,,and being chilly to cold is not a real big problem when eqpt. and used to diving it),,,some of the top most sought after wreck instructors are in that area. Most courses are 4-5 days and will run around 1300-1400.00. This ussually includes course materials/classroom/pool/and 3 days on the training wreck(s)....you providing eqpt.--gas--lodging--meals. You want to interview your instructor to see what they exspect and if it fits into your plans for the future. I have plans to be completing the program this summer and also doing Cavern in Florida on a very quick trip. Also Florida and the eastern sea board offer some instructors that have good Adv. Wreck programs,,,,but for me the 'Lakes' up north is the spot! I have visited with the folks at American Diving in south Texas---nice folks but not good wreck diving as a general rule,,,they are a respected NAUI shop and this still may be something you want to check into. My Trimix training will take place next spring. My plans are to dive the Great Lakes 2 weeks a year each summer since I have a spot up there to work from. :)

texdiveguy:
D.,,,,I will tell you that finding available full Advanced Wreck Diving programs that are not booked by other students way in advance is rough,,,,at least around Lake Superior. I am going to do my Adv. Wreck training on the Great Lakes for several reasons,,,,,we have a family cabin in WI.,,,,some of the worlds best wrecks lay in the cold fresh waters of the lakes (and I am a lover of fresh water diving,,and being chilly to cold is not a real big problem when eqpt. and used to diving it),,,some of the top most sought after wreck instructors are in that area. Most courses are 4-5 days and will run around 1300-1400.00. This ussually includes course materials/classroom/pool/and 3 days on the training wreck(s)....you providing eqpt.--gas--lodging--meals. You want to interview your instructor to see what they exspect and if it fits into your plans for the future. I have plans to be completing the program this summer and also doing Cavern in Florida on a very quick trip. Also Florida and the eastern sea board offer some instructors that have good Adv. Wreck programs,,,,but for me the 'Lakes' up north is the spot! I have visited with the folks at American Diving in south Texas---nice folks but not good wreck diving as a general rule,,,they are a respected NAUI shop and this still may be something you want to check into. My Trimix training will take place next spring. My plans are to dive the Great Lakes 2 weeks a year each summer since I have a spot up there to work from. :)

Have you picked out a cavern instructor yet?

FIXXERVI6:
Have you picked out a cavern instructor yet?

Just because of the closer distance and good price I will do the Cavern course at Vortex Springs,,,it is a NSS course over 2 days for $200. Just about finished reading the manual.

From Past experience don’t screw around with a certification like this- go to someone that is doing the type of dives that you want to do in the same enviroment. If you want deep saltwater wreck diving find an instructor that lives in the environment and do it with them.

Florida- Heather Choat.
She is awesome- scare the evil thoughts right out of you.
Best contacted through TDS.
She was the surface manager for WKPP at one time. She is NAUI, mixed gas and regularly does 200ft plus dives in the gulf and else where.

Florida- Runaway Lobster ‘Lesley’
http://www.runawaylobster.com/
She is a NAUI instructor again same caliber as Heather, evil as a whip and she does wreck bombing- that has to be some serious fun!

If you want deep wreck these two ladies are diving the wrecks and have the real world experience.

I have heard good things from American in Padre- just rummors for me though.

Andrew

Daylonious:
Snip-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom