[TDI] What training should I do for wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO a good full cave class will prepare you for wreck penetration. ....

Listen to the capt. My trimix instructor in 1997 told me I should take a cave class just for the skill level (I had been tech diving since 1994). At that time I was totally not interested in cave diving, I was an ocean diver, had been since 1975. Fast forward to 2015, I take Cave 1, SHOCKED at how it changed my skills. You can really get by with some pretty poor skills when diving in a big ocean.

So, my trimix instructor was right, as always.... take Cave 1, it will change the way you dive.

The most useful training that I have had and applied to deep wreck diving( over 500 around the world) is a mediation class. Learn to control your breathing and ability to stay focused in the moment. Of course narcosis will do that as well but it can be fatal.

Hi,

I'm not sure as to what certification I should do next, I really enjoy wrecks and want to push it to the next level. So far I have a Padi DM + TDI Sidemount + Nitrox + Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures and around 400 dives.

I dive mostly as I travel, so very often with new dive centers and therefore I'm concerned about what my certifications allow me to do. I know there's also a big experience factor but I'll be the judge of this as I go.

I have many questions, I'd love to hear people's thought on them:

- Is there any point doing my extended range or should I go straight to Trimix + Advanced Trimix ?
With Trimix I can theoretically go to 60m, but would a TDI shop let me do 55m without helium or will they require my extended range?

- Any point in going full cave or advanced wreck is sufficient? Thinking about complex wreck penetrations at 40m+ depth. I know full cave will always provide good experience, but again, just worried about what dive centers will require me to have.

- I want to dive with a rebreather at some point, but still want to be able to do everything with OC as well (I travel a lot so rebreather isn't always an option). Do I have to do all the courses twice (OC and CC)? I'm thinking of Advanced Wreck and all the cave courses.

- Does it make any difference if I do these courses sidemount or not? Actually for this question I'm wondering about any restrictions I might get with dive centers around the world, but also experience. I feel like if I do everything in sidemount it will be easy to switch to twin tank, while the opposite might be more challenging, no?

Right now I was planning to do advanced wreck + trimix + advanced trimix this summer but perhaps there's a better order?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Most dive centres with wreck diving available are more concerned with you having a Deco Procedures/Advanced Nitrox/Extended Range or Trimix. If you're being guided, they would know the wreck inside out. If not, take a wreck reel to find your way out.

If you're being guided, they would know the wreck inside out. If not, take a wreck reel to find your way out.

let me add in here that being guided (in my view) is the anathema of wreck and cave diving ethos. Maybe as an introduction to a new wreck its fine but at some point along there way you need to make your own path and make your own discoveries. It really grates my gourds when i hear divers go on about the 'big' dives they've done when in reality they've had their hand held and are in fact way in over their heads if it all turned to custard.( there - got that off my chest):)

let me add in here that being guided (in my view) is the anathema of wreck and cave diving ethos. Maybe as an introduction to a new wreck its fine but at some point along there way you need to make your own path and make your own discoveries. It really grates my gourds when i hear divers go on about the 'big' dives they've done when in reality they've had their hand held and are in fact way in over their heads if it all turned to custard.( there - got that off my chest):)
When you're diving solo around the world, most dive centres prohibit full penetration unless accompanied by a guide. Sounds like you are easily frustrated by other diver's exploits? Local knowledge of a wreck site should never be disregarded.

When you're diving solo around the world, most dive centres prohibit full penetration unless accompanied by a guide. Sounds like you are easily frustrated by other diver's exploits? Local knowledge of a wreck site should never be disregarded.
let me put it this way -whats the difference between an average climber being guided up Everest or a small team finding a new route? Both have achieved to the measure of their own ability but if you asked them both "have you climbed Mt Everest?" both would say yes. Both may have performed to the limit of their own ability but how do you measure their achievement in the context of the ethos of mountaineering. So all Im saying is lets keep the answers honest so when you tell your friends 'I dived Eagles nest' when you really mean i followed a dive instructor along the line he laid

let me put it this way -whats the difference between an average climber being guided up Everest or a small team finding a new route? Both have achieved to the measure of their own ability but if you asked them both "have you climbed Mt Everest?" both would say yes. Both may have performed to the limit of their own ability but how do you measure their achievement in the context of the ethos of mountaineering. So all Im saying is lets keep the answers honest so when you tell your friends 'I dived Eagles nest' when you really mean i followed a dive instructor along the line he laid
I believe there is only two ways up Everest. In Nepal and in China. Many an experienced climbing team have met their end at Everest. These climbers are without doubt very experienced. Going up and coming down can be met with peril. You dive Eagles Nest, you dive as a team. So the guide may also need your assistance. I dived a wreck and I know these 2 guides were really testing me. One guide needed the services of his trusted friend to come along. So to your question: everyone feels vulnerable. And I believe this reflects training standards which I won't go into since I don't like to dribble.

Most dive centres with wreck diving available are more concerned with you having a Deco Procedures/Advanced Nitrox/Extended Range or Trimix. If you're being guided, they would know the wreck inside out. If not, take a wreck reel to find your way out.
I'm no expert but I definitely don't think taking a reel to find my way out inside a new wreck is a good idea if I don't have any wreck/cave training :D

But agree with you, when travelling alone (which is always my case), you're almost always forced to go with a guide anyways.

Whoopee! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me.

— Pete Conrad

I don't think there is really a need to downplay peoples personal experiences. If you have a line or guide to follow you just are taking more in and working less, probably having a better time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom