[TDI] What training should I do for wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyndle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm not sure as to what certification I should do next, I really enjoy wrecks and want to push it to the next level. So far I have a Padi DM + TDI Sidemount + Nitrox + Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures and around 400 dives.

I dive mostly as I travel, so very often with new dive centers and therefore I'm concerned about what my certifications allow me to do. I know there's also a big experience factor but I'll be the judge of this as I go.

I have many questions, I'd love to hear people's thought on them:

- Is there any point doing my extended range or should I go straight to Trimix + Advanced Trimix ?
With Trimix I can theoretically go to 60m, but would a TDI shop let me do 55m without helium or will they require my extended range?

- Any point in going full cave or advanced wreck is sufficient? Thinking about complex wreck penetrations at 40m+ depth. I know full cave will always provide good experience, but again, just worried about what dive centers will require me to have.

- I want to dive with a rebreather at some point, but still want to be able to do everything with OC as well (I travel a lot so rebreather isn't always an option). Do I have to do all the courses twice (OC and CC)? I'm thinking of Advanced Wreck and all the cave courses.

- Does it make any difference if I do these courses sidemount or not? Actually for this question I'm wondering about any restrictions I might get with dive centers around the world, but also experience. I feel like if I do everything in sidemount it will be easy to switch to twin tank, while the opposite might be more challenging, no?

Right now I was planning to do advanced wreck + trimix + advanced trimix this summer but perhaps there's a better order?

Thanks in advance for your help!

IMO a good full cave class will prepare you for wreck penetration. Obviously a few things such as wreck specific hazards are not covered in a cave class. However IMO 95+% is covered.

I teach both cave and advanced wreck and am basing my statement on that experience.

You might find this thread useful: Wreck Penetration
Thanks, very interesting thread! I'll definitely make sure I include some blackwater training before I do any serious wrecks!

IMO a good full cave class will prepare you for wreck penetration. Obviously a few things such as wreck specific hazards are not covered in a cave class. However IMO 95+% is covered.

I teach both cave and advanced wreck and am basing my statement on that experience.
Thanks. Just to clarify, are you saying that Full Cave by itself is sufficient for wrecks (assuming I read about the 5% missing)?
Would you say that it's even better than just doing Advanced Wreck?

Thanks. Just to clarify, are you saying that Full Cave by itself is sufficient for wrecks (assuming I read about the 5% missing)?
Would you say that it's even better than just doing Advanced Wreck?

I am saying that an Advanced Wreck Course is the best way to go if advanced wreck diving is your goal. I do NOT mean an advanced wreck course where you are taught to use strobes in place of a guideline. Using strobes in place of a line is crazy, IMO. I am also saying if you take a good cave course it is a 95% substitute for an advanced wreck course.

When I started doing advanced wreck diving I only had a cave instructor course and that experience under my belt. After I completed an advanced wreck course I did not feel that it helped me that much in terms of being a safe wreck diver.

Thanks, that makes sense.
Any recommendation as to whether its better to do it sidemount or backmount?

Ideally I want to keep my options open to avoid a situation where I am only competent to dive wrecks with sidemount and go to a shop where they cannot rent sidemount gear. But also don't want to be only able to do backmount dives and get to a wreck that can only be accessed with sidemount (are there any?).

I went round and round about this myself....I think the cave card opens up a whole new world of diving because of the need for a card to dive most places, where as the advanced wreck teaches you new skills in overhead, silt, snags and pointy things so you can safely go further. That said, there is some knowledge to be gained with instruction in wreck diving. Setting yourself up for success hot dropping a 60m deep wreck in a current takes some knowledge. Another thing, I dive cc and its my preference to setup bailouts and regs differently between the two environments. I'd do cave, then hire a good wreck instructor to teach trimix. You can pick up some extra skills in trimix class and remember them.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Ideally I want to keep my options open to avoid a situation where I am only competent to dive wrecks with sidemount and go to a shop where they cannot rent sidemount gear. But also don't want to be only able to do backmount dives and get to a wreck that can only be accessed with sidemount (are there any?).

SM with deco bottles can be challenging. I speak from current experience working on my bottle handling skills. Going from SM to BM doubles would be easier than the other way around. Slinging a bottle
BM is child’s play compared with SM.

hot dropping a 60m deep wreck in a current takes some knowledge

Indeed it does.

However, hot dropping isn't always a part of an advanced wreck course. Being able to do this is definitely a plus.

Sidemount off of a boat with deco bottles...I'll pass on that.:stirpot:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom