[TDI] What training should I do for wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe there is only two ways up Everest. In Nepal and in China. Many an experienced climbing team have met their end at Everest. These climbers are without doubt very experienced. Going up and coming down can be met with peril. You dive Eagles Nest, you dive as a team. So the guide may also need your assistance. I dived a wreck and I know these 2 guides were really testing me. One guide needed the services of his trusted friend to come along. So to your question: everyone feels vulnerable. And I believe this reflects training standards which I won't go into since I don't like to dribble.
I solo dove Eagles Nest all the time. In fact, my last dive there was end of the line upstream and then end of the line downstream in one dive solo on the Choptima. :)

I solo dove Eagles Nest all the time. In fact, my last dive there was end of the line upstream and then end of the line downstream in one dive solo on the Choptima. :)
You know the cave like the back of your hand. You have adequate back up.

Oh yeah, from Akimbo!

Wreck Penetration

and I quote

"IMHO, the great majority of wreck diving classes compound the problem. They place great emphasize on avoiding black-out conditions and address managing it with lip service. All the talk about avoidance, spare lights, and depending on your buddy isn't very useful when you are suddenly alone and in the dark. That dread and total lack of habituation is a recipe for disaster.

How are you going to monitor your air supply if you can't see? How are you going to find your buddy -- who might be in full panic mode? How are you going to get out if you can't think straight? Becoming comfortable in these conditions far in advance of being faced with them can turn a deadly situation into an inconvenience."

This is brilliant Mr Akimbo Sir, I feel vindicatedly elevated

I have never been one for courses all my course are mine
I design them myself, been silting places out for this very reason for decades

I deliberately silted out a room diving by myself last week and terrified myself again, but breathing remained stable

Magnificent

There must be an Akimbo room somewhere where people can go to read Akimbo stuff and learn
Someone here described the time they or a buddy managed to stir up the black ash in a Japanese ship in Truk and it was instant total blackout. With, IIRC, no line.

Adventure:’Something terrifying that happens to someone else a long way away”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom