TDI (Technical Diving International) Nitrox Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazyc once bubbled...

I can't speak for PADI, but NAUI does require two dives, which must be repetitive. The instructor is required to give the students tasks to do during the dives, and this is easy to do. Also each student is required to track and record their depth every 5 minutes during the dive, so it can be graphed after the dive and CNS O2 clock can be calculated. This also allows them to take a look at their PO2 throughout the dive and reinforces the fact that they must repsect the limits that come along with diving Nitrox.

Also some students tend to have verying experiences which they like to share with each other.

I can't see teaching someone to use a new gas mixture and not allowing them to dive it.

CrazyC

Actually NAUI has 2 different Nitrox courses: Nitrox and Nitrox Diver. The first requires no dives and the second requires the 2 you mentioned above. Other than the dives the material is the same. :mean:

Nitrox is a pretty simple course...you shouldn't even need to do the dives to get the card, though I understand why they are often required. I had a good instructor, but can't say that I really learned anything at all by reading the SSI book. This isn't to say that the book isn't good, just that it is all material that is readily available online.

For Nitrox I wouldn't worry too much about who or where you take the class. As long as you understand how to come back alive, you've got it pretty well figured out.

Before you take the class, review how to do your Air tables. My instructor had to spend half the class time teaching some guy how to do his tables, while I asked him questions about his dives on the U-853.

omar once bubbled...

No they don't all talk the same language. TDI is mainly drunken goober (to borrow a phrase). I am surprised that you could not find something better in your area.

omar

Omar: I am surprised that you would use such generalizations about any agency... "TDI is mainly a druken goober" c'mon!

I'm a TDI instructor-trainer and I take pride in the quality of the courses I give and I like the freedom TDI gives me to add value to those courses. The training materials are deficient in some areas, but there is a constant review process in place to upgrade and make changes to those materials and in any case, TDI instructors (and those from other agencies too) are encouraged to supplement the text with course handout deemed appropriate by the instructors.

As for the drunken part. I can only assume this is someone's evaluation of Bret Gilliam -- TDI's president.

During the many years I have know Bret, I have never seen him drink anything except a glass of wine with dinner and a glass of Cointreau after dinner. Of the many vices that one might try to attribute to the man, drunkeness is the least appropriate!

Doppler
(A TDI guy who will occasionally drink wine, guiness or navy rum.)

SCDiver once bubbled...
I am researching to take my Nitrox course. I have found a dive store (not in our area) that teaches TDI (Technical Diving International) Nitrox. Has anyone had any courses through TDI, is it quality material and a reputable certification body?

Just never heard on them in our area, and was searching for an opinion, and I know I will get some honest ones here :)

Thanks

Hey SC:

advice would be to go with the instructor you feel comfortable with and make sure the class is going to give you the information you need to feel comfotable diving NITROX. As a basic user, you should have a comprehensive understaning of the risk's associated with pumping and diving with NITROX and also you should be taught the procedures that best manage those risks in your diving environment.

Bottom line mate is: Get the knowledge and use the gas. Also would suggest that you try to aim for diving a standard mix to become very familiar with the gas... most would opt for an EAN30 most of the time. But do think about taking a program that will allow you to use custom mixes (the the usual cut-off of EAN39)

Take care and dive safe... dive NITROX!

Doppler

VaJames once bubbled...
Omar,

Not to start a war here but I need to point something out to you. You mentioned that TDI has had prior "ethical issues" that cause you concern. What about IANTD? I mean come on!! ANDI is on its way out the door as a cert agency because everyone has strayed away from them. At least here on the east coast. I have Adv EANx and Deco Theory from TDI and I thought the course was well presented. The book reads like a children's story but all the information that you need is there and your instructor should be the key element in your training. It sounds to me as though you are biased for some reason. Would you care to give specifics??

James

:getsome:

ANDI has been growing alot lately.. up in ny we have 3 new facilities, several strong ones in NJ.. and overal growth has been good..

I'm Going down to Puerto Rico to convert a tech facility over to ANDI next month.

In Germany ANDI is now the #1 tech training agency by far... more tech certs than all the others combined... for overall certs (rec and tech) is like 3rd or 4th over there...

In 2 years we have gained in the new RHQs in the Phillipines, Benulux.. and a few others I cant remember offhand.. We also Have opened facilities all over Europe.. Are in the process of replacing a few IANTD/TDI facilities in the UK switching entirely to ANDI..

You will never see large numbers of ANDI instructors and an even smaller number of ITS.. Instructor ratings are hard enough earning an IT rating takes alot of work and dedication.. ANDI has been around since 1988 and to date has made only 110 its (some of those are strictly non diving ratings (service tech/gas blender/ medic program ect).. (I chose my number thats why its higher than 110)

ANDI's now has more course offerings than anyone else (standardized not distinctive specialties taught by some).. At last count there were around 100 unique certifications(it have to go and count), The dive medic program is undergoing review to get national approval (national safety council- ANDI has an IT from the national safety council doing the work).
Once our materials are seen we get lots of people interested in comming to ANDI the problem is getting the word out..

ANDI also loses many instructor and stores because they decide the ANDI classes are too much work(and are afraid to charge what the class is worth) and they rather make a quick buck.. The ones with this attitude leave on their own because they know if they shortcut they will get caught quite quickly and suspended/expelled.. at least 1 student from every class gets a questioneer, ALL rb and tech students get questioneers.. so If an instructor short cuts hes out..

ANDI can say one think that now other agency can claim... ANDI has gone without an insurance claim since their inception..
thats 15 years and counting.. the best (to my knowledge) that any other agency has done is FOUR years.. quite a difference..

This includes CCR clasees for over a decade and trimix classes since around 1991..

vajames,

You didn't see me recommend IANTD did you?

-----------------------------------------

As I said before, the materials are substandard and everyone here including TDI instructors have said that. In fact they say they "supplement" the materials to provide a quality course. Get a clue, If it was quality to begin with you would not have to add to it.

omar

omar once bubbled...
vajames,

You didn't see me recommend IANTD did you?

-----------------------------------------

As I said before, the materials are substandard and everyone here including TDI instructors have said that. In fact they say they "supplement" the materials to provide a quality course. Get a clue, If it was quality to begin with you would not have to add to it.

omar

Well, I think you're the only one to use the term "substandard" and I really disagree that supplementing materials somehow indicates a lack of quality. Do you teach? Anything at all, I'm not asking if you are a scuba instructor, just do you teach or have you ever taken a course as an adult... perhaps a university course. I think you have. In some of your postings, you sound as though you have an engineering background. Didn't your instructors throw in some "additional" materials... perhaps a magazine article, URL, book list?

In many years of learning and slightly fewer of teaching -- a range of subjects from calculus to Adobe Photoshop -- and including several flavors of diver training -- courses I have taken and taught have always involved supplemental materials. I'd say for a course of any kind to be useful and to illustrate the practical application of its core values, the person teaching it MUST add something.

To believe that a shrink-wrapped course arrives in the classroom containing everything needed to deliver a quality program is -- well, to be diplomatic -- simple-minded. What purpose does the instructor serve if she can't supplement that material with her thoughts, suggestions and comments? These are supplemental materials and you seem to believe they indicate some fundemental lack of quality in the basic program.

Those who produce textbooks know that it is impossible to create the definitive work on any subject -- especially one as fluid and organic as scuba diving. Those who fashion outlines for learning programs are often faced with the same problem.

I think that closing one's mind to the possibilities of change and the opportunities afforded by new ideas is the first step on the road to dogma and exculsionism. It's better to have an open mind and to use new ideas creatively to advance one's own understanding and broaden the comprehension of others... it's tough to get there from where you appear to be standing. You seem angry and frustrated.

By the way, I answered your question about oxygen analysers in the homebrewer's thread.

Doppler

SCDiver, by all means, take the class. Better to dive nitrox than air, and you'll need the card to get fills. Just make sure you ALWAYS analyze your gas before diving, you NEVER exceed the maximum operating depth (MOD) of the gas, and do not exceed a PO2 of about 1.2 (if you do not learn what a PO2 is, take the class again from someone else).

BTW, I'm not an instructor, just someone who has taken these classes ....

You might eventually want to take a GUE class because half of what they will teach you in a TDI class is (I can't think of a polite word to put here).

Now, now, Mr. DIR, lets keep it nice. Keep your comments civil, and leave out the bad words....

Just because you believe that GUE is the only agency that teaches anything the right way, doesnt mean the rest of us do...

Besides, its not the agency, its the Instructor. I have taken a few TDI classes, and I think they were a great education. Again, it was because of the instructor, not the materials, or the agency.

Doppler once bubbled...

Well, I think you're the only one to use the term "substandard" and I really disagree that supplementing materials somehow indicates a lack of quality

Hmmmm.....

Deficient: (your word)

1 : lacking in some necessary quality or element <deficient in judgment>
2 : not up to a normal standard or complement : DEFECTIVE <deficient strength>
- de·fi·cient·ly adverb

not up to normal standard = substandard

By definition to teach is to impart knowledge, wisdom and experience. With the TDI material it is much more dependent upon finding a competent instructor to adequately do this.

Not angry, just quite amused at the umbrage that the TDI instructors are taking about an opinion of the materials that TDI produces.

And for what it is worth it is a direct answer to the guys question. In my opinion there are better agencies for a EANx course.

omar

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom