TDI (Technical Diving International) Nitrox Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Now, now, Mr. DIR, lets keep it nice. Keep your comments civil, and leave out the bad words....

Just because you believe that GUE is the only agency that teaches anything the right way, doesnt mean the rest of us do...

Besides, its not the agency, its the Instructor. I have taken a few TDI classes, and I think they were a great education. Again, it was because of the instructor, not the materials, or the agency.

I thought that this is specifically what I did, keep it civil and leave out the bad words?

I'm not pulling this out of my hat, I've taken those TDI classes with the best local TDI guy, and then I took a GUE - F class. It was night and day, let me tell you.

That's just my experience of course, but take a look at what other people have posted who've taken GUE classes. EVERYONE who takes one of their classes says that.

Maybe it has something to do with the level of instruction?

Seems to be some debate on GUE vs TDI for Nitrox. Since some of you think GUE is far superior; my question to you is what does the GUE class teach that I don't?

cnidae once bubbled...
Seems to be some debate on GUE vs TDI for Nitrox. Since some of you think GUE is far superior; my question to you is what does the GUE class teach that I don't?
Would that be the rec triox class? Personally, I think any nitrox class with a good instructor that requires dives is the best way to go. I see no problem with any of the standard rec agency nitrox courses except SSI (or whoever it is) due to lack of dives.

O-ring once bubbled...
Would that be the rec triox class?

Triox? I thought we were talking about Nitrox in this thread?

O-ring once bubbled... that requires dives is the best way to go.

So what could you teach about Nitrox at the ocean that you could'nt teach in the classroom? If the students need more water training on other skills would'nt you suggest them to take a different class? Personally I try to teach the Nitrox class as an add on to an existing class the student is already taking. But I've taught many Nitrox classes with no dives required. If someone has some valid reasons why dives should be conducted for a Nitrox class please give me some good reasons and maybe I'll start requiring them but until then I won't.

cnidae once bubbled...

Triox? I thought we were talking about Nitrox in this thread?

So what could you teach about Nitrox at the ocean that you could'nt teach in the classroom? If the students need more water training on other skills would'nt you suggest them to take a different class? Personally I try to teach the Nitrox class as an add on to an existing class the student is already taking. But I've taught many Nitrox classes with no dives required. If someone has some valid reasons why dives should be conducted for a Nitrox class please give me some good reasons and maybe I'll start requiring them but until then I won't.

One of the reasons that I include a dive or two in a nitrox class is that it allow me to observe that the student follows the procedures on land and in water that were "taught" during the classroom... I find that reassuring.

Another reason is that the feedback from students -- and feedback is important -- tells me that they like having an instructor around when they dive this new gas... they find that reassuring.

I classify both those reasons as valid. But that's me and I was never one to conform! =-)

Doppler

omar once bubbled...

No it is not quality material. Everyone on here has indicated that but in the same breath dismiss it. I do not subscribe to that same standard. The training material is a direct reflection of the knowledge and expertise of the agency.

In addition, there are some serious ethical questions regarding the founder and some past directors/leaders of TDI. I would strongly urge you to do some more looking around.

As much as I dislike PADI they do have a solid (but limited) beginner nitrox course. Some other strong programs are ANDI, NAUI and of course GUE. I have PADI and IANTD EANx certifications.

omar

Omar,
You need to look for a clue. Jan Neal wrote TDI's nitrox manual with Gilliam. Say what you want about Bret but Jan's credentials and contributions to the sport are numerous and of outstanding quality. Have you ever looked to see who the author of some the NAUI materials is or is your axe only requiring a TDI grinding???? It's scary you might actually influence someone's decision with your "axe".

Doppler once bubbled...

One of the reasons that I include a dive or two in a nitrox class is that it allow me to observe that the student follows the procedures on land and in water that were "taught" during the classroom... I find that reassuring.

Another reason is that the feedback from students -- and feedback is important -- tells me that they like having an instructor around when they dive this new gas... they find that reassuring.

I classify both those reasons as valid. But that's me and I was never one to conform! =-)

Doppler

Good points, In my eyes if there's any doubt in my mind that they can't follow what was taught in the class they don't pass, I can't make them follow the rules. Feedback is always a good thing, I've just never really gotten useful feedback from diving with my Nitrox students dealing with diving the gas except for the basic one's, fatigue, longer bottom time etc... I do feel more comfortable if I do dive with them the first couple times and thats why I try to get my students to merg it with another class. But my worries are not so much to do with the Nitrox it's more that there diving ability problems may cause a problem and the gas mix may add to it.

So you are saying that dives are necessary for nitrox classes because open water instruction is so poor that you have to make sure they know how to dive.

Great.

This is why I would recommend a GUE class as a follow up to any nitrox class.

Because you are right, instruction is awful for the most part, and even after a nitrox class most people still haven't learned how to dive.

Don't believe me? How many times has the average Joe practiced the most basic and important skill...OOA. My guess is, no more than 5 times if they are lucky, and never after finishing the last class.

deepstops once bubbled...

Omar,
You need to look for a clue. Jan Neal wrote TDI's nitrox manual with Gilliam. Say what you want about Bret but Jan's credentials and contributions to the sport are numerous and of outstanding quality. Have you ever looked to see who the author of some the NAUI materials is or is your axe only requiring a TDI grinding???? It's scary you might actually influence someone's decision with your "axe".

I was just watching a show where they were bascially accusing Cousteau of starting the marine algea problem in the mediterranean.

Does it matter who wrote the book? If it's bad, it's bad. Being a great diver does not a great teacher make.

The advanced nitrox manual for TDI says that it's better to be narced and NOT know it, than to be narc'd and know it. Does this make sense?

But don't worry, TDI and all the other agencies are rapidly updating their manuals and what they teach. I'll let you guess where they are copying it from.

VaJames once bubbled...
Omar,

...You mentioned that TDI has had prior "ethical issues" that cause you concern. What about IANTD?...James

:getsome:

James,

I would have to ask, if you are going to make serious charges about an agency and, by inference, it's founder, that you be specific and spell out exactly what it is you mean!

I could, for instance, say something like:

"Ah yes, VaJames! Well we all know about his propensity for little.....well..., best not to get into that here!"

This, of course, would be slander by innuendo!

I have known Tom Mount for many years now. He is an upstanding and honorable man whose diving history goes back into the early years of our sport. He has always been a leader and innovator in the technical diving world!

Let's leave the slander by innuendo stuff where it belongs, in the "An Alien Raped Brook Shields" type rags that decorate the check-out isles at the local supermarket, please! =-)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom