Tdi/sdi Dm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, it's official, I've made it as a DM for TDI/SDI. The swims were a ****** but the written was a peice of cake!! Even though I loaded up on gatorade and bananas I still cramped up. Good thing I hade a pretty good pace until then, finning with one fin was not getting much progress. Like everything else in scuba, collected myself and stuck with it and finished with a little over a minute left for the 800m. Glad it's all over, but looking forward too next year doing it all over again for my instructor card!!!! Had a GREAT time working with 6 classes of 8 japanese students with a third grade comprehension of english. Kinda like teaching SCUBA in a Sam and Ann book. I still had a great time. Hats off to all of you who have made the plunge into going pro!!:cheers:

Congrats. I found the written tests the easiest part. good for you and good luck with the instructor. Now you can work on SCUBA Sam and Ann book.

For Instructor, one of my least favorite skills was the Float on the surface with weight belt, mask, snorkle, and fins. Dive down to the bottom, remove weight belt, mask, snorkle, and fins. Return to the surface. Catch your breath while treading water. Then return to depth and replace weight belt, mask, snorkle, and fins. Once replaced, make the ascent to the surface having cleared your mask and snorkle. Sounds easy. Took me several attempts. Very hard. Hated it.

What I did like was the standing on the side of the pool with all your equipment and the tank valve shut off. Then picking up all your euipment (not wearing any) and jumping in then putting all your equipment on. that was easy. As long as the 1st thing you did was turn on the tank valve and put a reg in your mouth, clear it. Then you could take your time. Mask second, everything else was cake.

For Instructor, one of my least favorite skills was the Float on the surface with weight belt, mask, snorkle, and fins. Dive down to the bottom, remove weight belt, mask, snorkle, and fins. Return to the surface. Catch your breath while treading water. Then return to depth and replace weight belt, mask, snorkle, and fins. Once replaced, make the ascent to the surface having cleared your mask and snorkle. Sounds easy. Took me several attempts. Very hard. Hated it.

What I did like was the standing on the side of the pool with all your equipment and the tank valve shut off. Then picking up all your euipment (not wearing any) and jumping in then putting all your equipment on. that was easy. As long as the 1st thing you did was turn on the tank valve and put a reg in your mouth, clear it. Then you could take your time. Mask second, everything else was cake.

I've heard of the and have done, the second set of skills you noted. I also thought it was a peice of cake in the order you described, but I've not heard of the first set of skills you presented. Which agency requires the set of skills? :confused:

Congratulations DP. Sounds like you did a great job!!! I love TDI...It is where I have done my advanced nitrox and deco...looking forward to extended range by March or April...Keep up the good work...

looking forward to extended range by March or April...Keep up the good work...
Just finished the Extended range last week, had a great couple of dives. First time to 200' well 201' by my Explorer.(206') if the depth was relative to the deco stop depths of my instructor and other dive mate. When my computer said 80' theirs said 85' and so on. So when my computer said 201' it was probably 206' considering two of the computers read the same and i was the odd man out. Oh well, came back home with no rides to the chamber! All is good!!:D

SDI/TDI requires the ditch and dons. First ditch and don is with full scuba. Swim down, take off mask, fins, snorkel, BCD. Turn air off on the tank. Swim to shallow end, tread water while you catch your breath and then swim back. put it all on, and not come to the surface until your breathing on scuba, all gear is on and your mask is cleared.

The second is essentially the same except that your doing it just with mask, snorkel and fins, and have both mask and snorkel cleared on surfacing. I found this second one a LOT harder to do since with the scuba ditch and don, you could get to your tank, grab either regulator, turn on your air and breath while doing the rest of it. With the snorkel only, you have to do it all on the breath your holding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom