TDI or PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I am obviously biased since I work for TDI HQ but I believe our curriculum is simple, presents a solid framework to build experience on, and we have been "doing Tech" since 1994. There are a bunch of good instructors kicking around, and there are several tech agencies that have decent street cred. You might want to share what goals you have to get a more complete answer, but first step might be an Intro to Tech program.

Hey, I know a great book you should buy! LOL

I am an experienced dive master looking to go deeper and expand my dive knowledge.

In addition to the mandatory training, you might be interested in some reading. Take a look at Tech Diving Mag. The two issues include a nice variety of tech-related articles, including the history "going deeper" :)

TDI allows its instructors a lot of leeway in how and what they teach. As long as the basic standards are met, they don't care much beyond that. I think most other tech agencies are a lot like that, with the exception of a few obvious ones. Although I have had only peripheral experience with PADI tech, I believe you would find something similar there because they do not teach a strict set of diving principles but instead allow for people to choose differe3nt paths.

On my way to TDI Advanced Trimix, I had two different instructors. They could not have been more different. It is hard to believe they represented the same agency. Each was fine it what was taught, but what they taught was very different, with two very different points of view.

I know a diver who was initially taught in PADI tech, and he was taught a number of things different from other people I have heard who learned through PADI.

So, once again, check around and pick an instructor you can believe in. Then perhaps take a different path for a while so you can see the difference and make a decision for yourself.

The instructor should be the most important aspect, but look at the actual courses. Not all "tech" courses result in the same skill qualifications.

I'm looking to get into tech diving. I am an experienced dive master looking to go deeper and expand my dive knowledge. I have done all my training through PADI but TDI seems to be a popular choice for Tech courses. So I'm just curious as to what experienced tech divers consider to be a better option. TDI or PADI? I am not interested in doing trimix.

Following on from Steve's comments.... well, I'm not biased! I can teach both PADI Tec courses and TDI.

I prefer to teach the latter.

The PADI curriculum has some fairly fundamental flaws in it, IMHO. For example, in my instructor exam one of the questions asked about procedures for what to do in the case you spotted a diver breathing from the wrong mix. I picked the answer "signal to the diver and tell them to swap regulators".

Apparently, this is wrong - according to PADI you should swim over to the diver and rip their regulator out of their mouth and donate your long hose. This is wrong on so many levels, for example:

1. The argument that "seconds count" that was given to me shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the physiology of oxygen toxicity. If the diver is that close to toxing, then they problably still will even if you rip the reg out of their mouth. All you've done is make the situation worse be guarenteeing that the diver will ingest water (as opposed to probably will).

2. The only time that someone may be breathing the wrong gas is after a gas switch. In which case your long hose will be clipped off and likely to have the hose lying under the hose of your deco reg. You've just created a problem yourself by forcing the donor to give the long hose. And that's ignoring what I think is one of the golden rules of technical diving - you *ALWAYS* donate from the mouth, as you know that gas is safe to breathe at the depth you are at.

Trying to discuss this with the examiner was futile...... so whilst I can teach PADI Tec courses, I just won't.

The TDI curriculum is a lot less structured, which means that as an instructor I can swap things around and add things in to suit each student I get. PADI is very prescriptive. PADI materials are more glossy and appealing, TDI materials are getting better - but at present the Deco Procedures is a bit out of date, though I understand a new one is coming out this year. Generally, TDI materials let themselves down a bit with silly things like spellng mistkes.

One other drawback is that you will get a greater deal of inconsistency with TDI instructors - some seem to only teach the bare minimums rather than going the extra mile to give a good course to their students. When two TDI instructors do add in extra skills and knowledge, they will do so differently. So you definitely want to look around and find an instructor that suits you.

My suggestion would also be to do an Intro to Tech class before doing anything else. TDI Intro to Tech, when taught properly, is very much akin to classes like the GUE Fundamentals class and will really help you get the skills you need to do the dives safely and comfortably.

Last edited:
The instructor should be the most important aspect, but look at the actual courses. Not all "tech" courses result in the same skill qualifications.

Agreed. :D

Attachments

• PADI.JPG
    PADI.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 404
Following on from Steve's comments.... well, I'm not biased! I can teach both PADI Tec courses and TDI.

I prefer to teach the latter.

The PADI curriculum has some fairly fundamental flaws in it, IMHO. For example, in my instructor exam one of the questions asked about procedures for what to do in the case you spotted a diver breathing from the wrong mix. I picked the answer "signal to the diver and tell them to swap regulators".

Apparently, this is wrong - according to PADI you should swim over to the diver and rip their regulator out of their mouth and donate your long hose. This is wrong on so many levels, for example:

1. The argument that "seconds count" that was given to me shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the physiology of oxygen toxicity. If the diver is that close to toxing, then they problably still will even if you rip the reg out of their mouth. All you've done is make the situation worse be guarenteeing that the diver will ingest water (as opposed to probably will).

2. The only time that someone may be breathing the wrong gas is after a gas switch. In which case your long hose will be clipped off and likely to have the hose lying under the hose of your deco reg. You've just created a problem yourself by forcing the donor to give the long hose. And that's ignoring what I think is one of the golden rules of technical diving - you *ALWAYS* donate from the mouth, as you know that gas is safe to breathe at the depth you are at.

Trying to discuss this with the examiner was futile...... so whilst I can teach PADI Tec courses, I just won't.

The TDI curriculum is a lot less structured, which means that as an instructor I can swap things around and add things in to suit each student I get. PADI is very prescriptive. PADI materials are more glossy and appealing, TDI materials are getting better - but at present the Deco Procedures is a bit out of date, though I understand a new one is coming out this year. Generally, TDI materials let themselves down a bit with silly things like spellng mistkes.

One other drawback is that you will get a greater deal of inconsistency with TDI instructors - some don't seem to only teach the bare minimums rather than going the extra mile to give a good course to their students. When two TDI instructors do add in extra skills and knowledge, they will do so differently. So you definitely want to look around and find an instructor that suits you.

My suggestion would also be to do an Intro to Tech class before doing anything else. TDI Intro to Tech, when taught properly, is very much akin to classes like the GUE Fundamentals class and will really help you get the skills you need to do the dives safely and comfortably.

Thanks a lot. This is the type of information I was looking for. Info on the differences on how the courses were structured and opinions on the pros and cons. Thanks

TDI or PADI?

Its not about the agency, its about the instructor. Both agencies have good training materials, and both agencies have good instructors. Call a few..ask them questions then decide on the instructors' qualifications & demeanor & not the alphabet soup...

Just my 2 psi....

I'm echoing Jim's thoughts. Usually the Instructor makes the difference.

IMHO more is better. More pool time, more classroom/academics and more OW dives/time.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom