TDI GUE course differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...

I am sure someone will hammer me if I am wrong, but as I remember it, he accidentally double filled o2 instead of He and was breathing roughly 50% at 100' or something...he didn't analyze it. Georgitsis held the reg in his mouth through a couple seizures and got him to the surface.

Yup... the instructor saved the guys ass.. If I allowed a diver to dive a mix without analyzing it it would be my butt.. It doesn't matter whoo mixes it and how many times its been done by the blender.. every single cylinder gets analyzed and It must be verified by the instructor (by watching or by the gas mix log which better have the exact mix listed).. errors do happen..especially when lots of cylinders are being mixed

Of course I don't know what happened but if a Tech 1 student toxed on gas he mixed and didn't analyze, it seems to me that the incedent has some pretty far reaching implications.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Of course I don't know what happened but if a Tech 1 student toxed on gas he mixed and didn't analyze, it seems to me that the incedent has some pretty far reaching implications.
The missing piece of info here, at least as I remember it, was that this particular student was the owner of the shop that was hosting the tech 1. So he was mixing the gas for a class he was hosting..

O-ring once bubbled...

The missing piece of info here, at least as I remember it, was that this particular student was the owner of the shop that was hosting the tech 1. So he was mixing the gas for a class he was hosting..

That certainly make it easier to understand how the instructor could be lulled into trusting the guy. It does show that hearing a thing done isn't the same as seeing it done.

In Croatia, the same fitting is used for o2 and He... The diver was the owner of the shop and he filled the tanks himself and marked them as analyzed (they apparently weren't). Diver toxed and tanks were analyzed later and found to contain 50.1% o2 - he initially toxed at 36m.

O-ring,

I also heard that during the boat ride out to the site, it was found that not all the gas was analyzed at the dock and AG had them do it again, seems the diver that toxed analyzed a deco bottle instead of the backgas and no one noticed.

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
O-ring,

I also heard that during the boat ride out to the site, it was found that not all the gas was analyzed at the dock and AG had them do it again, seems the diver that toxed analyzed a deco bottle instead of the backgas and no one noticed.

Eric

If that's true it's very sloppy.

db8us once bubbled...

First, GUE is not giving away Instructor-cards. I know at least one TDI-Instructor personally who has got his card without beeing a recreational instructor and without any formal "training", just because he was "famous".

Second, there are no shortcuts. I was a swimmer when i was young and i asked my GUE-instructor if i can skip the swimming, cause it was damned cold and raining and there was only a cold pool.
She said: if you were a swimmer in the past, go and hurry, you should be out of the water fast !

In both TDI and some IANTD classes it was ok to knee on the ground and do drills like stage-clipping. In both GUE courses it was mandatory to do it all perfect neutral and horizontal.

Also in the equipment part TDI just accepted everything, at Billy Deans we were at least talking about it, GUE went over every single piece.

Also TDI did not care about any buddy-awareness, IANTD Germany neither, but Billy Deans has and GUE strongly focused on that.

Also the spent "in-water" time was MUCH more in the GUE courses.

Billy Deans was equally good as Tamara when it came to general things. Once he kicked a guy out for always beeing late on the dock, because he said that this was the wrong attitude.

One specific deatil from the IANTD course.
We had to do an exam and when calculating the dive you came out with a CNS% of 103 when decoing on O2.
The "right" solution was to use EAN80 instead, since this was the prefferd gas for IANTD anyway.
I told Billy i think that is stupid since the 100% can not be kept anyway on long dives and that the CNS% was a pure statistical thing.
He said it was for the theory and the next day we decoed on pure O2, surface-supplied from the boat.

Today i can not keep the CNS under 100% on most of my dives anyway...

Michael

First I want to say this is the best thread i have ever seen on this board where DIR and the rest of the world are discussing their differences. how nice to learn some interesting stuff.

I would say that TDI is not in the habit of giving away cards either. if someone famouse got a card, i am sure it was earned. and it would not mean that it holds true for the general public. I wonder if the top dogs in GUE/DIR/WKKP all went through all the courses or did they get cards based on experience......we are obviously talking about the general population here and not the rare exceptions.

Guess what TDI doesn't even require swimming [on the surface], IANTD does. the swimming portion is to establish physical fittness and not much else. TDI will do it in other ways.

the kneeling on the ground is allowed [at the instructors discretion] on the first dive where bottles and tank shut downs take place say in an Advanced Nitrox/ Deco Prosedure course to get them used to how it works. the rest of the dives it is to be done in open water while hovering motionless in the water this last part is mandatory prior to passing the course. Gas shut downs and tank removal plus several other skills are performed on every dive, again hovering perfectly.

I will admit I have seen an instructor in the tropics not require his students to hover horizontal while doing the drills, I questioned him on this and he stated that TDI does not require you to complete the entire dive in a horizontal position and that there was nothing wrong with being vertical in the water say while comming up a deep wall as we where the students where required to perform the skills while hovering perfectly though. this mad since to me as I too don't believe that you need to do the whole dive horizontal as GUE suggests/requires

As for gear I would not say that TDI would ascept everything, it must be appropriat for the diving you are doing and in good condition ......etc...... but TDI does have an open mind to gear selection and placement.....heck they even ascept the DIR way.
most instructors will strongly influance their students on what works best for the type of diving they are doing. TDI is much more open minded on this subject...within reason.

I personaly spend the first meeting with my classes consintrating primarily on gear selection, configuration etc. everybody brings all their gear to class and i go over each peice of gear with them and make suggestions as required...i don't however require everybody to be exactly the same.
this is what i was taught by my instructor, and i think a lot of the instructors spend good quality time on the students gear

Buddies, this is a tuffer one to comment on as I think it is varied amungs different instructors and to different degrees depending on the dive. I think GUE is overdependent on their buddy, whereas TDI teaches a team approch yet completly self suffeciant....there is a fine line to walk and I have seen instructors on both sides of the fence.

I personaly like a three man team for very deep dives mainly in the event of gas loss emergencies.

I can't comment on in water time, i don't know what you guys spend in the water. I would say that there is ample time in the water for skill development, practice, and evaluation. and the time in the water deffinetly varies with different classes as needed.

As for attitude...welll lets not even go there, I think to each their own as to what they are willing to accept etc.

I don't quite understand the last part except to say that TDI does not teach standardized gasses...more a best mix gas plan for the dive you are going to do. this may include 80% or 100%
It is not really a boyance thing as much as getting onto a high Po2 earlier and longer, i would say because the travel/ intermediate deco gas is usauly switched to at about 100 feet. so it is more a switch sooner. 100% is great too it is just not the only choice or mandatory. 80% is deffinetly better on that old CNS clock isn't it.

Lastly i totaly agree that a DIRF class will put out a much better diver in regards to skills than a PADI open water class. but as allready been stated [and i totaly agree] the customer has to want that first, diving is easy, not very difficult or dangerouse for the recreational diver, who cares if he is vertical in the water, only last 15 minutes at 60 feet etc. he is only thinking about his cocktails and luau he has next on the agenda.

DIRF is teaching what i would consider technical diving skills to begginner divers....that is great......it just won't serve the masses

just a couple of questions for you now.

If i was a non diver, never been in the water, could i go take a GUE course and get a certification to go diving in Palau or Mexico or anywhere.?

Do they teach all the basic skills require to know for someone who has never been on scuba before?

I was talking to a friend who is going to take the DIRF course next month [he is a single tank diver] and he said one of the required skills was that he had to do tank shut downs. I said but you are only using a single tank why perform this task of shutting off your only supply of air. he said in case he ever gets doubles he will know how to do this. I am wondering if this is standard training to shut off your only gas supply just incase you decide to become a technical diver some day [well i should say a double tank diver]? and is this then adiquate training to become a double tank diver performing gas shut downs?

Again it has been good chatting with you in such a sival manner, I am learning a lot about the differences in styles

Some single tank divers will jump in without having turned their air on. They will get a few breaths from the gas that remains in the hoses, then nothing. By this time, they have already sank a signifigant number of feet. (Especially the average diver who is WAY overweighted.) Their reg is now not functioning and they immediately panic instead of first reaching back to check the valve. They panic, hold their breath and shoot for the surface. Possible lung rupture/AGE, not good. I've seen people do this several times, thankfully no injury.

I think having them do this drill has some real value. It seems like a good composure exercise too.

I also don't think that the DIR-F class is teaching technical diving skills.

I'm taking the DIR-F class next month as well, and will be able to see firsthand what GUE training is all about.

AquaTec once bubbled...

just a couple of questions for you now.

If i was a non diver, never been in the water, could i go take a GUE course and get a certification to go diving in Palau or Mexico or anywhere.?

Do they teach all the basic skills require to know for someone who has never been on scuba before?

I was talking to a friend who is going to take the DIRF course next month [he is a single tank diver] and he said one of the required skills was that he had to do tank shut downs. I said but you are only using a single tank why perform this task of shutting off your only supply of air. he said in case he ever gets doubles he will know how to do this. I am wondering if this is standard training to shut off your only gas supply just incase you decide to become a technical diver some day [well i should say a double tank diver]? and is this then adiquate training to become a double tank diver performing gas shut downs?

Again it has been good chatting with you in such a sival manner, I am learning a lot about the differences in styles

I know the questions are not directed at me but like to try to answer them anyway.

As of yet GUE doesnt have on open water class. What they do here in Kent however is teach SDI open water the GUE way so to speak. So in a sense yes you can get GUE trained being a beginning diver that has never been in the water even though you will get an SDI certification. Gue guys please correct me if i am wrong.

I will be re taking DIRF next month as well. I can see why doing a valve shutdown on a single tank might be useful even though the whole shutdown drill is really meant for doubles. Suppose you have a O-ring blow, it would be nice to be able to shut down the loudly escaping bubbles behind your head. To get the most out of all excercises i'd personally recommend diving doubles.

doing valve shutdowns is only part of getting comfortable diving doubles though. I have come to th epoint where i prefer doubles over a single tank even though doubles are heeavyyyyy

:)

the class will be fun and useful i'm sure:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom