TDI GUE course differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look into my answer closer , im not trying to be route to you im not trying to be polite to you either , my two lines comment are there to help you.

Part I

i know you are trying to help me. but telling me what the answer is, without providing me with the justification implies one of the following:

a. you are the authority on this and all should defer to you without questioning
b. i am clairvoyant and can read your mind over 10,000 miles and figure out GUE is so much
c. you don't know why GUE is better, everybody says so, probably quite safe to go with the crowd and not be wrong

Part II

once again, if GUE is indeed so much better, should be easy listing out the differences where it would then be self-evident which is better. could you kindly do that.

if you are sincere about helping me, don't bother commenting on Part I. let me know what you think on Part II.

tomcat once bubbled...
Part I

i know you are trying to help me. but telling me what the answer is, without providing me with the justification implies one of the following:

a. you are the authority on this and all should defer to you without questioning
b. i am clairvoyant and can read your mind over 10,000 miles and figure out GUE is so much
c. you don't know why GUE is better, everybody says so, probably quite safe to go with the crowd and not be wrong

Part II

once again, if GUE is indeed so much better, should be easy listing out the differences where it would then be self-evident which is better. could you kindly do that.

if you are sincere about helping me, don't bother commenting on Part I. let me know what you think on Part II.

I was staying out of this but .....

People say over and over again how much it matters on the instructor. Since you live in Singapore I'd suspect that TDI is bettre represented in your area whereby you'd probably be better able to find a good instructor. Don't you think? And there can't be very many TDI *or* GUE instructors in your area so why not ring them and see what kind of impression you get?

GUE, btw doesn't appear to have any instructors beyond the DIR-F level in your area so whoever you get is likely to be imported. (or a tdi cross-over :wink: )

TDI on the other hand has a professional development centre in singapore. you can see their webpage here and their course offerings here Compare that to what you find on www.gue.com and you'll probably get a good idea of how the content differs. The rest is personal choice.

R..

Some friends from GUE and on Quest have said that they are really happy that some of us are taking the time to visit the board and help in which ways we can. They also asked if we can take a less aggressive approach and try to share what we do know to help.

OK No Problemo, so lets back up and start over.

There is a significant difference between GUE and TDI, IANTD, PSA etc. This not only lies in the curriculum, but the instructors as well. Yes the instructor is one of the if not the most important aspect of the choice, but the training, guidelines and accuracy of the information that GUE teaches is based upon the worlds best divers experiences, trials and tribulations and abilities. There is no mistake or coincidence that the worlds best divers are GUE and GUE supporters. Those facts speak for themselves.

Now, yes there are some good instructors in the other named agencies, but as a standard rule, you can't go wrong with GUE. They are so extremely picky about their instructors that the chances of getting anything negative, confusing, incorrect etc. are so remote it is not worth mentioning. Yes it is like comparing a F1 car to a Hyundai, and yes I use this analogy a lot, and no I will not come up with a new one each and every time I want to compare something so keep ridiculous comments like that out of our discussions and lets get on with the diving discussions.

If you want to compare some details, go to www.gue.com and look at the course outlines and see for yourself. However these outlines do not give the full picture. Here is an example.

A TDI instructor taught the trimix course and went through all the motions etc. The first trimix dive after the course resulted in some serious surprises. After coming back from 75 meters and switching to the first deco gas a severe hit of narcosis hit. WHY??? Because the sudden and immediate introduction of nitrogen into the system shocked the body and caused a serious side effect. Without a cool head and quick thinking this could easily lead to a serious if not fatal outcome. Just a little detail perhaps but important ones. GUE instructors go throught the little details, the what ifs the don't do and watch out for this type of scenarios over and over. The result is that you have the real training to do real diving no questions or doubts about it.

Don't have to just swallow this pill and accept it without researching it for yourself but the quality, track record and proof from GUE courses holds a much higher standard and much higher safety record than that achieved of any other training agency. Research it for yourself and enjoy.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Some friends from GUE and on Quest have said that they are really happy that some of us are taking the time to visit the board and help in which ways we can. They also asked if we can take a less aggressive approach and try to share what we do know to help.

OK No Problemo, so lets back up and start over.

ok
There is a significant difference between GUE and TDI, IANTD, PSA etc. This not only lies in the curriculum, but the instructors as well. Yes the instructor is one of the if not the most important aspect of the choice, but the training, guidelines and accuracy of the information that GUE teaches is based upon the worlds best divers experiences, trials and tribulations and abilities. There is no mistake or coincidence that the worlds best divers are GUE and GUE supporters. Those facts speak for themselves.

No doubt GUE has good instructors. Especially as small as they are they have been able to keep control so far. As far as these guys being the best, well, they certainly say so. There are lots of good divers doing cool stuff all over the world but they don't spend so much time on the net telling everyone about it. I'm spending this weekend helping out on a project in Kentucky, I'll bet there won't be any GUE divers around. Plenty of help is needed though so if you know any one interested I'll let you know who to contact.

Diver0001 once bubbled...

GUE, btw doesn't appear to have any instructors beyond the DIR-F level in your area so whoever you get is likely to be imported. R..

Andrew Georgitsis travels the entire world to teach all levels of GUE courses where there is enough interest. This usually is 6 people per class, give or take. To set up a course all you have to do is email him to get things started. He usually brings assistants &/or additional instructors with him so everyone gets the same level of instruction regardless of their geographic location. He is a VERY dynamic and passionate instructor.

He, and all GUE instructors, openly welcomes students to ask WHY the equipment and system are designed. In fact, a lot of time is spent during each class answering lots of questions. Every little detail is open for discussion. They will have excellent examples to back up WHY each piece of the DIR system has been selected.

Becki,

you are so right. Also they usually have a DIR demo prior to any class open to anyone especially those who want to fight against them. Andrew G is also such a dynamic and nice person. I have been trying so hard to get him over for some classes, but as you can expect he is usually booked for a looooong time.

It is also true that a lot of GUE instructors and dives "brag", but a lot of that is in defence of attacks against them where they need to prove or back up their experience and knowledge and then in turn that is used against them too.

There are some people on this list that are slamming and bashing me and some others too, but that's ok. I and none of the others are here to try and make friends but discuss, share, argue if needed etc. all in the hopes to learn and share what we learn, and of course to learn from others. When you think you know it all, you die.

I know some excellent divers that are IANTD, TDI and PSA instructors, I have the materials from all of them and have read most all of them too. I would be happy to learn from some of them, but unfortunately I have run into a lot of them I would not want anything to do with. My experience with GUE has been much much different. They take a beating from people and just keep on pushing along. I have a lot of respect for them.

Manos once bubbled...
The question should actualy be what is the best choise ?
to call TDI give them my credit card numbers and order the diploma via mail , or do the course with GUE

A lot of us GUE trained divers are trying to project a more appropriate attitude towards all divers in hopes of quelling the negativity attributed to DIR divers. The public perception of the DIR community is very poor. This is largely due to those who have been too heavily influenced by certain leaders of the system. Not all of us are that way towards others, even though our convictions run just as deeply.

The aggressive posting style that is so widely and that is accepted on quest isn't appropriate on this board. This forum is for the general diving community and many are just not as hard-core as quest subscribers tend to be. If you come into this forum with the same approach as posting on quest, you will 1) get hammered and 2) ruin our efforts of showing that GUE is about safe diving first and foremost and not about individual superiority.

I lose my temper at times with certain individuals on this board, but I try my best to take the high road and live and dive by example. I read quest and am able to sift past the attitude to get the message. A lot of divers are very sensitive about how information is posted and get caught up in the delivery and totally miss the message.

People here want to know WHY you have formed your decisions and they want to know WHY various equipment and diving techniques are better than others. Sure there's a lot of BS on here, but most readers are genuinely interested in gaining knowledge.

It's difficult to explain to people who haven't been through a DIR training experience. If you get it, it changes you. Once you see a system that makes so much sense, it's like you know about something special that many others are still oblivious to. It's like you are in a special crowd that exists on a higher level of awareness because you feel so much better about how you dive, who you dive with, and the resulting heightened enjoyment of the sport. Some take that too far and it is undeservedly perceived as arrogance and "holier than thou". Many really are arrogant jerks who deserve the cold shoulder. It's those types who do more damage than good as they dissuade other divers from finding out for themselves if DIR will benefit them.

>>People here want to know WHY you have formed your decisions <<

You wanted a comparison between GUE and TDI , anyone
geting into the conversation of comparing the two organisations
is making a big mistake. How can you make such a comparison.

My TDI instructor 5 years ago was Nikos Raftis , this guy has a world wide reputation on designing Gas blending computerised systems for Drager. His last words on me at the end of the course was , im out of TDI those guys are selling C cards via post.

In this list you have to filter the people that can post usefull right information and then close your ears when the strokes sing.

Safe diving. Manos

Manos once bubbled...
[BIn this list you have to filter the people that can post usefull right information and then close your ears when the strokes sing.

Safe diving. Manos [/B]

This board was a lot more tolerable before we had people calling each other strokes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom