TDI GUE course differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring wrote...
Now I have a friend, a dive buddy, and am passing along the message and hopefully it was received. If not, oh well, I still have made a friend..
Are you sure you're not JJ's little bro?

:)

Great attitude, seriously.

I subscribed to this board with the best intentions, and I believe I have been polite and friendly in all my discussions. Now I get "thrown under the bus" as you say because some other guys have a different way of approaching things.

Thanks a lot!

I happen to be convinced that DIR is the safest way to dive. I do not "look down my nose" at other divers or feel that I am superior to them. I do feel that DIR is superior to another way of diving. If I didn't, then I'd be diving that other way.

You are accusing the DIR people of making it an "us vs them" scenario, but in reality you are the one who is doing so.

Please allow others to have a different opinion from yours, and to make their points without making assumptions about them.

If you don't like the way someone behaves, instead of taking an elitists and pigeonholing stane by saying "those DIR guys yada yada yada", I suggest you say what you want to say about the INDIVIDUALS that you have a problem with.

All I'm asking really, is to be accorded the same courtesy that I grant you.

thanks.

jeesh people, relax! Is this a slaughterhouse/battlefield or a discussion board :confused:
i have been reading this thead for a while and all i see is an interesting discussion about to DIR or not to DIR turn into a verbal battlefield. Come on now, lets be nice :mean:
i have fixed opinion about the whole GUE, TDI thing too but i dont recall telling anybody they are going to die unless they do it the GUE way :D

So, lets me nice :wink:

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
I subscribed to this board with the best intentions, and I believe I have been polite and friendly in all my discussions. Now I get "thrown under the bus" as you say because some other guys have a different way of approaching things.

Thanks a lot!

I happen to be convinced that DIR is the safest way to dive. I do not "look down my nose" at other divers or feel that I am superior to them. I do feel that DIR is superior to another way of diving. If I didn't, then I'd be diving that other way.

You are accusing the DIR people of making it an "us vs them" scenario, but in reality you are the one who is doing so.

Please allow others to have a different opinion from yours, and to make their points without making assumptions about them.

If you don't like the way someone behaves, instead of taking an elitists and pigeonholing stane by saying "those DIR guys yada yada yada", I suggest you say what you want to say about the INDIVIDUALS that you have a problem with.

All I'm asking really, is to be accorded the same courtesy that I grant you.

thanks.
I'll be civil...sorry for throwing you under the bus with the rest of them, but I wanted to make sure we understand the concept here. When someone (or multiple people) representing a group come in and make that group look bad, it often splatters over onto other people associated with that group.

Now think of how the resident DIR people felt when all your quest guys showed up.

No hard feelings I hope..

I'm not interested in "converting" anyone against their will. It's not religion. I simply feel I have found a better way to dive, and want to share it.

Thanks fof the peace offering. Peaceful discussions are always much more pleasant and productive.

tomcat once bubbled...
I had been very impressed with people at Scubaboard until now. Whenever a question is asked, answers are usually informative and to the point.

Why are people jumping so quickly to the better/worse part without even answering the first part about significant differences? If you don't state or can't state the differences, how can you then explain to someone which is better and which is worse?

Besides, the question was about advantages and disadvantages. Not which course is better. That judgement comes only after examining the relative advantages and disadvantages.

In my opinion, I shouldn't have asked this question here, having suspected that people can't see past the GUE vs Rest of the World debate. How do you expexct a new prospective technical diver like me to make informed choices when people just focus on the who got the better agency debate without being able to elaborate intelligently on why it is so.

I have heard about people from some agencies being lemmings (act/speak without thinking/understanding) and I thought it was because of how the questions were phrased (of the which is better variety). Thought I could avoid that by breaking the question down into parts before coming to the which is better part. Guess I was wrong. The force is strong! The darkside beckons :p

You said it all here. People who have taken the courses have a different attitude than those who have not. It's unfortunate that so many people feel threatened by whatever Gue is doing. I'm not 100% DIR and maybe never will be, but as a teaching agency, if I was going somewhere bad and dark, I'd want their training.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I'm glad you took the bait because I will be happy to defend my views and my ethics to you or any one else here in public or any where else and at any time. Do you have any questions or specific accusations you would like me to address?

Why don't you stop on down this way and talk to some folks to see what I have done for divers in the area? Most I miight add has been at my own considerable expense.

Maybe you would like to describe for us your efforts to contribute to diving.

I'm teaching a IANTD nitrox class at Haigh Quarry tomarrow. Your in the area, maybe you would like to come up and ask questions in person. We will all be in Halcyon equipment. The students will be working on developing really good skills and I will be giving an IANTD lecture. Speaking out both sides of my mouth as you call it.

I'll be there about 10 am. We'll be spending the first few hours in the classroom and on land. What time can we expect you?
[/

I'm at Haigh all the time. Perhaps we'll cross paths.

Speaking as some one who can loose patients in a hurry with some of these guys, a wise man once said what works, works. I have dived with a few real die hard DIR folks and they were great to dive with and we didn't even fight. Even though I will never use the term DIR in regard to myself we meshed. When it comes to diving "values" we have much in common. We have some folks like that on this board.

I'm all for hammering the jerks but we can't define jerk as all who are or desire to be DIR. Jerks are just Jerks. LOL

My advice to those who think like me is use the good stuff you learn even if some poeple call it DIR. Funny thing is, I recently was accused of talking out both sides of my mouth for arguing with some of these guys. Some get confused because I share some of the same views yet but heads over other GUE/WKPP stuff. Of course I am just as quick to point out the ills of other agencies even those I am an instructor for. Fact is, too me, agencies (period) are something I'd be happy to do without. They may be a necessary evil but that's the best I can say about any of them.

Excellent Idea, Manos

Manos once bubbled...
>>People here (Scubaboard) want to know WHY you have formed your decisions <<

You wanted a comparison between GUE and TDI , anyone
geting into the conversation of comparing the two organisations
is making a big mistake. (your opinion)
In this list (forum) you have to filter the people that can post usefull right information and then close your ears when the strokes sing.

Safe diving. Manos

I'll just put you on the ignore list (close the "ears") and keep up on the USEFUL RIGHT INFORMATION! tra la la la, la la la la

scubatexastony once bubbled...
Excellent Idea, Manos

I'll just put you on the ignore list (close the "ears") and keep up on the USEFUL RIGHT INFORMATION! tra la la la, la la la la

I wish people would be clearer when they post.

Did you mean that tralala as sung in the
nja nja
nja nja
njaaa
njaaa

way, or more of a ladida light hearted way?

Maybe you could attach a sound file...

;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom