Taxi service near the airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right about prebooked transfers, of course, but I hope you are not classing me as a "first or second timer". I've been going to Cozumel since 1978. :wink:
Not my first rodeo Gordon. I know you've bee around these parts for a long time, with lots of great info!:wink:

And if everyone follows your advice, you won't be able to do it any more.

To each his own. Like I have said, the shuttle doesn't bother me a bit.

Your logic just doesn't stand to reason here. Again, there are plenty of airports the world over that make it work just fine with taxis. There's nothing terribly different about Cozumel. Your predictions of doom and gloom seem to be rooted in your acceptance of the shuttles and less so on any real data.

That said, this thread is going where EVERY thread on "taxis from the airport" go in this forum. It's probably time to invoke threadkiller.

-Charles

Your logic just doesn't stand to reason here. Again, there are plenty of airports the world over that make it work just fine with taxis. There's nothing terribly different about Cozumel. Your predictions of doom and gloom seem to be rooted in your acceptance of the shuttles and less so on any real data.

That said, this thread is going where EVERY thread on "taxis from the airport" go in this forum. It's probably time to invoke threadkiller.

-Charles
Predictions of doom and gloom? What?

My real data is observance of conditions on the ground at the airport in Cozumel and projections of what it would be like if 400 (or however many) taxis had to get in and out of there in a short period of time. I think the shuttles are far more efficient, irrespective of how it's done elsewhere. It's my opinion - no more and no less - and if you disagree, then we disagree. 'Sno biggie.

But my "acceptance" of the shuttles is irrelevant; it is the system there and it is far easier for me to do as the Romans do than to fight the current. If I were traveling alone and just pulling a carry-on, I'd probably walk out, but when I am traveling with my wife, and our 100+ lbs of baggage, and my 82 year old mom, and her husband, and all their stuff, walking out isn't an option I would consider even if being "forced" to use the shuttles bothered me, which it doesn't.

YMMV.

Predictions of doom and gloom? What?

My real data is observance of conditions on the ground at the airport in Cozumel and projections of what it would be like if 400 (or however many) taxis had to get in and out of there in a short period of time. I think the shuttles are far more efficient, irrespective of how it's done elsewhere. It's my opinion - no more and no less - and if you disagree, then we disagree. 'Sno biggie.

But my "acceptance" of the shuttles is irrelevant; it is the system there and it is far easier for me to do as the Romans do than to fight the current. If I were traveling alone and just pulling a carry-on, I'd probably walk out, but when I am traveling with my wife, and our 100+ lbs of baggage, and my 82 year old mom, and her husband, and all their stuff, walking out isn't an option I would consider even if being "forced" to use the shuttles bothered me, which it doesn't.

YMMV.
Sounds like you have good reasons to use the vans that a lot of us don't. My only problem is with the Union not "allowing" us to have a choice for what works best. I suspect that if they allowed that choice, a lot of us would choose taxis, while some like you would still use the vans, but the van company wouldn't be able to get away with charging the higher rates that they do with their current monopoli. It would be a win win, because you could still choose the convenience of the van option that seems to work well for you, but most likely for less money, while the rest of us could do what works best for us too! :D

And yet dozens of airports of similar size all over the world somehow make this work every day. I just don't buy this point.

Everybody knows how it works in Mexico. The politicians and bureaucrats are paid-off to enforce certain rules. The van companies want their money and don't want to compete with the taxis so they take some of their profit and pay someone to enforce a rule for them.

This is just a prime example of that.

-Charles
Yeah, but then it is their country. :idk: During a Mayan rebellion of the 1800s, the local governor did offer the peninsula to the US or anyone else willing to send an army to protect his interests but we had plenty of wars already and weren't particularly interested. Besides, we did take Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California and parts of some other states from them anyway in a couple of other wars - one with secret US sponsorship, the latter more obvious - a set up, the reason that General Sam Houston was encouraged to allow Santa Anna to live and return to Mexico. The Mexican dictator lost power for a while, spent some time in NYC in a failed chicle business, etc. but they kept taking him back again and again. We've offered suggestions on how to run their country and sent troops at other times, but we just never wanted to annex it when we had the power.

In WWII, we did take over Isla Cozumel by treaty so we could bulldoze some derelict ruins and build an airbase for patrolling against U-boats, which is why the good ruins are gone, but the airport has been expanded so we now have a place to land 737s, and the guys who were stationed there started returning with family and friends on vacations altho they had a hard time getting there then. Even Cancun was developed later, when the Bank of Mexico (branch of national government) decided that since Texas and other Gulf states were so against bars and all - they decided to develop that island. 40 years ago there were only three people living on that coconut plantation.

We had plenty of chances to run it our way, but missed them - and we probly would have screwed them up anyway, so we do it their way - often at 10 Pesos to the Dollar, departure taxes included in the price of the plane tickets.
I didn't really say my opinion as advice. It's just my personal preference backed up with the reasons taking a cab or renting a car is better for me.

But if as you said, everyone took my advice and started taking cabs, yes that would be a problem too. It's just a good thing that lots of people do what I normally do and rent a car, while many countless others are first or second timers to CZM that haven't had the good fortune to locate Scubaboard, so they don't know there are alternatives to accepting the very expensive hotel transfers that are sneeked in to their total bill when they book.:eyebrow:
You may have noticed me suggesting against those, but some booking sites don't give you a choice actually. Funjet is popular with some and you get the transfers built into the package, no options.

-Charles
Nah, there'd just be another one as soon as this went to page 2.

It would not take much to put in an additional lane for a taxi line huh? Then a sign saying van tickets to Villa Blanca are $7 or taxi tickets are $12. The airport could include their own departure fee in the taxi price like Cancun airport does on bus tickets. I don't like the vans, but it could be worse - and if they change anything, it probly will be.

Last edited:
Everybody knows how it works in Mexico. The politicians and bureaucrats are paid-off to enforce certain rules. The van companies want their money and don't want to compete with the taxis so they take some of their profit and pay someone to enforce a rule for them.

This is just a prime example of that.

Two points:

The taxi union runs the shuttles. It's their own rule.

Mexico does not have a monopoly on corruption. Our politicians and bureaucrats are paid off as well. Probably better paid.

Sounds like you have good reasons to use the vans that a lot of us don't. My only problem is with the Union not "allowing" us to have a choice for what works best. I suspect that if they allowed that choice, a lot of us would choose taxis, while some like you would still use the vans, but the van company wouldn't be able to get away with charging the higher rates that they do with their current monopoli. It would be a win win, because you could still choose the convenience of the van option that seems to work well for you, but most likely for less money, while the rest of us could do what works best for us too! :D

Whether or not that would work better for them is not for me to say, though I'd bet that it has occurred to them. But what's the point in complaining? I'll deal with things they way they are, especially when I am powerless to change them, and get on with my vacation. Cab, van, I really don't care. Just get me to the hotel and get a beer into me, that's all I ask. :D

The whole van vs taxi situation is not worth any thought IMHO. I don't care how I get to the place I am going to once I get to Cozumel as long as I get there. I have never understood what the big deal is in peoples minds. If you want to walk out to the street dragging your luggage and get a cab, if it makes you happier and makes you feel like you are not getting robbed of a few pesos then go for it. If you want to use the vans thats great as well. Vacation is far to short to even give it a 2nd thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom