Taxi hostages and running the gauntlet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact that the police stood and observed all of this, combined with my lack of spanish language skills made it pretty obvious that getting involved was not a good option. However, the taxis sat in neutral and the drivers didn't look that tough... :)

Look I am fearless and all, but I ain't brave enough to be the guy that fought the entire tax union. Esp when they have the law on their side and they are just middle class union guys protecting their jobs. Oh sure I could probably pay a sufficient 'pre-fine' to avoid incarceration and deportation, but why risk it? To take a stand against Mexican regulations regarding the transportation of people for compensation?

That sure ain't the Cry of Dolores....

Mural-Juan-OGorman-Grito-de-Dolores-Retablo.jpg

Look I am fearless and all, but I ain't brave enough to be the guy that fought the entire tax union. Esp when they have the law on their side and they are just middle class union guys protecting their jobs. Oh sure I could probably pay a sufficient 'pre-fine' to avoid incarceration and deportation, but why risk it? To take a stand against Mexican regulations regarding the transportation of people for compensation?

Is it the law? Didn't Q Roo legalize uber a few years ago?

Maybe? I remember the burning of some Ubers in Cancun a while ago.

Uber seems to say they are legal?

Cancun: a Guide for Getting Around in the City | Uber
Just because it's legal doesn't necessarily mean it would be a good idea. Try to start an independent trucking company on Teamster turf and see what happens.

It is a shame that post author encountered such situation. I think that many divers might reconsider going to Cozumel after reading such report. For ordinary tourist there is no difference who is right or wrong.... tourist just want to reach airport on time.

Cab drivers do not have sufficient brain to understand that it will not help them if they keep tourists as hostages. This ruins the whole tourism industry which will lead to less tourists and less income for the whole area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom