• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Tank vise?

Discussion in 'Tanks, Valves and Bands' started by a878bob, Aug 3, 2019.

1. tbone1004

tbone1004 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    @The Chairman has a nifty setup in his garage. I can't remember where the pictures are on here, but they're around somewhere. If he's in a good mood he may know where it is and link it in here

a878bob likes this.
  2. chris kippax

chris kippax Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    What about an STA? The flat of the sta will stop it rotating in the vice.

a878bob likes this.
  3. Namreg 58

Namreg 58 Nassau Grouper

Find a quiet street or rear to kerb parking lot and place the tank in the gutter, then back your rear tire against the tank and you're good to go.:)

captain, dead dog, rhwestfall and 2 others like this.
  4. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Too historical for modern divers

Moderators KMAG YOYO
    sdm

5. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

Bob...

The shop where I worked for seven years had a modified (vertically mounted) Ridgid chain pipe vise...a piece of rubber belting was used as a softener between the cylinder and the chain...I have also seen many ''strap'' versions of the same thing...

For home use a small saw horse...with a six inch wide top...and two ratcheting tie down straps works very well...

For my own cylinders...''hand tight'' has always been sufficient...even 3442 HP cylinders...doubles included...remember...this is an''O'' ring seal...not a thread seal...makes emergency field valve changing a lot easier...

Best...

Warren

6. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

Amazing timing Sam! A little off-topic, but related. I am currently in process of overhauling a 1959 NIB USD 1/2" npt tapered manifold/valve to put on the set of 1941 and 1942 USN tanks repurposed for scuba sometime back in the 50's. The high pressure reducer bushings are still being made and I picked up some the other day. Had to get a 1 3/8" socket with a 3/4" drive to remove the bushings (and using a 6' breaker bar). Going to use the car tire/curb/wedge method like in the old days to install the bushings and threaded manifold. Here are a few pics of the parts as the project comes together. The photo of the tanks are "as found" and I am replacing the old manifold with my new "old" one. I'll post pics of the finished project once done. Going to tumble the other tank today and hydro this week. Another exciting project in scuba-land. Mark

T6HIZW.jpg
    2b59wd.jpg Kd5tN4.jpg
    22Nq70.jpg
    ATTACH=full]532640[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

dead dog, couv, Johnoly and 1 other person like this.
  7. W W Meixner

SL...

Very cool...1800 PSI US Navy...likely oxygen service...air craft...medical...??

Mine are 1950/51 vintage 1800 PSI service...medical oxygen...US Diver's manifold is 1957...

Great Project...

Best...

Warren

DSCF1001.JPG

Scuba Lawyer likes this.
  8. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

Nice trips! As far as my USN tanks go I have been informed (but don't know if true or not) that these tanks were used in either shooting out, or recalling in, the cables that went across the deck of an aircraft carrier to catch the tail hooks on landing aircraft. Again, zero knowledge if this is accurate, but I have heard it from several independent sources - none of which I hold in particularly high regard for veracity. :) I would love to get the real story. Mark

9. W W Meixner

Mark...

Sam may have some information on ALFCO...may give some indication on designed purpose...

They're a nice size...90/95 cu ft doubled up...

I'd like to double up a couple pair of new 3AL 50s...but with 6 7/8'' OD...there are no commercially made bands available...

Looking forward to seeing your finished product...

Best...

Warren

10. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    @W W Meixner : there are 6.9" bands....

6.9" NESS Tank Bands For Old 72's

You can also add a rubber friction pad like the ones that were part of the old Military 100's.....

(with the new Faber LP85's being 6.9", there are now modern bands)

YMMV