Tank strap technology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noviz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi... on a recent dive, I saw a Scubapro BC with a "hinge buckle strap" instead of the classic(?) plastic "flip and slip" strap. Upon further investigation, I found that the strap and buckle can be had for cheap (see here as an example). I bought one and I love it... my friends think I'm a genius... We help out in a Boy Scout diving Venture Crew, and we waste an awful amount of time with "classic" tank straps and newbie divers and fixing slipping tanks underwater. This is compounded by the tanks we use, which are 50s, 72s, and 80s. Every BC, it seems, has to be readjusted every week.

The question... why is this "scubapro" tank strap available so inexpensively ($15), why is the plastic technology so expensive, and AM I MISSING SOMETHING? Is this buckle a problem in any way?

Thanks for advise...

The Scubapro design actually predates the "classic" design. There's nothing classic about it. It's a PITA design that doesn't work all that well. I wouldn't own a BC with the Rubic's tank strap, the Scubapro design is the only way to go.

I totally agree with Walter. IMO the Scubapro tank strap is the best. I have seen the Dive Rite and it is almost as good. If I recall correctly, the Scubapro is a bit easier to change tank size than the Dive Rite, but once adjusted the Dive Rite is just as secure. I replaced all my cam tank straps to Scubapro.

The only argument I have heard against the Scubapro is that the end of the buckle could hook on a line. This was mentioned by a friend taking a cave diving course. The solution to that theoretical problem seamed simple: rotate the strap so the buckle is tucked almost against the back pack.

When traveling and diving mostly vintage I even use a traditional tank harness attached directly to the tank with two Scubapro tank straps (no back pack). I would never try that with a cam style tank strap, it not secure or tight enough.
Edit Note: The Scubapro tank strap is not vintage, but when traveling the convenience of wins over a metal band. My harness and tank bands fit in a Zip-Lock bag... that beats any back pack for traveling.

We're still running the run of the mill plasic buckle with out incident, knock on wood. A pair on my BC and a single on my wife's. I did watch a buddies blastic buckle disintegrate as she cammed it over last last winter in cold weather. I don't know if it had suffered a prior impact or not. Just fuel for the fire.

From a functional standpoint the SP or DR straps make a lot more sense.

Pete

Walter:
The Scubapro design actually predates the "classic" design. There's nothing classic about it. It's a PITA design that doesn't work all that well. I wouldn't own a BC with the Rubic's tank strap, the Scubapro design is the only way to go.

The Scubapro strap is great if you always use the same diameter tank, other wise the old "Cam" design is easier to adjust.

CB

As an alternative look here.

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page13.html
(Scroll down to the bottom of the page)

The cam strap tension pads do a few things; reduce the closing force, reduce the peak load on the buckle, and maintain the tension in the camband as it stretches.

This may seem counter intuitive, but requires very little tension in a camband to retain the tank, but it must be greater than zero.

The standard cambuckle does not allow the user to "preload" or stretch a camband very much. If there is no preload any stretching, or reduction in tank diameter, or "squaring" of the band after closing the buckle causes the tension to drop to zero, and the tank slips.

People try to counter act this by over tightening the camband, all sorts of schemes are employed including standing on the buckle to close it are used. That leads to broken buckles.

With our cam strap tension pads the pad is compressed and rebounds to maintain the tension in the strap. This makes closing the buckle easy (my 11 year old daughter can do it) and limits the load on the buckle.

Tobin

I've used ScubaPro BCs for almost 20 years. Recently I had to replace my last one with something else, because I couldn't find a ScubaPro BC at a price I could afford. I liked experiencing the more complicated to use plastic cam strap that came on my new BC, mainly so that I could better help new divers having trouble. But I look forward to figuring out how to replace it with my old ScubaPro strap.

Thanks for this thread, I've been wondering why on earth anyone would invent and sell such a difficult to use strap when a much better design (ScubaPro) was available. I imagine it has more to do with patents and royalties than it does with trying to make divers safe and happy, but that's just a guess. It's nice to see it discussed.

Chris Bangs:
The Scubapro strap is great if you always use the same diameter tank, other wise the old "Cam" design is easier to adjust.

CB

My guess is that you are referring to the earlier Scubapro tank bands (I don't know when they changed them). In those you had to remove it from the tank to adjust the diameter because the Velcro strap wrapped into the buckle towards the tank (the Dive Rite is like this).

The newer ones the Velcro wraps on the buckle away from the tank, making it extremely easy to adjust to any tank size (wile it is on the tank). With the newer band I feel it is much easier to change tank sizes than with the cam buckle.

does anyone know if the scubapro buckles would dig into or damage in any way the paint on a painted cylinder?

orange_diver:
does anyone know if the scubapro buckles would dig into or damage in any way the paint on a painted cylinder?

It doesn't actually touch the tank. There's a section of webbing that goes under the buckle. It's a great strap.

I can't imagine why everybody isn't using it. Once you here the "thunk" it makes when closing the buckle, there's no question about the tank going anywhere.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom