Tank strap technology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it is worth rubber is linearly compressible but bulk incompressible.
Linear compressible - you can sqaush any one direction.
Bulk incompressible - squeezing hardly affects volume.

So rubber makes a good spring but (unlike noprene) has no effect on bouyancy as you change depth.

I'm one of the ones that is so sold on the Scubapro Super Cinch band that I have put it on all my BCs and STAs. I swear you could dent a tank with one.

However, when I switched to Tobin's' DSS plate, I recieved it set up for a single. One of the first things I noticed was the plastic cam bands and the elastomeric doodad, and I thought "okay, I'll have to replace those straps too..."

Fortunately, I dove it before making such a snap judgement! (in my defense, borne out of poor experience with plastic cam bands) The DSS bands with the elastomeric pad have:

Always held
Never slipped
Are so easy to close, your prior experience says they'll slip

It's one of those forehead-slapping moments. It's amazing what a simple piece of engineered flexible stuff can do!

Don't knock it unless you've tried it. I have tried it, and it really works, even better than all my Super Cinch bands.

All the best, James

stillhope:
What part of an innertube is incompressible? The stem, maybe, but I don't think he's using that.

I've used old innertubes for a large variety of jobs, and they are elegant, easy to work with, and "reusing" them helps me "reduce" my purchases of new things -- a big, big plus in my book!

--reduce, reuse, and recycle

A strip of rubber spread out under a good percentage of the contact area between the camband and the tank represents a lot of square inches ~18 x 2 or 36 sq in.
An inner tube is quite thin ~.05-.06 inches.

Our cam pads are short and thick, ~2 inches long thats about 2 x 2 or 4 inches of contact or 1/9 the area of your inner tube. Our cam pads are about .4" thick.

Consider this: If you wear to lay out a thin sheet of rubber and step on it would it feel "springy" ? I doubt you could feel any compression. Now step on a rubber hand ball.

By concentrating the available load (your weight) on to a small area and using a thick section of rubber you achieved deflection. It's deformation or deflection of the elastomer that makes the cam pads work.

Tobin

jimclarke:
For what it is worth rubber is linearly compressible but bulk incompressible.
Linear compressible - you can sqaush any one direction.
Bulk incompressible - squeezing hardly affects volume.

So rubber makes a good spring but (unlike noprene) has no effect on bouyancy as you change depth.

Many years ago a old time mold designer in a rubber molding plant told me to think of rubber as a very viscus fluid. The volume of a fluid will remain constant, but it can be deformed into various shapes. Same with elastomers the volume is constant the shape can be changed with force.

Tobin

Personally I prefer the Halcyon tank straps.

cool_hardware52:
Many years ago a old time mold designer in a rubber molding plant told me to think of rubber as a very viscus fluid. The volume of a fluid will remain constant, but it can be deformed into various shapes. Same with elastomers the volume is constant the shape can be changed with force.
Tobin
I like the analogy

cool_hardware52:
An inner tube is quite thin ~.05-.06 inches. ... It's deformation or deflection of the elastomer that makes the cam pads work

I certainly wasn't suggesting that your pads didn't work, or that they weren't the cat's pj's. I'd guess they're GREAT! based on what I've been hearing.

But that's a totally different issue from creating something useful from something that's on its way to the trash. To give something old a new use is a thing of beauty in itself. And it it's not easy, if it takes putting new batteries in the thinking cap, so much the better! (as long as they're rechargeable batteries :) )

How many layers of the innertube would it take to be effective? How would you secure them? Maybe something else would be even better? These exercises aren't for everyone -- when I was working long hours and raising kids, it would have been out of the question. But my situation is different now -- I have the time to appreciate the beauty of doing more things for myself -- and much more limited in my ability to buy stuff.

But gee, I have my old ScubaPro straps, so this is all academic to me!

stillhope:
I certainly wasn't suggesting that your pads didn't work, or that they weren't the cat's pj's. I'd guess they're GREAT! based on what I've been hearing.

But that's a totally different issue from creating something useful from something that's on its way to the trash. To give something old a new use is a thing of beauty in itself. And it it's not easy, if it takes putting new batteries in the thinking cap, so much the better! (as long as they're rechargeable batteries :) )

How many layers of the innertube would it take to be effective? How would you secure them? Maybe something else would be even better? These exercises aren't for everyone -- when I was working long hours and raising kids, it would have been out of the question. But my situation is different now -- I have the time to appreciate the beauty of doing more things for myself -- and much more limited in my ability to buy stuff.

But gee, I have my old ScubaPro straps, so this is all academic to me!

John,

It's not about how many layers. You need a deformable piece that can be point loaded. You'd be better off rolling up a 12" piece of inner tube and sticking the roll between the strap and the tank. Keeping it in place when you change tanks will be challenge.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom