Tank strap technology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where can I buy a pair of those SS ScubaPro cam straps? I've done some sniffing around w/ no luck.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
Where can I buy a pair of those SS ScubaPro cam straps? I've done some sniffing around w/ no luck.

LobstaMan

United Divers Inc.
59 Washington Street
Somerville, MA 02143

888.628.3483 (P)
617.666.0410 (P)

They are a Scubapro dealer and Margaret is great.

Or you could use either, depending on the application. Yes, the arrows indicate "up" so the STA is installed the same way each time without having to "think" about it.

omssta.jpg

fredtsta.jpg

Chris Bangs:
The Scubapro strap is great if you always use the same diameter tank, other wise the old "Cam" design is easier to adjust.

CB
Not true at all. Loosely connect the clamp to the D-ring around the tank, pull the free end of the strap slightly snug and lever the clamp closed. All done. No need to wet the strap. No need to memorize how to thread the blasted cam buckle.
I can take off a 72 and put on a 95 in about 5 seconds.
Joe

dumpsterDiver:
I
And while I'm complaining, has everyone noticed that the Oceanic BC's use a PARTICULARLY bad cam band because it is thinner than all the others, and therefore the cam action is less and the strap is held even less securely than the generic plastic cam bands.

We use a material that doesn't stretch nearly as much as the thicker unit you refer to, because of this our BCD's are less likely to have the strap stretch in the water causing the tank to slip.

Even on demo days with brand new, never wet Oceanic BCD's I don't see "slipped" tanks. With most brands it is common.

I'm diving a new Oceanic Outrigger and I can back up cerich in that the strap holds great and has from day one. I've got about 15 dives on the BC and it's awesome.

can somebody please post more detailed pictures on how these straps work?
i really do not understand and but am intrested in buying. also i understand one type has the velcro on the inside(touching the tank) when its all latched down and one is on the outside like the "new" plastic buckles(correct me if im wrong please)

When I had this exact problem I ended up with Tobin's pad as the cheaper alternative to an SP band. As others have experienced the pad solved the problem. If I had to buy a new band I would for sure get a SP over the plastic cam band.

Walter:
The plastic nightmares are extremely difficult to adjust.

Great idea! Instead of fixing the design flaw, sell another product to compensate for the flaw.

I prefer the older version.

You should't make too much noise about something you obviously can't use, and are not willing to learn.:wink:
The plastic nightmare with "flaw compensator" holds double steels (45lbs empty) with one (single tank length, so not really tightened) band in place without failing.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom