Tank racks for transportation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EliteDetail

Registered
Reaction score
anyone know of any good quality tank racks to carry 4 tanks in the back of my pick up truck. Im looking for something very nice but not @ 130.00 like the ones from precision dive gear in FL...theres are very nice, just what I want but 130.00 for a tank rack for my truck is just to costly. Anyone know of any other options? I need something that looks nice yet usuable. thanks guys.

Jay

Hi Jay.

First I must say that I don't own a pick-up truck so you may need to consider something heavier duty.

The foam racks that Charlie gave the link to work well. However, it should be noted that not all tank sizes will fit in the foam. My steel 95's don't.

I would think best for you would be to build a rack yourself with 2x4's. You could use those cinching cords used on boats.

An alternative foam rack can be made by stringing rope thru pool noodles. The noodles can be picked up at Toys-R-Us and then cut down to size. They already have the core drilled out so you'd just need to thread the rope thru them.

Paula

thanks to both of you. the foam isnt a good alternative for me as they dont hold together well say if it go over a speed bump in my lifted truck or if im driving onto the beach or offroad. I need something thats very sturdy like something made of plastic or aluminum and have like rubber tracks for the tank to sit on like those seen at precisiondivegear.com those are pretty *****en but im not looking to spend 130.00 plus shipping for a 4 tank rack. I have 2 80's and 2 63's that need a good sturdy home. thanks for any and all assistance.

hears what I did took four eyebolts and drilled and secured them in my tool box and then sit my tanks upright and secure them from eye to eye with racket tie down they are secure wont go any wear and as safe as any thing else I have seen and cheap !!!

I use noodles (the ones kids use in pools), cut them in to 3 then put rope between them and then sit the tanks on top. Stops them from rolling and also cushions them. Plus I have bungy cord holding ht etanks down to stop them from jumping.

. . . a couple of aluminum fence posts. Cost me a whole eight bucks - Canadian funds too. Laced some rope in between them, taped some foam around the tank contact points and voila, anti rolling tank transporter. Hell I even splurged (s.p?) and bought the green nylon coated post. Email me if you want a pic.

Build it out of steel. Real cheap. Then have it Rhino Lined. Not expensive at all. Won't rust either. Good Luck.

I carry from 1 to 20 tanks at a time and found a great way that is cheap and safe! I have a pickup that has a bed liner in it and it has places in the liner to put a board to keep stuff from rolling around I guess. So I bought a 2"X12" cut it to fit in those slots. Then I marked and cut 3" long holes every 8" with a router. I then went to Wal-Mart and bought a Cargo strap that had a ratchet on one end. I sit the tanks in front of the board standing up and run the strap around them and through the 3" holes. Then I just ratchet it tight and I can haul them without having to repair a bent tank valve steams or hear the "clang" of a tank that came loose? I also carry 104cuft doubles and deco bottles and as I add tanks all I do is move the strap to a different hole to accommodate the number of tanks?

Cavnutz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom