Tank Protection?

Are those plastic tank sleeves worth it?

• Yes!

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • I use them, but I could just as well do without them.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • My tanks are just fine without them.

Votes: 82 76.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one on my yellow Al80,to protect the paint (I know, dings are a badge of diving :) ) but it comes off for diving because I can't get the cam buckle to be tight enough to guarantee no slippage (tried it so tight that the mesh is deformed now and I hear SP is one of the good cam buckles)

With a steel tank I would not bother with it at all

DB

Got to agree and disagree at the same time !!!!! Duh!You say!
I'll explain.......the plastic tank sleeves are a waste of time, had them on my OMS Faber 18l steel and it was a pain as stated by my previous esteemed collegues. However. I've replaced the plastic with a cord/thread sleeve which I use on my other cylinders; twin 10.2 Cressi steels and my 8l 300 bar Poseidon. They work great, my twins are over 8 years old and still look in good condition. Never used a plastic or thread/cord sleeve on my ally cylinder though....doesn't look right?...so it just gets beaten up!!!LOL

I just keep mine on if only to keep the bling metallic bule finish nice and shiny :D
But then again, I didn't buy the tank protector or tank, since my first scuba setup was a gift from my parents..

Edit: Haven't had experiences with it slipping. Currently have 2 tank straps on bc, plus I wet the straps whenever possible before attaching to tank.

D_B:
umm ... cord/thread sleeve ???

where/how much/etc ?

DB
Hey D_B
We buy them from our local distributor her in Cape Town SA and at our shop all the 10l and 12l steels have them on (as do most steel cylinder divers here in SA)....funny come to think of it now; I spent 8 years in the USA,in Atlanta and San Francisco and I can't recall once seeing a steel cylinder having this type of protection (MAYBE i'M GOING SENILE :) . I'll take a pic with my cell phone tonite and I'll post it tomorrow for you to take a look....unless a SA collegue beats me to it.

I think of them as like a bra , a tank bra . Well my tanks dont have tits so i didnt put a bra on them. Same thing with my car.

terrasmak:
I think of them as like a bra , a tank bra . Well my tanks dont have tits so i didnt put a bra on them. Same thing with my car.
Interesting comparison.....never really thought of them as bras and my cylinders as boobs....but hey each to their own,that's why I say. Just dying to know what make of car you drive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom