Tank Protection?

Are those plastic tank sleeves worth it?

• Yes!

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • I use them, but I could just as well do without them.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • My tanks are just fine without them.

Votes: 82 76.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skyline but just picked up a van . I don't think you read my post right , my car/tanks DON'T have tits , so neither has a bra.

Many items on this board can be trivial, this board is a source of ideas and education. I like others have had many a question answered by just reading the posts. I did think about this same thing as I had has tank slip out of the BC straps by leaving this mesh on. Now I will remove the mesh and on dives, but I will use it for tank protection when multiple tanks are stowed in my boat or my car trunk. Good post!!!

I know I have seen tank covers not mesh or plastic and I figured out where. It was on the PADI DVD . So I went back to my instructor and ask to borrow it again. Section 1 is where I found it,They say Coral Reef on them but I cant find them anywhere on the web. Ok I tracked what I saw on the video down. NOT GOOD. Coral reef wetsuits stopped making them 4.5 years ago.

My dive buddy used the mesh covers on his tanks for about 5 dives and could never keep the tank from slipping. Now he has them removed and has no problems at all. I would suggest taking your 15.00 and spending it on something useful.

They are handy (altho you have be careful of slippage) for keeping your aluminum tanks looking good. Aluminum gets banged up easily, and if you like your tanks shiny, they'll help. Just be aware there will be some occasional hassles.

They are utterly pointless when you own a beautiful pair of PST galvanized tanks... the galvanization process on the steel is just too tough to have the same concern as aluminum.

I keep my Al80 covered with mesh plastic for storage or putting in the car so it won't get damaged from things in the car but when I dive, I took it off. I like to keep my tank look nice/shiny, that's me.

This can be a religious discussion - something like matching the color of one's purge button with one's wetsuit trim...

I use them on every tank I own (except the pony - can't find one the right diameter) for differing reasons:

For my AL 80's, they protect the tank from dings.

For my Steels (Faber & PST), they protect (somewhat) the other contents of the trunk of my car from the tanks should they break loose and roll, and also protect the (expensive) Nitrox bands from the cam.

Maybe my cam straps are a bit strange, but I stopped having tanks slip when I bought the protectors - they adhere better to the tank surface under pressure than do the straps, and also they adhere nicely to the straps.

As far as asthetics I'd just as soon take them off and show off my beautiful tanks, but frankly they're functional and protect my (expensive) equipment nicely and make it easy to identify yours truly among the swarm of folks wearing the same color wet/drysuits, so they stay on.

Tom

Seems most everybody dosent care for them, but I have a differant opinion. I have them on 2 of my tanks and will soon be putting them on my 2 newest ones. So far they have saved a couple of dings and scratchs on my tanks finish. I know its a scuba tank its supposed to get scratched and worn, but I paid good money for my black tanks and would like to keep them looking nice for as long as possable. As for the slipage, its happened a few times but only when I dont sinch my tank bands down tight enough. Dont get me wrong I really have to tighten them down, but once I do I dont have any problems, and I've done some very long walks to the beach wearing my BC without any problems and have never had a tank shift while in the water. I think they are worth the money, but hey thats just me.

Well I found something that I think is what I was looking for and will post a picture as soon as the brochure gets here. The following is an article from sportdiver mag online.

Creative Critters has designed a Speedo for your tank. Give your tank color, visibility and protection and cover up unsightly marks (just like a bathing suit) with the Tank Skin. Colorful nylon/Lycra material is stitched to slide easily on and off your tank. Caring for the material can be done with mild soap or a dunk in the gear tank after a dive. Five color schemes are available: rainbow (dark blue to a pink hue), lime green, hot pink, yellow (with quilted floral pattern), and orange. Tank Skins are $19.95 plus shipping and handling.

For more information or to place an order, call Creative Critters at 860-870-1487.

Back
Top Bottom