Tank evaluation help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If those valves are assembled correctly, the picture would indicate they are wide open, and the tanks are empty. I would be a bit concerned about them being stored like that. I would want to pop the valve for a look inside.

Yeah, I noticed those green open indicators too after my initial posts. I've never taken off a valve before -- is it as simple as unscrewing by hand (and then peering in with a flashlight)?

----------------

Edit: I answered my own question with this video:

Yeah, I noticed those green open indicators too after my initial posts. I've never taken off a valve before -- is it as simple as unscrewing by hand (and then peering in with a flashlight)?

----------------

Edit: I answered my own question with this video:
Depends on who put them on. spec is ~50ft/lbs torque depending on manufacture of the tank. A rubber mallet used with care is usually enough to remove but don't hit on the valve handle, hit on the metal of the opposite side. A large crescent wrench may be needed, If tight use some tape on the wrench face to try not to mar the valve. They are made of brass, a softer metal so don't go crazy. Personally, Id ask he owner to take them off if they don't come off without much effort.

Those “green indicators” are Vindicator knobs. I’m a huge fan of them. Green open. Red closed.

Back
Top Bottom