Tank evaluation help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Manfrenjensenden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to pick up a tank or two for some local shore diving, and a local seller has these. I can make out "LP95" so I know that much (I was hoping for a slightly smaller LP tank but these would work). I also know they're well out of hydro, and I've asked if they've been stored pressurized (seller getting me an answer). Anything else anyone can tell me about these or suggest things I should find out before making an offer? Anything I should be wary of? Thank you.
228011618_518843665855592_7013182236084998423_n.jpeg
227424047_3796779860422871_7171133907028628911_n.jpeg

I would check for pitting under the boot (I've bought 8 or so steel tanks older than those, and haven't had an issue. But it's an easy check.) You could also see about an offer that's contingent on passing hydro. Last, if they are empty then you could pop the cork and look in with a flashlight to check for major rust.

Respectfully,

james

I would check for pitting under the boot (I've bought 8 or so steel tanks older than those, and haven't had an issue. But it's an easy check.) You could also see about an offer that's contingent on passing hydro. Last, if they are empty then you could pop the cork and look in with a flashlight to check for major rust.

Respectfully,

james

Thanks James. Based on this it looks like Faber and PST make LP95s. Any way to know which these are?

They are 95 only if you can get them filled to 2640 (the proverbial + stamp syndrome). Requalification may or may not get you a plus-rated tank, and shops may limit what they will fill them to (possibly only 2400). They are short compared to a LP85, HP100, or an AL80, so if you are tall they may tip you forward. They are also 8" diameter, so switching between other tanks (7.25" dia) can be a hassle with readjusting cam bands depending on what you have.

All depends on what you want...

Although there are many fans of LP95 tanks on this board, my suggestion would be to search for some HP100's. They are nearly the same size as the AL80's you've been using, they are negative when empty (unlike AL80's) which will allow you to carry less weight.

Thanks James. Based on this it looks like Faber and PST make LP95s. Any way to know which these are?
I'm not super familiar with modern steel tanks... so I'm not sure if Faber or PST have distinctive markings on their LP95s. Sorry I'm no help there.
They are 95 only if you can get them filled to 2640 (the proverbial + stamp syndrome).
If I'm reading things right, the Transport Canada stamp is for 184 bar working pressure (approximately 2670 psi)... and OP is listed as being in Canada. So I believe he should get proper fills regardless of + or no +... in Canada.
Of course, my advise is worth what you paid for it! lol

James

They are 95 only if you can get them filled to 2640 (the proverbial + stamp syndrome). Requalification may or may not get you a plus-rated tank, and shops may limit what they will fill them to (possibly only 2400). They are short compared to a LP85, HP100, or an AL80, so if you are tall they may tip you forward. They are also 8" diameter, so switching between other tanks (7.25" dia) can be a hassle with readjusting cam bands depending on what you have.

All depends on what you want...

If I'm reading things right, the Transport Canada stamp is for 184 bar working pressure (approximately 2670 psi)... and OP is listed as being in Canada. So I believe he should get proper fills regardless of + or no +... in Canada.

James

This is actually for occasional shallow-ish and probably short-ish shore diving in Maine, so the amount of air won't be the limiting factor for dives. There isn't a place close enough to rent tanks, which would be my preference given that I'm probably only going to do one-tank dives about a half-dozen times per year. I used LP85s in the past and liked them (I'm tall), so I am hesitant to shift my center of gravity with a shorter tank, but I these tanks would be easy and convenient for me to purchase. Re-adjusting bands and a smaller tank volume don't bother me; a short tank may prove to be a problem.

I'm not super familiar with modern steel tanks... so I'm not sure if Faber or PST have distinctive markings on their LP95s. Sorry I'm no help there.

Of course, my advise is worth what you paid for it! lol

James

They also have a DOT stamp that's US isn't it?

a short tank may prove to be a problem.

I'm 6'-7", I understand that a whole bunch..... :thumb:

(I too picked up a pair of LP85 for a real deal. I haven't dove them yet... I do frequently dive a DH, so wearing a tank low is in my method)

The cylinders were most likely made by Worthington. In addition to the boot and pitting I would want to see inside the cylinder. My suggestion, would be to meet the seller at a dive shop, drain the air, pop the valve, and have a peek inside. If it looks good (no rust, pitting, etc.) add a bit of air and send them off for hydro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom