Tank evaluation help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are 95 only if you can get them filled to 2640 (the proverbial + stamp syndrome). Requalification may or may not get you a plus-rated tank, and shops may limit what they will fill them to (possibly only 2400). They are short compared to a LP85, HP100, or an AL80, so if you are tall they may tip you forward. They are also 8" diameter, so switching between other tanks (7.25" dia) can be a hassle with readjusting cam bands depending on what you have.

All depends on what you want...
They are worthington 95s
The OP is in Canada. TC doesnt use + stamps and the 184 bar rating is the same as 2640psi. (2668psi technically)

If he takes them for fills in Maine after getting them hydroed in Canada they won't have a + and will only get filled to 2400 (in theory depends on the shop)

They look to be in excellent condition. Canadian used tank prices are insane on the west coast, I dont know the value on the east coast

They also have a DOT stamp that's US isn't it?
Yep, most north american market modern cylinders are stamped for DOT and TC.
Rjack231 explained it better than I did!

Sorry for the cross-country confusion on this. Yes, I'm in Canada, but this tank would be purchased in the US exclusively for use in the US. The hydro would be done in Maine.

I've never actually dived in Canada, so I did learn a thing or two about Canadian tank regulations, though!
Hey at least you know!

The USA hydro will be recognized in Canada for 184 bar fills.
A Canadian hydro will be recognized in the USA, but minus the + so in theory only to 2400 psi.

Hey at least you know!

The USA hydro will be recognized in Canada for 184 bar fills.
A Canadian hydro will be recognized in the USA, but minus the + so in theory only to 2400 psi.

Based on this info the OP needs to finds friend in Canada to visit!

They are 95 only if you can get them filled to 2640 (the proverbial + stamp syndrome). Requalification may or may not get you a plus-rated tank, and shops may limit what they will fill them to (possibly only 2400). They are short compared to a LP85, HP100, or an AL80, so if you are tall they may tip you forward. They are also 8" diameter, so switching between other tanks (7.25" dia) can be a hassle with readjusting cam bands depending on what you have.

All depends on what you want...

Echo this, it's a PITA if you have to change into a AL80 or something after using it.

Question though, what's diameter of typical HP120s? are they 7.25?

If those valves are assembled correctly, the picture would indicate they are wide open, and the tanks are empty. I would be a bit concerned about them being stored like that. I would want to pop the valve for a look inside.

Echo this, it's a PITA if you have to change into a AL80 or something after using it.

Huh?? Adjusting the tank straps is easy. Undo the strap from the first slot on cam, pull tight, rethread, and lock. Helps to get them wet first.

Huh?? Adjusting the tank straps is easy. Undo the strap from the first slot on cam, pull tight, rethread, and lock. Helps to get them wet first.

I've personally always struggle to get a right tight fit. Sometimes I'd have to do 3,4 adjustment to get it secured.
And the webbing is very stiff.. :(

Back
Top Bottom