Tank always filled under 3000psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A nice slow fill and top off the next day is how I do it. Not terribly efficient but less stress on the tanks and full fills.

I see you are in PA. What part?

Last edited:
I drop off my tanks and my LDS gives me my HP100s at 3500 to 3800 psi. I have no complaints. I do not tip but I am a good customer.

They are ripping you off and taking away valuable breaths underwater, ask for a top up once at the store :)

My customers usually drop tanks off and come back another day so I don't have to rush but I also have a chart for all the tanks I fill so I know what the pressure should be at the rate I fill. I double check them cold to make sure no one gets shorted.

I see you are in PA. What part?

Western

Why should he have to beg or bribe people to get a proper fill?

I come from a none tipping culture. But if I came to North America (where my brother lives) and went diving I wouldn't be paying extra for people to do their jobs properly. I'd be telling them it was unacceptable that they didn't do it in the first place.

And I have a special hatred for underfilling cylinders after working in a place where I'd often have to cut dives because people started with 150 bar.

Canadian here, and a particularly non confrontational one at that. I won't accept a short fill, but I'd rather fix it in a peaceful way. They are providing a service and if it isn't the one I want, I take my business elsewhere or suggestion how they can change.

Confronting the person as doing something unacceptable might get you a grudging full fill but more than likely the convenience will go down, or the price goes up other ways.That's my observation.

Different personality types and cultures I guess too.

Cameron

Having a short fill is one of my pet hates. To prevent this I check the tank before I leave the LDS, and if its short I ask for a tank thats full. Sometimes I get a strange look and a question of "whats wrong". I then reply that the tank should be 200 BAR, 3000 psi and thats what I expect, if I take a tank thats short filled I do not get sufficient time in the water. Occasionally it has been a standoff fo a few seconds as the assistant decides whether to argue or get a tank thats full. I have never been refused a full tank tho. I think more people should take a stand as then it shows that divers will not accept a short fill. In this way the standard then becomes "at service pressure", rather than "only when hot", which smacks of laziness. When I fill my tanks they are at the service pressure (238 BAR) period. If they are not I top them up before diving. Any tanks I lend/hire to others is at service pressure.

While short/hot fills are the likely cause, if you are using 1 spg to check the pressure, it is entirely possible that it is off by a few hundred psi. Take your reg in next time and check the tank with it and against their gages.

Different personality types and cultures I guess too.

Probably more of a personality thing, or possibly a generational thing...

we do tip in Britain for certain things, although I wouldn't tip for a tank fill.

I'm also of a mind that things are best sorted in a non-confrontational way...that's the way I am & like being and find people respond positively most of the time. If not, then its time to take it up a notch and/or take your business elsewhere.

But a short fill is a shorter dive so not acceptable!

Last edited:
To me a tank "fill" means the tank will be "filled" - which looking at a dictionary means "to become full". Not to be partly filled. Part fill and I will part pay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom