Tank always filled under 3000psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the part I don't get: According to Huron's Spec Chart a Luxfer 80 is only 77.4 cu/ft of air when filled to 3000 psi. I think this particular tank probably qualifies as a "typical AL80." According to my calculations (which could easily be wrong) you would need to fill it to about 3100 in order to get 80 cu/ft (I came up with 79.98). I think I would be complaining about not getting 3100 psi.

Is there such a thing as a "+" stamp on aluminum tanks? I don't think I've ever seen one but I haven't really looked on any tanks other than the ones I've owned. If filled to 3300 that would be about 85 cu/ft, according to my calculations (feel free to check them :wink: ) I have one from '83 that is marked "3000-J", whatever that means.

Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

Be friendly, calm and reasonable, but stand up for yourself. I would check the pressure and ask them to top if off if needed. You don't need to be shy because a complaint is a gift to the company: if they want to stand out, to compete better, to improve their business, the customer with a complaint is telling them how to make it happen.

If they aren't smart eneought to fix the problem, vote with your feet and take your business elsewhere.

Every time I get a fill from my LDS the tank pressure is around 2600-2700psi? Is there a reason it would consistently be under 3000psi?
As many have said, the most logical reason is that they 'hot fill', but to 3000 psi. If I need to 'hot fill' (e.g. customer waiting) I usually take the cylinder to 3300 psi. That is not uncommon. Our preference is to fill, let the cylinder cool, and top off to the working pressure (possibly with an additional 50psi). I don't understand why an operation would 'hot fill' to only 3000.

Is there such a thing as a "+" stamp on aluminum tanks?
The + on LP steel tanks allows them to be filled to 10% above the capacity stated on the tank. It is not used on aluminum tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom