Tank always filled under 3000psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Every time I get a fill from my LDS the tank pressure is around 2600-2700psi? Is there a reason it would consistently be under 3000psi?

Note: This is a standard aluminum 80.

Thanks

It would appear that they haven't figured out how to provide a 3000psi fill. They might be filling too fast and cutting off the fill when they reach 3000, which will cool down to 26-27k. Choices are very slow fill, or over fill to 3400 psi which will cool to 3000-3100.

Thanks. I just googled hot fill and that explains this. The tank gets filled in 15minutes or so and there is no water bath when they fill it.

In other words, you're getting screwed because they don't know how to do a hot fill. The other alternative is to drop it off, have them fill it and pick it up the next day and have them top it off.

A kind conversation how you'd enjoy a full fill should help. Or a generous tip and a wink at whosoever is running the compressor.

Why should he have to beg or bribe people to get a proper fill?

I come from a none tipping culture. But if I came to North America (where my brother lives) and went diving I wouldn't be paying extra for people to do their jobs properly. I'd be telling them it was unacceptable that they didn't do it in the first place.

And I have a special hatred for underfilling cylinders after working in a place where I'd often have to cut dives because people started with 150 bar.

Our tell them you want a prorated discount, they'll say sure 10% off the fill, you say no... 10% off the entire cost of your dive day including gas tips etc. :rant:

Last edited:
Are you dropping off and picking up later or waiting for the fill? If you are waiting and they fill to 3000 it'll cool down to 2700-2800 on a 10-15 minute fill. Filling slower will be closer to 3000 once cooled. If you're picking up, they could/may just top you off before you leave. The top off would be best without overfilling or you could do a 3300 and cool to 3000.

My LDS hits the service pressure almost every time. Probably because they have been doing it a long time and don't fill real fast and know what the tank will cool to. If you are a regular, an old steel 72 will be 2300 to 2400#.

As an aside, water baths do not do much cooling as the heat starts internally and the water is not a factor until after the tank is already filled, at which point the tank is usually pulled out.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom