Tampa - Gainsville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man with all these votes for Ginnie I am going to have to go back and try it again. I was sooo bored when I was there. I did all the spots on less than one tank. I had to be missing something the way y'all talk about it.

Hmmmm...

Little Devil, Devil's Eye and Devil's Ear can all usually be done on one tank and there's really not a ton to see in there if you are not a cave diver. The ear is fun because of the flow and the log, and the eye is cool because you can go into the cavern a little ways until you run out of light (you'll be suprised how far in you can go if you go slow and let your eyes adjust).

The Ginnie Springs Ballroom (next parking lot over) can be a 2 tank dive by itself. You can take a light into that one and there is always stuff to see in there.

Plus Ginnie has so much to do for non-divers, especially tubing down the river. On a hot summer day, you can't beat that (especially if you are in a group and you have a cooler full of 'adult refreshments'.

Heck, I've spent hours in the Ballroom screwing around....and I mean that, probably 10 hours this last year alone. Every dive you think "aw, I've seen this before! How boring!" then you notice something you never saw, and you realize that unless you've taken the time to make a map of the place, you really haven't ever seen it all at all...until you've poked your head into every nook and cranny, seen the room from every angle.... But it's just a big rock room, sometimes with some fish, eels and crawfish, and many ocean water divers don't see the beauty in it.

Come to Ginnie during the week, it is much, much quieter. On Friday and Saturday you'll be up to your neck in drunk tubers. Sundays are nice, Mondays are better. If you end up coming there on a Fri, Sat, Sun or Mon, that's when I usually am scheduled, say hi! And yes, most of my coworkers have been asked before, "Hey is JahJahwarrior around?" :)

And Crystal River is definitely cool!

Sounds good all.. thanks for the info..

What about the Tampa area? Weeki Wachee?

You could do Weeki.I was there a few years ago.The ole park was rundown but o.k.They had a nice little water park dumping into the spring.I think diving there is about 50.00 or was.Things may have changed.

Weeki Wachee is ok, but you can do it in less than 1 tank unless you are a cave diver. They make you get in and out at least 3 min before the first show which is about 11:00, so the water can clear up. Then you can get back in after the last show, which I think is about 2:30 or so. They make you sign a waiver saying you WILL NOT go below 30ft (random computer checks are threatened.) There are some nice fish, some real cute turtles. You get to look at some of the show stuff, but not touch. most of it is about 12-15 feet, until you go to the actual hole. The hole is nice, and you can feel the water flow. 30ft is really a tease because you can see soooooo far down, and just have to look. Visibility is vitually as far as you can see. FYI, it is easy to "drift" down while looking:no Anyway, just wanted you to make sure you time it right so you don't get there expecting to dive and can't due to a show. ALSO, I actually think it was $60 when I went, not positive thought.

I hope this helps.

I'm at Weekie on a regular basis for classes. It is worth doing. You can actually sit on the side underwater and watch the show from there. You just have to stay out of the viewing area of the theatre. Which means you have to stay out of the main spring. The water park is pretty cool. I have personally hit 50' in there and I'm not cave certified. They make you sign the waiver because someone went down and got into the overhead area and the flow from the spring pushed them into the rocks above and they got hurt. Not badly but enough to make Weekie worry about lawsuits. So now you have to sign a waiver. Sometimes the mermaids get in the water with you and that can be a good time. I would definately recommend it at least once. If for no other reason than when you see it on some random tv show about the area you can brag to your friends that you have been diving there.

You're gonna get hot in a 7. Water at 72 feels really nice when the "feels like temp" is over 100.
Take a trip over to the devils area of Ginnie springs, and 75% of what you'll see are drysuits or 7mil semidry, so I'd say that a 7mil would be fine.

To the OP- I'm not sure where you could play with a scooter. I know Ginnie requires full cave + DPV to use a scooter there, whether you could tell them you were just going to play with it in open water or not I'm not sure. I know CEE rents SS's for $100 a day according to their website, but once again, I'm not sure what their rental policy is. Also salvo is within 15 minutes of Ginnie, and I know they do let interested buyers test their equipment from time to time.

Also don't forget Manatee Springs, they have kayak rentals, a clear head spring, and then there's Catfish Hotel for a neat open water dive, plus tons of grills and tables for the family!

Last edited:
Take a trip over to the devils area of Ginnie springs, and 75% of what you'll see are drysuits or 7mil semidry, so I'd say that a 7mil would be fine.

To the OP- I'm not sure where you could play with a scooter. I know Ginnie requires full cave + DPV to use a scooter there, whether you could tell them you were just going to play with it in open water or not I'm not sure. I know CEE rents SS's for $100 a day according to their website, but once again, I'm not sure what their rental policy is. Also salvo is within 15 minutes of Ginnie, and I know they do let interested buyers test their equipment from time to time.

Also don't forget Manatee Springs, they have kayak rentals, a clear head spring, and then there's Catfish Hotel for a neat open water dive, plus tons of grills and tables for the family!

I went to Ginnie today.. didn't make it to the devil* anything.. All the swimmers must have been stupid drunk. Otherwise I don't see how they could stand the cold @$$ water. I wore my 7mm and was nice and warm...

Who/What is CEE? I'd be up for that..... I plan to hit the Blue Grotto tomorrow, in my 7mm.

Get in touch with Weekie Wachee if you want to use your scooter. They allow them there and there is plenty of room to play around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom