Tampa Bay area Divers, Part 2.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill Jacksons is a top notch dive shop and everyone there is very well qualified. Welcome to the area and a shorty or dive skin will be just fine for most of the year. You may consider a 3mil full suit as there are a lot of freshwater springs to dive here year around and water temps there are low 70's.
Good luck on your refresher course.

Went out Saturday April 1st.
1st stop, The Army tanks again. Saw some neat aquatic life but MissD and Eric take first place for most impressive find with a $300.00 anchor. 2nd place goes to Louis who found 2 more tanks bringing the total tanks we've been able to find to 4. Vis was top to bottom, and 45+ horizontal. Water was probably 70+ and air was 81F.

2nd stop, Veterans reef. First I'd like to thank the diver and his non-diving friend in the center console without a dive flag who tried to tell me the barges were 100 yards away from him (turns out he was right over them). I have some choice words for you, and I'd like to remind you of the concept of Buddies, & dive flags, but I'll simply say April fools, you had me for a minute there. Once we found the barges in 45 feet of water, the vis was again top to bottom, and 45+ Horizontal. The barges were fanatstic. lots of fish, Eandiver pointed out a mamoth Goliath Grouper. I would like to think that I missed the op to take its picture because we stirred up the silt, but I think I was just too much in awe to push the shutter button. That thing was bigger than my son! Also worth noteing the abundance of very neat shells at the site.

Pics are my son at one of the tanks he found, and the inside of the barges. I'll post the rest in my photo gallery as soon as I can

Ean, MissD, your turn.

Um, Miss Directed, Good Friday is the 14th....

frogman_5:
Um, Miss Directed, Good Friday is the 14th....

Hmmm, we know what religion.... Anyway, I am out of town that weekend. Doing Spiegal Grove!

And I thought I was the only heathen on the boat!

frogman_5:
And I thought I was the only heathen on the boat!

So anyother time but that weekend I guess, you heathen :D

Also went to Weeki Wachee Spring on Sunday the 2nd. Met Netdoc and Walter. Got to dive the Spring with some more Scubaboard members. For those that haven't met them yet Netdoc and Walter are a great bunch of guys. I didn't get to talk to Walter much, but got to talk with Netdoc, and got some really cool scubaboard stickers.
Diving the spring is always pretty much the same. unlimited vis, warm water. What was different was that they were having a "vintage" weekend there. Got to see divers using the old copper helmets, divers using the old rear mounted one stage, two hose regulators. very neat. there was a guy there that dove with and had pictures of Carl Brashear. The movie "men of honor" with Cuba Gooding Jr. was written about Carl. But the best part was the mermaid. they sent one out to say hello to the divers and after posing for some pictures the host told the mermaid over the inwater audio system to "go flirt with the divers". She starts doing all these qute moves and smiles to a bunch of gauking (myself included) divers. Looked like an under water adult club..LOL

I didn't have my camera with me so no pic's on this one. Netdoc, Walter, nice to have met you, hope to dive with you all again soon.

Dave

N@rco$i$,
I have sent you a PM. It looks like I'm free on Sunday the 9th so if you are still planning on heading out, I'd like to join you.

It was good to meet you, Dave. We'll have to do it again soon. You disappeared too soon, several of us had dinner together.

Hi Guys .
My name is Duncan and I will be doing a tooth dive with the florida west scuba school
on the 6th of may (a fair bit off I know).I will be in town for some time either side of that date.I was wondering as I am basically a tourist (though would love to settle in Florida)all be it for 5 weeks. Is it just a :locals only: diving when it comes to beach dives or are all welcome ,I would need to hire tanks and weights,bit heavy for air travel.
I am travelling alone and would like to meet up with some like minded divers whilst in Florida.
Not sure if I have put this right or not but with out trying one never knows.
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom