Talked to Scubapro US yesterday and they said the Mk19 is a go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a weird term, had to google it .
Site: Gammarist "the term originated in Britain, though today it is almost exclusively used in the United States. Related terms are ponies up, ponied up and ponying up. To pay more money. There I was thinking it was a small horse.
Pay more for Scubapro, OK, got it.

What a weird term, had to google it .
Site: Gammarist "the term originated in Britain, though today it is almost exclusively used in the United States. Related terms are ponies up, ponied up and ponying up. To pay more money. There I was thinking it was a small horse.
Pay more for Scubapro, OK, got it.

I’m watching Rake now. Need an Australian to English dictionary. Crikey.

You'll get as many different answers as the total number of responses. Some people swear by the latest and greatest, some people swear by their very first reg they bought back in 1945. I can't say that I am all that impressed by my D420, but I haven't given it a retune so it may be at sub optimal status already.

I love my S600 and G250 and honestly couldn't tell you which was in my mouth at depth if you blindfolded me. My brother has an A700 and he hasn't complained about it. Anything Scubapro with an adjustment knob is going to be a pretty good breather if you want to pony up for the brand surcharge.

That is a totally fair point. Any of the top line ScubaPro regs can be tuned to breathe very well.

That said, these days, if I’m doing a technical dive on OC, my SP regs stay in my bag and I’m using Atomic M1s. They breathe just as well. Environmentally sealed. And, less expensive (in the US, anyway).

That said, these days, if I’m doing a technical dive on OC, my SP regs stay in my bag and I’m using Atomic M1s. They breathe just as well. Environmentally sealed. And, less expensive (in the US, anyway).

@stuartv is right in this case :)

In my region, SP is much less expensive than in the US however.

@stuartv is right in this case :)

In my region, SP is much less expensive than in the US however.
Same here in Italy. SP costs less and it is much easier to find service kits and spare parts.
I purchase many goods from foreign countries, I source them where they cost less: China, USA, Japan, Vietnam, UK, any EU country.
I do not understand what forbids people in US to purchase SP regs from EU-based online resellers, which often offer good bargains on Ebay or other safe E-commerce platforms...
In this global world, one should buy from any country without problems.

I do not understand what forbids people in US to purchase SP regs from EU-based online resellers, which often offer good bargains on Ebay or other safe E-commerce platforms...

Service and warranty issues and EU SP dealers are probably forbidden from officially selling into the US market. If you add shipping and possibly custom duties, it probably doesn't make much difference at the end.

So speaking of ScubaPro 2nd stages....what are everyones thoughts on the A700, S600 and G260? I do have a D420 that I am sending to rsinger to tune up. Just curious as to the benefits of the other 2nd stages? Does the A700 really help with moisture from the dry tank air? Is any of the 2nd stages much better breathers than the others?

I've tried a bunch of the Scubapro regulators (work for a SP shop) and settled on the G260, so much so that I still have 5 of them :yeahbaby:. I will be moving my 3 mk 17s and 2 mk 25s on and getting 3 of the MK19 evos ( I moved to a rebreather for non teaching diving), but will probably keep all 5 of the G260s and rotate them through.

Service and warranty issues and EU SP dealers are probably forbidden from officially selling into the US market. If you add shipping and possibly custom duties, it probably doesn't make much difference at the end.
Do you mean that an authorised SP shop will refuse servicing or honouring the guarantee for their own products?
This does not happens here for products purchased directly in the USA (Apple, for example, or Dell).
When a product is sold with a "worldwide guarantee", it should be serviced all around the world, this is actually one of the best selling point for SP: their regs are supported by a worldwide network of shops, all carrying spare parts and which can fix you reg while you are travelling in exotic locations.
Other excellent brands cannot say the same, outside certain countries it is almost impossible to find shops capable of servicing them.
Regarding import duties, these are generally a very bad thing, and I warmly hope that all these additional taxations will disappear in this globalized world. Removing them within the EU market boosted the economies of EU countries, so I really hope that this unjust taxation for importing goods is removed worldwide.
In the meanwhile, however, there are ways to minimize these costs. I do not know the tricks for the route EU=>US, but I know a number of tricks (some fully legal, some not so much) for avoiding to pay high import duties when I purchase goods from US to Italy. A quick search on the Internet can show you some of these tricks. As said, some are fully legal!

Back
Top Bottom