Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, but you can dive a single AL80 with the right rig with no problem. Initially I suggestes a SM rig because the OP was looking for a rig he could use for double tanks AND single tank diving. IMHO, a good SM rig is more versatile than any bp/W configuration. Most people that dive bp/w have more than one wing... lot's of SM divers use the sme rig and home and on vacation.

I brought the topic back around to sidemount because the op is looking to get talked out of bpw. The other alternative that is of consideration then is sidemount. Benno, the benefits that you mention give sidemount strong weight. Like many have mentioned to them it is just another tool while for some it is their only rig.

Nobody said 'Razor-style' rig. (...) I wouldn't pick a razor-style rig but of course you can use a harness-style system in cold water, especially in OW. Tons and tons of people are doing it.

Perhaps it would be worth discussing alternatives? At the time I was choosing my rig, the only rigs I've seen people dive around here or that they were recommending for local conditions were Nomad, SMS, and Contour. If there is a better rig out there that better suits the everyday needs of a cold water diver and performs well in warm waters, maybe it's worth talking about a few concrete examples. I can't comment on rigs I've never heard of. Since the OP dives in PNW as well, this seems quite relevant to the discussion in this thread (if he were to seriously consider the advice to go sidemount).

I would like to learn sidemount. I can see wanting to dive that way in some situations - e.g. cavern/cave (which is also in my future).

But, I spent two weeks at the beginning of June diving with a buddy who is an experienced sidemount diver. After watching him, I feel like I would always choose my back mount doubles over sidemount, when diving off a boat in rough surface conditions - e.g. diving wrecks off North Carolina. I was in and out of the water much more quickly and easily with my BM doubles than my buddy was with his SM doubles.

Also, I have been on "cattle" boats in North Carolina, south Florida, Mexico, and Hawaii (Big Island and Oahu). Not a huge sample. But, I have never had any issue with the fact that I was using a SS BP, wing, and Hogarthian harness. Right now, I can't even remember a time that anyone remarked upon it or seemed to pay any attention to it at all.

I am uncomfortable in bm and my back stiffens after a week of diving. Its annoying to feel the mass of the tank with every movement while diving but it's the lack of mobility that bothers me over the course of a dozen dives.
So dive less or change something.
Went sm and won't bm again, I just don't see an advantage. Now, after 2 dozen dives in 2 weeks, my back is fine. No tension. Diving doubles is as easy as a single and requires no reconfiguring. The harness has 2 tiny plates for threading the webbing and practically disappears once adjusted. After you splash, it kinda feels like like you left your rig on the boat. Just freedom of motion. Try looking over your left shoulder at your right fin. That kind of mobility.
FYI, some op's will require a c-card.

I shifted my wife over to the UTD side mount system due to back issues, she has regained her love of diving in a big way. I did the course with her to keep her company and man Ive never had less hassle getting into / out of the water and gearing up.

I understand the "tool for a job" idea but i am REALLY struggling to conceive of an open water dive I would do in BM again.

I shifted my wife over to the UTD side mount system due to back issues, she has regained her love of diving in a big way. I did the course with her to keep her company and man Ive never had less hassle getting into / out of the water and gearing up.

I understand the "tool for a job" idea but i am REALLY struggling to conceive of an open water dive I would do in BM again.

Last edited:
No one has mentioned Oxycheq but I dive an Oxycheq single tank wing with 40lb lift for my cold water diving and LP85 tank. I take it on warm water vacations all the time because it's actually quite compact and doesn't taco. It's a donut and I notice no drag. I'm sure a smaller one would be even better but this hugs the tank nicely. They do make warm water wings but this one does me well for both! It's very sturdy and no issues on dive boats

No one has mentioned Oxycheq but I dive an Oxycheq single tank wing with 40lb lift for my cold water diving and LP85 tank. I take it on warm water vacations all the time because it's actually quite compact and doesn't taco. It's a donut and I notice no drag. I'm sure a smaller one would be even better but this hugs the tank nicely. They do make warm water wings but this one does me well for both! It's very sturdy and no issues on dive boats

Me, too. Went with a oxycheq wing and SS bp as my first rig (after 12 dives total) about 15 months ago and have no regrets.
<snip>
Unlike some wings, the oxycheq doesn't require a STA for use with a single tank.

<snip>
One last thing: My wing is fluorescent orange, which I consider a big advantage over boring black. I want to be as visible as possible to my buddy and to the boat when I'm on the surface. No ninja diving for me.

+1 for OxyCheq. You can be forgiven for not reading every one of the posts in this thread, but I did mention I have aOxyCheq wing. It's really rugged and was priced right. Some shop owners here on SB have complained that OxyCheq customer service is terrible. Hasn't been a problem for me.

-Don

I think the SM vs Doubles discussion is interesting, but it's definitely a ways off for me. I have lots to learn and focus on with single tank diving, and by the time I get to SM/Doubles it may well be that I find myself more interested in rebreather diving as that technology continues to mature. But, it's all conjecture at this point for me anyhow. We'll see what happens as I eventually make my way beyond singles!

I realized that my initial rationale was to spend a bit more on a BP/W that could support my future diving aspirations as I think I could be inclined towards doubles, sm, CCR as I gain experience. But that was also before I understood the physics and rationale of it, this makes total sense. You don't just get one better/higher end version of the system to support all current and future diving - you reconfigure it.

As for the BP/W. I have learned a tremendous amount reading this thread, researching items, reading old threads, and then re-reading this thread from the top. Huge thank you to everyone for the detailed and thorough advice, and sometimes repetitive inquiries as I struggled through grasping these concepts. It's a lot to take in for a new diver! Also a big shoutout to Tobin from DSS for investing a solid hour explaining the science and physics to me, as it really helped all of this gel for me.

Just know I am aware of the investment everyone has made in time and energy to help me out here - there's no way I could have understood this as well without everyone's assistance and varied opinions! Many people have gone out of their way to reach out and help out. So THANK YOU - much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom