Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no lack of in-depth advice on all configurations, the big question is which one suits you best.
Another advantage of sm if out on a 2 dive morning is taking both bottles on both dives and gaining 500-1000 psi to breathe as you only need one reserve between 2 tanks. The singles divers have to leave 2 reserves.

Same with back mount doubles.

Same with back mount doubles.
Yes, same deal. I was referring more to recreational holiday boat diving with rental tanks and instabuddy's ;-)
I can decide last minute to rig another 80 and leave the pony on the boat.

Yes, same deal. I was referring more to recreational holiday boat diving with rental tanks and instabuddy's ;-)
I can decide last minute to rig another 80 and leave the pony on the boat.

I haven't been out on THAT many recreational boat charters, but I have rarely seen anyone carrying a pony bottle on one. Especially on boats at typical fly destinations like Mexico or Hawaii. I have seen one or two pony bottles in NC. And even a couple of Spare Airs...

IOW, I wouldn't really count that as much of a benefit of SM for recreational holiday boat diving. I wouldn't carry a pony or a second AL80 on those kinds of dives anyway. But, that's just me. I know there are people who say they always carry a pony. Or always on dives deeper than X feet, anyway. For those kind of dives,I normally run out of NDL before I run out of air, so I just don't feel a need.

I have seen one or two pony bottles in NC.

I've seen several pony bottles this season. I'm with you though, with the depths of these charters (typically 115' or above) and practicing good buddy diving, I personally don't find it necessary. If someone wants to carry one and they have enough skill where it doesn't potentially become a hazard, then more power to them.

Unrrelated, I've also seen several people on rebreathers this year, which they've been kind enough to let me look at their gear and talk to them about it. It's something I doubt I'll ever do, but I do appreciate the science behind it.

Unrrelated, I've also seen several people on rebreathers this year, which they've been kind enough to let me look at their gear and talk to them about it. It's something I doubt I'll ever do, but I do appreciate the science behind it.

Yeah, at the Wreck Shark Shootout, one of my dive buddies was diving a CCR and between the two boats, there were at least 2 other CCRs. Those are the first ones I've seen down there on a Rec charter.

I concede that a pony is unnecessary if you have/are a good buddy. I will not trust someone who is a train wreck underwater but I will babysit if needed. I travel with a 2 liter.

I was certified in a BP&W and still dive with one. I did 6 dives in a jacket when I was on vacation and before I had my own gear and I found it very difficult to have control of my buoyancy compared to BP&W and it was very uncomfortable.
I am confused about the control my buoyancy bit. They both do the same thing, what was the issue.
Bill

I am confused about the control my buoyancy bit. They both do the same thing, what was the issue.
Bill

I don't know what his/her issue was and I have only used a BP/W since I completed OW. But, I would speculate that the issue may have been a result of diving with, for example, a BCD with 45# lift in an environment and configuration where only 20# or so was needed. I believe when you use a BCD with a LOT more lift than what is needed, it can make buoyancy more difficult to control.

Bill

The circular air bubble of the jacket can make a diver unstable underwater. Most new divers start out in jackets and don't know what they don't know so it isn't very noticeable, but it can become glarring to someone who was certified in a back inflate BC and learned proper technique from dive 1.

Well religion certainly is useful, but if it isn't very noticeable then I wouldn't say I couldn't control my buoyancy. To me that doesn't mean unstable it means uncontrolled ascent or descent.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom