Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Op, don't discount sm just yet.

Bp/w can be a bit intimidating for a new diver although it shouldn't be. The simplicity becomes apparent as you begin to use it. There is a lot for a new diver to grasp and a jacket seems intuitive. Bp/w really isnt any different. Holds a tank and provides bouyancy compensation.

We've all been there so no worries on the time invested.

Dove my bp/w a short while ago. The wife of another diver also suiting up commented on my bare bones ss plate and wing that mine was different than her husbands. He had a scubapro back inflate. He looked at it and looked a bit more and then seemed satisfied. They didnt inquire further about what it was. I said it wasn't that much different than what he was using. I was concentrating on trimming new zip seals so I couldn't get too caught up in explaining it.

I think the SM vs Doubles discussion is interesting, but it's definitely a ways off for me. I have lots to learn and focus on with single tank diving, ...

Just so you know, you can dive single tank sidemount too. Single/double/stages, all with the exact same equipment.
11249319_10152894335666795_7336656671904412969_o.jpg

Just so you know, you can dive single tank sidemount too. Single/double/stages, all with the exact same equipment.
Out of curiosity: if you're neutral without any weights, how do you trim with single tank SM?

When I use a single 80 on the he left I still carry a 13 on the right.
I carry 2 x 2# on 2 leashes/with boltsnaps on crotch strap D ring just below the waist. Start with 2 on the right end with 2 on the left hip. This isn't necessary but on a drift dive I prefer to be able to hang motionless without roll...still haven't mastered filling one lung

a single 80 is enough to feel at the beginning of the dive but it isn't that bad, you can adjust with body positioning pretty easily. Heavier and bigger tanks are more difficult, but the 80's is super easy. People get so hell bend on mm trim accuracy in terms of weight position but your body can compensate for a surprising amount of if you let it

Out of curiosity: if you're neutral without any weights, how do you trim with single tank SM?

There's not much to trim, but if you want, a 1kg weight on the right hip does the trick.

This pic. really demonstrates how streamlined sm can be.
Is this a pic of you, Bison Ravi?

Not a pic of me, it's Santiago Pintado, excellent sidemount/cave instructor based in playa del carmen, MX. Picture by Aude, his girlfriend, in Komodo.

I got instruction from him , amongst other reasons, because he is into minimalist/streamlined configurations, and I've always been trying to streamline my gear as much as possible. Less is more :)

@filmguy123
In case you eventually end up with a BP/W.
Here's a couple of links I found useful some years ago when I had to thread and adjust the harness for myself without any mentor available. They both have very good photos and descriptions.

DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate

Webbing a Harness

and this one was great to help me get my regs set up properly for long hose.

FKD - Single Regulator Configuration

Please note that I'm not DIR/GUE trained, but I do see the logic in their way of setting up their gear. What I found after moving to a BP/W was that the closer I moved to the DIR/GUE gear configuration the better everything integrated into a cohesive whole - for me at anyway.

There is no lack of in-depth advice on all configurations, the big question is which one suits you best.
Another advantage of sm if out on a 2 dive morning is taking both bottles on both dives and gaining 500-1000 psi to breathe as you only need one reserve between 2 tanks. The singles divers have to leave 2 reserves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom