Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filmguy123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New to diving, been researching, and have had a lot of votes for a BP/W setup. It almost seems like everyone experienced just advocates to spring for this.

Yet the standard BC jacket is immensely popular.

Arguments AGAINST just getting set up in a BP/W from the get go? I'm a 31y/o male who doesn't mind things being a tad more complicated and plan to be a (relatively) active local diver (cold water, PNW) + tropical vacay diver.

I'm open to either. Unsure of future aspirations as I have yet to have much experience.

New to diving, been researching, and have had a lot of votes for a BP/W setup. It almost seems like everyone experienced just advocates to spring for this.

Yet the standard BC jacket is immensely popular.

Arguments AGAINST just getting set up in a BP/W from the get go? I'm a 31y/o male who doesn't mind things being a tad more complicated and plan to be a (relatively) active local diver (cold water, PNW) + tropical vacay diver.

I'm open to either. Unsure of future aspirations as I have yet to have much experience.

If you want "more complicated" you need to look for something other than a Hogarthian Rigged BP&W. :)

Tobin

Pros: It's simple. It can be adjusted to any size. It provides a platform to carry singles or doubles. It grows with you as your diving aspirations change.

Cons: It is buying your last bc first so if your a gear junkie or have money to waste it's not for you. The metal plate will set off most airport metal detectors. You won't match the gear that others on the cattle boat are wearing.

speaking of not matching the gear the others on the cattle boat wear... any problems with compatibility in vacation diving as such?

Will all backplates support either single or twin tanks?

Any disadvantages when doing a lot of travel (vs say a back-inflate travel BC)?

Last edited:
The only 'problem' that I have encountered while using my backplate while on vacation is the curious looks and questions about it from complete strangers while on the boat. A BP/W supports the tank and provides bouyancy compensation so there shouldn't be any dive ops against it, especially if they have any technical divers coming through then they will have some familiarity with it.

All standard plates will support either singles or twinsets. Most jacket bc will not support twin tanks.

Whatever you choose though will work. You can still be a good diver in a jacket bc. Enjoy either one. You just won't get many votes for a jacket around here.

It'll kill you.

Or not.

from filmguy23's post

speaking of not matching the gear the others on the cattle boat wear... any problems with compatibility in vacation diving as such?

Will all backplates support either single or twin tanks?

Any disadvantages when doing a lot of travel (vs say a back-inflate travel BC)?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have missed the whole thing about bp/w. The back plate is the mounting foundation for any configuration you will do. YES is the answer to your question. . You put on some poundage and you just change the 20$ belt not the entire 4oo$ bcd. you go to doubles and you change the single wing to a doubles wing. The system is a 3 part thing. plate harness and wing. You assemble each of the parts as needed for the dive. fresh water may be an al plate with 25# wing. fresh cold water may be steel plate and 40# wing. salt water maybe another configuration. It is a highly adjustable unit that allows you to get so much more out if it than you can a bcd. Unlike the bcd you make the bp/w adapt to you and not the other way around.

The only 'problem' that I have encountered while using my backplate while on vacation is the curious looks and questions about it from complete strangers while on the boat. A BP/W supports the tank and provides bouyancy compensation so there shouldn't be any dive ops against it, especially if they have any technical divers coming through then they will have some familiarity with it.

All standard plates will support either singles or twinsets. Most jacket bc will not support twin tanks.

Whatever you choose though will work. You can still be a good diver in a jacket bc. Enjoy either one. You just won't get many votes for a jacket around here.

The shop I dove in grand cayman in may with,,, called it a death trap. Then they saw it on me.

Is there any disadvantage when it comes to being able to ditch weight? With an SS plate built into the harness, it seems that if you needed to get light, quick, you're going to be more weight down than VS a BC jacket with integrated pockets to ditch?

I have noticed the BP/W slant here - like I said, open to either, I currently don't see any real disadvantage to the BP/W so that's why I'm wondering... there's GOT to be some downsides or nothing else would exist yeah?

Can anyone make arguments AGAINST the bp/w?

The shop I dove in grand cayman in may with,,, called it a death trap. Then they saw it on me.

Why?

It is one concern I have that in vacation dive destinations (which I plan to do primarily (though also a good chunk of local dives with community), it could be an issue with lack of familiarity or they wouldn't allow me to use it, etc.

Back
Top Bottom