Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tbone1004 has been pretty good about the disclaimers when he has an interest, I have always taken his sig line as an indication of which gear he favours personally. YMMV

if other manufacturers and shops offered similar cost/quality/performance than the ones that I regularly link to, then I would. No one else makes a BP/W that fits that criteria better than Tobin, so I support his products. If/when Edd or someone else offers a better deal than the Dive Rite XT package that I've been linking, then I'll post that. If someone other than UWLD gets off of their a$$ and actually properly designs a light, then I'll link to those. Many of us that have been around the industry for a while get key-man pricing from various manufacturers, I am certainly in that list, but as is just about everyone with an "instructor" title next to their name. The difference that offsets some of us is we actually only choose to recommend those that we believe in even when there is no financial incentive. I do not sell gear, I never have, and I am not on any of their payroll. Deep6 is the one exception where I am in their affiliate program, however I am recommending a lot of their gear to new divers yet.

I get no kickbacks from these guys, it is just trying to help make sure that others are aware of what they are buying prior to purchase. There are other reasons that you may need to deviate, but I am only providing recommendations based on what I believe are the best gear options in the market. My sidemount rig recommendations have changed to Hollis of all people who I am normally very outspoken against, but the Katana is just that good. This Deepblue Cosmiq thing could be the next big change in recreational diving computers so I am evaluating that to hopefully be able to make that recommendation so people can buy a better computer at a lower cost than the "Big 4" gear manufacturers *Aqualung, AUP, Huish, Scubapro*.

I really really don't like DGX, but I link to them because they offer the best deals on a lot of gear, and I am not going to boycott them on a personal beef I have with their owner if he is willing to stick a big middle finger up at the rest of the dive industry to try to help new divers. I can't in good conscience recommend any other shop in Florida other than Cave Adventurers to guys wanting to learn sidemount who haven't bought gear yet because he's the only shop that will let you try all of the gear they sell before you buy, while having a massive product selection from multiple vendors. I want people to step up and start giving these guys competition, but no one has done it yet.

I can't in good conscience recommend any other shop in Florida other than Cave Adventurers to guys wanting to learn sidemount who haven't bought gear yet because he's the only shop that will let you try all of the gear they sell before you buy, while having a massive product selection from multiple vendors.
What shop doesn't let you try gear? Have you been to the other shop in Marinanna? I also like CA, there're are other good shops in northern Florida too though.
I think you are misrepresenting reality in favour a few shops.

I do not sell gear, ...
Well, you do, kinda. You were recommending deep6 gear even before it was out.

I don't wanna fight over this, I'm just saying that a lot of your post seem like advertisement to me and I thought was weird when you said you don't like zipperless designs, yet you recommend dss wings in pretty much every thread, when people asked for advice on wings.

I never said shops won't let you try gear, I said there aren't any other shops with the variety of gear to try that you can actually buy after you try. The other shop in Marianna is not a dealer for any major manufacturers.

I do understand where you are coming from, and I am actively trying to promote the products, manufacturers, and dealers I believe in. From DSS that is focused on the LCD wings, and why I don't believe I have ever recommended a torus wing for singles. I do own a torus doubles wing, but pinch flats in doubles are much less common than in singles in my experience.

I'm confused, are we still talking about the advantages of a BP/W setup, or is this thread now about Benno's beef with Tbone.

*****MOD POST*****

LET'S GET THE THREAD BACK TO THE TOPIC: 'Arguments AGAINST just getting set up in a BP/W from the get go? '
And away from personal differences.

It diverges and then comes back. Wouldn't be any fun any other way. And yet you never know where a tdbit of useful information come from.

My only regret about going bpw (mind you it is three plates and three wings) is that I didn't try sidemount first. Tbone, you dive both. Any thoughts?

Wouldn't be any fun any other way. And yet you never know where a tdbit of useful information come from.
LOL! I guess it is like panning for gold - every once in a while a few nuggets (or maybe just flakes) come out of tangential discussions.

If we can stay reasonably close to the topic, and away from personalities, everyone wins.

I'm confused, are we still talking about the advantages of a BP/W setup, or is this thread now about Benno's beef with Tbone.
Great contribution! I don't have a beef with Tom.

I have asked a question and Tom has admitted that is indeed a affiliate of deep6 but not of the other brand. I think I have asked a legitimate question and apparently Tom thinks so too.
I do understand where you are coming from, and I am actively trying to promote the products, manufacturers, and dealers I believe in.

Besides, the OP has been getting pretty good advice for 17 pages now. I don't think he can be convinced one or the other way.

Back
Top Bottom