Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched to BP&W after my 6th dive (OW+2). Wish I had done it earlier tbh.

Nothing hard at all in using it. Only issue I had was, after the first dive with it, it was apparent the crotch strap was too long. Adjusted it (took 2 minutes) and kept diving.

Sure, but they should be testing it and labeling it when they fill it, regardless. And unless the diver is standing there watching when they analyze it, they should still be insisting that the diver analyze it (or watch) before the diver actually uses it.

Sorry, maybe my replies to the Nitrox analyzing issue and gear-setup issue were confusing. I didn't mean to conflate them. The comment you responded to was directed only to gear setup, not analyzing. I agree that a diver, even if he's only observing the analyzer display over the helpful staff member's shoulder, should himself write the information on the label and stick it on the tank.

My normal recommendation for most divers is the LCD30 wing because it is enough lift for most single tank diving, ... it is really the best overall singles wing on the market.

I have a DSS LCD30. It was my first wing. I haven't used it since I got my Hog 23# wing. But, it's not so much a difference in drag in the water. I'm not sure I could *really* tell a difference in drag between the two. Mainly it's that I really prefer a donut wing.

I have very little air in my wing a lot of the time. If I'm in good horizontal trim and I need to vent any of that air, then I have to adjust my trim briefly. Either go a bit head up to let air out through the corrugated hose, or go head down a bit to let air out of the butt dump. The closer my wing is to empty (e.g. near the end of a dive, when my tank is more buoyant) the more I have to get head up or head down to get the air to reach the exhaust. And, of course, you want to try and get your weighting right so that you're always using the least amount of air possible in your wing.

With a horseshoe wing, it makes it more of a process to get some of that last little bit of air out, if I am trying to use the butt dump. Just going head down means half the air is trapped in the right side where it can't get to the butt dump. With a horseshoe, I can go a little head down and little bit of a roll to lower my right side and all the air can get to the butt dump valve.

Also, I do think the shorter length of the Hog wing helps keep it from getting pinched (giving a pinch flat), for example, if I'm setting my fully assembled rig into a rack on a boat that has a raised lip at the bottom. The LCD wing is pretty long. Some boats have a lip in the front of the rack, or the rack sits below the level of the bench, that is enough that it could overlap the bottom of the LCD30 when mounted on an AL80.

DSS gear is extremely well made and mostly very well thought out. But, I don't use my LCD30 wing any more, because it's a horseshoe. DSS makes their Torus line of wings, which are donuts. But, I chose not to buy one of those because they are the only wing I know of that does not have a zipper to give access to the inner bladder. So, you cannot do a field repair of a puncture or a pinch flat. I have DSS, Hog, OMS, Halcyon, and Dive Rite wings. They all have zippers to access the inner bladder.

The owner of DSS has posted before that 95% of his wing repairs are fixing pinch flats, so they do happen. With a zipper to let you get to it, it's very quick and easy to repair one yourself (sometimes, anyway - sometimes, the damage is something you just can't fix), with some Aquaseal and a piece of rubber from an inner tube. You can be back diving the same day.

Sorry, maybe my replies to the Nitrox analyzing issue and gear-setup issue were confusing. I didn't mean to conflate them. The comment you responded to was directed only to gear setup, not analyzing. I agree that a diver, even if he's only observing the analyzer display over the helpful staff member's shoulder, should himself write the information on the label and stick it on the tank.

Gotcha. I see that now. My first read, I took it that you were talking about the boat staff doing CYA by assembling gear AND by analyzing your tank for you. My bad.

Do the DSS wings have a shock cord constrictor around the wing? That's one of the features I like about my HunterPac. When deflated the shock cord constricts the wing which greatly reduces drag. It also seems to help purge air when deflating regardless of trim.

no bungee constrictors on the DSS wings. Not needed with their design because it is long and narrow.

I agree that I'm not a huge fan of the zipperless design, but at the same time I haven't ever experienced a pinch flat, and likely won't as I almost never dive single tanks. I prefer horseshoe wings because they allow me to pack air in one side or the other to compensate for some difference in lateral trim

Op, to talk you out of a bp/w, there are many, many fine divers out there that dive very well with a jacket bc. There is also a great benefit in doing your ow and some other dives in a jacket as you never know when you may dive one and will have had some experience in one.

You can always get a bpw later or not at all.

Thing about it is that it is hard to talk someone out of a bpw. It does have many advantages and few disadvantages. Going from a bpw to a jacket is not a lateral transfer, it is more of a step down. Now sidemount is a different story.

Look into sidemount. For some it is another tool in the toolbox. For others, it is all they dive....

I agree that I'm not a huge fan of the zipperless design, ...
Huh? Yet you keep recommending them to people in every other thread. Why? To the reader, that doesn't make much sense.
Sometimes it almost feels like you're being paid by the companies in your signature.

Huh? Yet you keep recommending them to people in every other thread. Why? To the reader, that doesn't make much sense.
Sometimes it almost feels like you're being paid by the companies in your signature.

The LCD wings that I recommend are zippered designs

The LCD wings that I recommend are zippered designs
I didn't mean this thread in particular. In general you seem to be pushing a few manufactures/shops a lot. In combination with your signature, some people might get the impression you have some kind of deal with them... just saying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom