Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a live-aboard, you don't need to change out tanks or reassemble your gear. Don't you use a fill whip? I don't mind a crew member analyzing my gas, as long as I am witnessing it.

Changing out tanks, reassembling gear and analyzing nitrox for guests is not commonplace in the rest of industry?!?

If you are on holiday shouldn't you be pampered? If you are too busy taking care of this yourself you don't have time to enjoy your surface interval. Between dives you should be able to relax, eat a fine meal, go for a swim or snorkel, take an excursion (did I mention eat a fine meal?), read a good book, work on your photos and spend time with loved ones or making new friends.
It takes me 2min max to change my BP over from one tank to the other. What fine meal did I miss in those 2 min? ;-)

Last edited:
I talked to a local shop about the BP/W setup VS a BC type of system.

They sell, in store on the shelf, both rigs.

I was recommended by them not to start with a BP/W setup - not because they aren't great, and not because I may not want to move to one in the future. But rather because, as they put it (paraphrased): "It's very easy to say as a diver who has had some experience looking back that 'I should have just started with a BP/W' setup." But that's also forgetting the initial learning curve of the brand new diver - there's a lot of things to get comfortable with when first starting out, and it's much better to make sure you are fully comfortable in the water first and understand the principles through experience, not just head knowledge.

The impression I got from them (a shop who sells both) was that experienced divers tend to forget what its like to be a brand new diver. The suggestion seemed to imply, "sure, switch to a BP/W early in your career - but starting with one on your first 20-40 dives could be detrimental". They encouraged borrowing a BC or finding a used one cheap to start out, or if I was inclined, find a back inflate BC to start so that it would be an even easier transition to a BP/W principles.

I know there's a passionate pro BP/W community here and I really do think that's great and I am inclined towards it, but it was interesting to hear some advice that indicated while I may well want to be an early BP/W adopter that I really may be best served to get dives 0-50 (or 0-20, adjust to taste) under my belt before moving to a higher end setup.

Without crucifying the shop or the BC jacket, any balanced feedback and thoughts on this for starting out in the very initial diving stages? A number of other experienced and respected members, whose voices in this thread have been quieter, have also indicated the advantages of starting out with a BC while getting my feet wet. It seems this is not an uncommon sentiment.

This is a "talk me out of a BP/W setup" thread after all. (There's really no need to worry, even if I wasn't to do my first few dozen dives on one, it doesn't mean I won't convert).

Wanted to bounce these new thoughts off the community.

My very first dive out of OW certification, so dive number 5, was in my current Zeagle Express Tech. While not "exactly" a BP/W in the trueist HOG sense, it is a back inflate BCD with a plastic plate and a comfort harness. There is nothing "extra" to learn. I was drawn to it because I am a "streamline" junky and after using a jacket BCD during my training, I hated all the extra stuff and fluff that the jacket was, to me. To each their own, as there has been so much good info given in this tread that if you are not convinced one way or the other by now, there is little chance that will happen with 20 or 30 more posts.

I was certified in a BP&W and still dive with one. I did 6 dives in a jacket when I was on vacation and before I had my own gear and I found it very difficult to have control of my buoyancy compared to BP&W and it was very uncomfortable.

I think that is just silly. If they are going to sell and presumably help you set it up properly you have passed the hard part. Otherwise its the same, you put it on, clip in add air, dump air, all the same. Except that your trim will be better than the rest of the class :wink: The only thing I think that as a brand new diver I would find a little more challenging to get used to is the shorter inflator hose on my bpw. You can't really see it so you go by feel. I can imagine that a person learning may be more comfortable being able to look over at the inflate/dump buttons. But really, after a handful of uses its second nature. I would hope that they are not just insuring a 2nd sale...

I've been using a BP/W from dive 1, it's never been an issue. I'm not going to slam your LDS, but I will say I don't agree with their advice or reasoning regarding the BP/W

I have BPs and I have soft harnesses. For single tanks, I prefer the soft harness to the backplate. You get the versatility of a backplate without what I experience as discomfort with a single tank on a backplate

"sure, switch to a BP/W early in your career - but starting with one on your first 20-40 dives could be detrimental"

Hmmm... So the shop said you should buy a jacket BC first, then get a BP/W after 20 dives? Well that does make sense from a business point of view! Maybe they have a plan where they sell you a new one each month so that you always have the ideal rig for your level of experience.... :D

Back
Top Bottom