Talcum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scowens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've searched for 'Talc' for dry suits and came across using KY jelly. Got two questions to pose:

1. Where do you by talc? I've tried seaching CVS.com and Walgreens.com, eBay, no luck on uncented.

2. Mfgs (DUI) don't mention using KY, is there some concern by the mfgs?

Thanks
Steve Owens

Can buy unscented talc at any car parts store. They use it as a lube for putting a tire onto a wheel.

Just as good is to spray soapy water onto the seal. My preference is 1 part Baby Shampoo to 3 parts water. This works great as long as you put it on immediately while the soapy water is still wet. That is an advantage of the talc--it stays dry til you're ready. The soapy water is also a great de-fog.

KY jelly has some excellent uses, but I doubt that latex seal lub is one of them. :)

theskull

Talc works well between dives to protect the seals in addition to making the seal slide on easier. I normally talc the seals after the suit has been rinsed and dried. You can get talc at many sports stores as it is also used in pool and bowling, and also through a local dive shop as various companies sell it for use with dry suits.

Of course Wal-mart is a lot more convenient so I tend to just use baby powder. Contrary to popular belief, the scented oils have not degraded my latex seals and I have nearly 6 years on the neck and wrist seals on one of my drysuits.

scowens:
I've searched for 'Talc' for dry suits and came across using KY jelly. Got two questions to pose:

1. Where do you by talc? I've tried seaching CVS.com and Walgreens.com, eBay, no luck on uncented.

2. Mfgs (DUI) don't mention using KY, is there some concern by the mfgs?

Thanks
Steve Owens

Talczilla

Removes some yuk as it protects. Makes the seals slide on very easily... very smoooov. I love it.

Use after you rinse & dry - after you lube the zip, etc. as part of your post-dive.

I'll bring it on a multi-day trip. But on a 2 or 3 dive day, it stays at home.

I generally use talc from dive store for my drysuit and find it pretty good. More recently I've bought "Simple" talc from local pharmacy or supermarket. It has no
added perfume or other additives so I use it on wetsuit seals to ease dressing.

Website is.... www.keep-life-simple.com

You may find a similar product in USA.

I know some people that have also bought those little bags that people use rock climbing. It's a white sac w/ a bunch of talc in it that you can pick out of a pocket and rub on your hands. It's like $3.50 for a big sack of it.

Yep...as long as it's non-scented, non-additived (yeah, I know that's not a word..heh). As long as it's pure talc!

One of my friends works in a paper-mill, and they use pure talc in the paper making process. He asked one his suppliers for a small sample, and they gave him 3 pounds of it. That always works too.

I found my talc online at a bondage supplier's website! It was really cheap, and it gave the rest of my office something to talk about for a while.....

Niiiiice :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom