T2T forum entrance requirements change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those 2 yaaahoos weren't inspired by the internet (although they could have been) they were "inspired" by their standards breaking yet "famous" instructor. Even though he supposedly failed them.

While there's obviously various themes of "too far too fast" around here we've got ALOT of the opposite problem, seemingly endless practicing.

I know. I just couldn't resist bringing that up here.

So, first I need to know who approves or disapproves of the following proposed requirements:

1.Allowing Intro to Cave (or equivalent) rather than Full Cave
2.Allowing those certified to deco with two gasses (one of which is 100%) rather than requiring Trimix.
Your comments please?

--Intro to cave, basic cave, apprentice divers here? No problem by me.
--Advanced Nitrox/Decompression procedures divers here? No problem by me either.

IRT some other comments: There are those who do not talk about exploration & there are those who simply cannot STFU about it.:idk:

IRT people not asking questions in public, I agree that many will not ask questions in public but will resort to PM's, e-mails and phone calls. I got a phone call and an e-mail yesterday regarding issues that would be interesting & enlightening here regarding Accident Analysis.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but...well...I miss the old TDS.

I mean, old. like 4 or 6 years ago, when most of the threads were pretty on-topic as far as advanced diving went. (Spirited too, admittedly, but nevertheless entertaining). You could ask a question and get an authoritative answer.

Then it turned...nasty. And now it's 80% recreational divers asking inane questions, or the same offering equally clueless answers, so why bother.

...Anyway, brought it up, because with some care and feeding, we *might* end up with all the good points here in this forum. Quality without wading through the BS. Which would make it worthwhile.

The question is, what kind of care and feeding.

All the best, James

TDS of old was one of the best forums available, its actually pretty pathetic now - I agree and have stated it several times. I still think alot of it is Chris Brown's fault - although the userbase has definately changed for the worse.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but...well...I miss the old TDS.

I mean, old. like 4 or 6 years ago, when most of the threads were pretty on-topic as far as advanced diving went. (Spirited too, admittedly, but nevertheless entertaining). You could ask a question and get an authoritative answer.

Then it turned...nasty. And now it's 80% recreational divers asking inane questions, or the same offering equally clueless answers, so why bother.

...Anyway, brought it up, because with some care and feeding, we *might* end up with all the good points here in this forum. Quality without wading through the BS. Which would make it worthwhile.

The question is, what kind of care and feeding.

All the best, James

That was pretty much the goal for T2T.

One problem with TDS and the like is that eventually recreational divers found their way there and there is no vetting process.

On the other hand, allowing lower qualified members to post is what led to some of those spirited discussions. The trick we're trying to achieve with this thread is find an acceptable balance.

(yeah, I know, ask 10 tech divers opinions, get 13 answers) :)

TDS of old was one of the best forums available, its actually pretty pathetic now - I agree and have stated it several times. I still think alot of it is Chris Brown's fault - although the userbase has definately changed for the worse.

So, the question to all of you is what do you feel we need to do to recreate that type of environment here in T2T. Recruit more tech members? Lower the entrance requirements? Something else?

Because this is a private forum I've got a pretty wide leeway in what we can do here. Mods can be hand picked. Members who cause problems can be kicked out. We can call a spade a spade (but let's still try to show a little respect and decorum).

I too miss the old TDS, and tried to address some of the issues that killed it. What do the members of T2T think is missing?

You can try recruiting more tech members, but I would not lower requirements at all.

If you try to force dialogue, its gonna suck.

Last edited:
any tech qualification, that could be intro to tec or fundies with a tech pass. That way we don't get the "wanna get into tech but haven't even started yet stupid fing questions" but will get the "new guy slightly dumb but stimulating questions that even occasionally touch on brilliant and something we haven't covered/thought of discussing before"

That we we have many more conversations and will also be helping the newer tech divers.

we also need to allow the participants to call something/idea stupid without it being viewed by teh mods as a personal attack...it only gets personal when we call a person farm animal stupid :)

any tech qualification, that could be intro to tec or fundies with a tech pass. That way we don't get the "wanna get into tech but haven't even started yet stupid fing questions" but will get the "new guy slightly dumb but stimulating questions that even occasionally touch on brilliant and something we haven't covered/thought of discussing before"

That we we have many more conversations and will also be helping the newer tech divers.

we also need to allow the participants to call something/idea stupid without it being viewed by teh mods as a personal attack...it only gets personal when we call a person farm animal stupid :)
Any way we could have a n00bie tech section, where those with legit questions can ask and replies can only come from people with some verified experience?

Any way we could have a n00bie tech section, where those with legit questions can ask and replies can only come from people with some verified experience?

I don't think experience can actually be verified, its cyber diving afterall. There does come a point where someone has said enough intelligent things that their qualifications or experience are less questioned. I hope no one is beyond question, that's just lazy thinking.

I don't think experience can actually be verified, its cyber diving afterall. There does come a point where someone has said enough intelligent things that their qualifications or experience are less questioned. I hope no one is beyond question, that's just lazy thinking.
At least for the NFL guys, we know (or know of) most everyone on here, and have a rough idea of what they're up to. Not sure how it works in other areas of the world tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom