Switching to BP/W, need wing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayde323

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a steel backplate but not sure which wing I want to commit to. This past weekend I tried HOG's 32lb singles wing HOG 32 lb Wing for Single Cylinder Diving and a Dive Rite Venture wing Dive-Rite Venture Wings (45 Lbs. lift) # 2077).

They both have features I like about them, especially the price (both are under $200). I don't want a wing thats too large and both of these are on the thinner side. Both were good on trim and buoyancy. As for ease of staying comfy on the surface, both were about the same. I liked the HOG since it was a smaller overall wing. What I didn't like about it was the dump valve is on the inside of the wing. I know there are reasons for this, but I personally like one that is on the outside, so I can dump-and-go so to speak. As for the Dive Rite, I didn't care for the shape. The wider bottom folded over itself and trapped some air, so I had to manupulate the wing a little to free the air, plus, when it was inflated, the bottom pushed into my lower back (the harness was a tad loose, so this may have been the cause)

I am coming from a traditional jacket-style BC that I love. The reason I am moving over to BP/W is I am taking the GUE Fundies class later this year and it's required you have your own BP/W. My tanks are AL80's.

So, my question is: If you dive a BP/W, what kind and why? Looking back, would you buy a different wing? I am hoping to get some good advise. The more I research and look at different wings, the more confusing it gets....

Well, Tobin will probably weigh in here soon on determining the size wing you need, but if you are diving relatively warm water in Florida, and using an Al80, you almost certainly aren't going to need 45 pounds of lift.

The dump valve on the bottom of the wing is counterintuitive, but actually works quite well. You grab the string and rotate your hand, so the dump turns upward.

I have a 30 lb horseshoe DSS wing, and my husband has the Torus wing for his singles rig. I like DSS gear -- it's well made and thoughtfully designed, and Tobin's customer service is unparalleled.

I dive an oms 32lb wing which is almost identical to the HOG/Edge 32lb wing and it works great for single tanks in every size I have used and I use my 32lb wing for diving with dual aluminum 80's and 1 deco bottle even when in a wetsuit. my plate is a 9lb stainless FredT with a 5lb STA.

If your diving steel doubles or using more than 1 stage/deco tank the 32 wont be enough but for diving single tanks that 45 will be to much IMO.

I have a larry green 45 and the oms 32 and thats been enough for everything I have ever done but I also dive dry when using the heavier tanks.

if you set that hog 32lb wing next to my oms 32 they are the same in ever way except the logo....

If you do a search on the username cool_hardware52 (Tobin from DSS), you will find a lot of good information about wing sizing and designs. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...systems/273662-can-you-recommend-me-wing.html was a thread I found quickly that goes over this information. After reading through some of his threads and having several conversations with him regarding wing sizing you will definitely walk away having a much better understanding of the hows and whys of wing design and sizing.

Here is another thread on the deco stop that goes over a similar question. http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36741

Last edited:
While you'd get the most from a complete DSS singles package, even alone the DSS wings are quite nice. As others have mentioned, only you can determine your lift requirements, but help is available. Tobin has made numerous posts about how to figure out how much lift you'll need; I'm sure a quick search will turn up more than you're looking for.

I have an Oxychek and a Diverite TecWing, both 35# lift (If I remember correctly) they both work great. I use the Diverite for a aluminum BP with a SS STA and the Oxychek for my doubles.

Mike

I have a steel backplate but not sure which wing I want to commit to. This past weekend I tried HOG's 32lb singles wing HOG 32 lb Wing for Single Cylinder Diving and a Dive Rite Venture wing Dive-Rite Venture Wings (45 Lbs. lift) # 2077).

They both have features I like about them, especially the price (both are under $200). I don't want a wing thats too large and both of these are on the thinner side. Both were good on trim and buoyancy. As for ease of staying comfy on the surface, both were about the same. I liked the HOG since it was a smaller overall wing. What I didn't like about it was the dump valve is on the inside of the wing. I know there are reasons for this, but I personally like one that is on the outside, so I can dump-and-go so to speak. As for the Dive Rite, I didn't care for the shape. The wider bottom folded over itself and trapped some air, so I had to manupulate the wing a little to free the air, plus, when it was inflated, the bottom pushed into my lower back (the harness was a tad loose, so this may have been the cause)

I am coming from a traditional jacket-style BC that I love. The reason I am moving over to BP/W is I am taking the GUE Fundies class later this year and it's required you have your own BP/W. My tanks are AL80's.

So, my question is: If you dive a BP/W, what kind and why? Looking back, would you buy a different wing? I am hoping to get some good advise. The more I research and look at different wings, the more confusing it gets....

I see you are in Florida.

With thinner wetsuits the required wing size is function of the maximum negative buoyancy of your rig. With a SS back plate, regulator and al80 tank your rig will be only about -10 lbs with a full tank.

With thicker suits, i.e. 5mm and up the buoyancy of the wetsuit usually determines the minimum wing size.

The typical 5mm suit will be 10-14 lbs positive.

Unless you plan to use wetsuits thicker than 5mm or so, you won't need a very large wing. ~20 lbs. would be more than enough.

All things being equal, smaller wings will have a smaller profile, and less tank wrap, making them easier to dive.

Tobin

I dive an OxyCheq 30# Mach V single wing, and have been very happy with it, I did a short review of the wing in 2007, and a link to the review is posted below.

Caribbean Blue Diving Services: Review of OxyCheq 30# Mach V Wing

Good luck to you in navigating the many excellent choices already mentioned in this post!

to the OP, DR makes a 27# wing called Travel wing(360 degree style---some literature says it's 30#s so take your pick).....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom